How to use Europa/Grain Compressor?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2021

I'm no noobie to compression, but I find the compressor on Europa and Grain extremely difficult to use.

It's drastically changes the volume of the synth so much that I actually can't hear what it's really doing.

Any tips here?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Loque

10 Feb 2021

Yea, the gain goes up when lowering the threshold or increasing the ratio.
Adjust by ear to get the volume control you are looking for. Than adjust the main volume.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2021

I actually recently reported that as a bug. For whatever reason I've not taken a look at those compressors before recently. But yea, at times it can cause a boost of 20-30 dB, no joke! And if you like to explore extreme settings as I do (especially on a synth), there's no makeup gain to bring the level back to a reasonable place.
My suggestions: add a gain reduction meter (even a simple one), provide a manual makeup gain mode (currently it uses auto makeup gain, which has never worked well for me even in the SSL channel comp). The reason I suggest adding a makeup gain "mode" (with a switch) is that they cannot change the basic behavior since it would break patches that use it.
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

10 Feb 2021

Best way to use the comoressor is to click the off button and add a compressor RE after the synth. ;)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

deeplink
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
10 Feb 2021
But yea, at times it can cause a boost of 20-30 dB, no joke!
Ya, I fully get the idea of Auto Make-Up gain but these compressor tends to go way beyond the call of duty here.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Kalm

11 Feb 2021

I can hear it doing something on extreme settings, then I do what Loque suggests. Its crazy the change in Gain this thing does.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information