Ways to improve Reason+ (ranged by increasing cost)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

10 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Thanks for the feedback! Who do you think does covers really well? I'll make sure to pass that onto the design team.
Any chance you can post the current images so us non subscribers can take a peek.

joeyluck

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Thanks for the feedback! Who do you think does covers really well? I'll make sure to pass that onto the design team.
Any chance you can post the current images so us non subscribers can take a peek.
You can see images throughout promotional material. You can also see the latest six here:
https://share.reasonstudios.com/

You can also view them individually with links such as this: https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/07/

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021

You can see images throughout promotional material. You can also see the latest six here:
https://share.reasonstudios.com/

You can also view them individually with links such as this: https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/07/
Thanks joey, I will check them out.

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

They look cool, one thing I would do is add a bit of extra space at the bottom to push the Reason Studios tag down a couple of lines.
IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG (225.24 KiB) Viewed 1998 times

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

Do you include the Reason project files for the demo tracks, that would be real nice especially if it shows the mixing and mastering using Reason devices. I'm not to keen on the trap packs but I quite like the pop chords pack.

Definitely worth including the demo project files to show how to build an arrangement as well as mixing & mastering within Reason.

Might be worth the extra effort as it's a skill that takes quite a bit of learning and can make a real difference between just another pack or a valuable learning resource.

joeyluck

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Do you include the Reason project files for the demo tracks, that would be real nice especially if it shows the mixing and mastering using Reason devices. I'm not to keen on the trap packs but I quite like the pop chords pack.

Definitely worth including the demo project files to show how to build an arrangement as well as mixing & mastering within Reason.

Might be worth the extra effort as it's a skill that takes quite a bit of learning and can make a real difference between just another pack or a valuable learning resource.
Yes, those things are included. Audio demos, Reason projects, patches.

Pack contents.png
Pack contents.png (46.83 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

Nice, thanks joey.

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

Am I correct in thinking that they can be shared between the original downloader / subscriber and a non subscriber?

joeyluck

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Am I correct in thinking that they can be shared between the original downloader / subscriber and a non subscriber?
The links? Yes. They are only previews. You can of course browse them manually by changing the pack number in the url. And then those preview pages will point you to the Companion app where you as a R+ subscriber can download the packs.

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
The links? Yes. They are only previews. You can of course browse them manually by changing the pack number in the url. And then those preview pages will point you to the Companion app where you as a R+ subscriber can download the packs.
That's not what I was asking.

If a subscription user created something with a pack and wants to work on a track with a non subscription user can they legally?

joeyluck

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2021

That's not what I was asking.

If a subscription user created something with a pack and wants to work on a track with a non subscription user can they legally?
I guess I'm still not sure what you are asking. I would imagine all legal rules apply. Just the same as you would collaborate with someone else on a song who is using different ReFills, Kontakt Libraries, samples, etc. Yes, you can create a collaborative work with those elements. But those elements are in that song and they are not made available to use freely by the other person. Your collaborator cannot grant you access to use them outside of the work and vice versa. Does that answer your question?

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2021
I guess I'm still not sure what you are asking. I would imagine all legal rules apply. Just the same as you would collaborate with someone else on a song who is using different ReFills, Kontakt Libraries, samples, etc. Yes, you can create a collaborative work with those elements. But those elements are in that song and they are not made available to use freely by the other person. Your collaborator cannot grant you access to use them outside of the work and vice versa. Does that answer your question?

It doesn't really answer, but I understand the point.

I can work with a + but I must delete any + patches and should not use them in my work unless I become a +

bxbrkrz

10 Feb 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
10 Feb 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
04 Feb 2021
Maybe our (edit: an?) age group is not reacting well to whom the colorful designed packs are for?
I remember the first time I "tried" Reason. I thought it was so full of colors and so much fun to look at, compared to Cubase. I don't think the design is amateurish, imho. They know who they are targeting. Cubase, Protools, Logic, they can be dark and serious, but "having fun" has always been part of Reason's design language.
To me the most urgent problem with Reason and R+ is that dongle situation. There is another thread focused on that already, of course.
Cool stuff to think about in that list.
No-no, I’m not saying that pack designs look like they target amateur musicians. What I mean is that they’re themselves made by amateur graphic designers. Ultimately this changes nothing as it’s their actual content that matters but it leaves a weird impression after all at least for me.
The sound packs replaced crate digging. My point is the design is targeting a specific age group we may (both of us) not belong to anymore. The same is true when one walks in a supermarket and is not attracted by cereal boxes with colorful dinosaurs on them. Different trigger mechanisms for different age group. Not the skill level of the targeted market.
I am looking at the packs from Akai and find their design very boring, imho.

The kaleidoscope I hope R+ is trying to achieve.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2021

It doesn't really answer, but I understand the point.

I can work with a + but I must delete any + patches and should not use them in my work unless I become a +
No no, a patch is just a patch. You can use them in your work however you please, whether or not you are a subscriber. You can do whatever you want with it. We own them (no external creators to think about in terms of royalties etc), and we are distributing them to you via Reason+.

The value in being part of Reason+ is that you get new content all the time AND you have all the devices needed to use the content.

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

Hi James good to see your about,
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021
No no, a patch is just a patch. You can use them in your work however you please, whether or not you are a subscriber. You can do whatever you want with it. We own them (no external creators to think about in terms of royalties etc), and we are distributing them to you via Reason+.

The value in being part of Reason+ is that you get new content all the time AND you have all the devices needed to use the content.
My original question was

"Am I correct in thinking that they can be shared between the original downloader / subscriber and a non subscriber?"

The answer I got was basically kinda yes but the non subscribers shouldn't keep and subsequently use them, are you saying this is not the case?

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

Think of this a one scenario.

My brother listens to me and I convince him to try Reason+

He downloaded all the packs and wanted to share them with me.

He then decides he doesn't like Reason+

Can I keep the packs?
Was he wrong to share them?
Should I delete them?
Can I use them?

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Can I keep the packs?
Should I delete them?
Can I use them?
So, once they are downloaded, they're on your hard disk and you can do what you like with them. So yes, you can keep/use them, you should not delete them and it's not wrong to share them. Keep in mind you'll need the right devices to use them, so if you already own most of the devices, great. Over time, it may be harder to stay compatible as more patch content uses more new devices etc.

Our job is not to lock all the content down so it's not usable anymore, our job is to make Reason+ so compelling that people want to stay with the service for a long period of time because it gives them so much joy, value and musical pleasure!
Last edited by jamespember on 10 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Can I keep the packs?
Should I delete them?
Can I use them?
So, once they are downloaded, they're on your hard disk and you can do what you like with them. So yes, you can keep/use them, you should not delete them and it's not wrong to share them.

Our job is not to lock all the content down so it's not usable anymore, our job is to make Reason+ so compelling that people want to stay with the service for a long period of time because it gives them so much joy, value and musical pleasure!
That's exceptional James!

Also did you see this post from me? :-viewtopic.php?p=541952#p541952

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

So, once they are downloaded, they're on your hard disk and you can do what you like with them. So yes, you can keep/use them, you should not delete them and it's not wrong to share them.

That's exceptional James!

Also did you see this post from me? :-viewtopic.php?p=541952#p541952
Yep, noted!

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Can I keep the packs?
Should I delete them?
Can I use them?
So, once they are downloaded, they're on your hard disk and you can do what you like with them. So yes, you can keep/use them, you should not delete them and it's not wrong to share them. Keep in mind you'll need the right devices to use them, so if you already own most of the devices, great. Over time, it may be harder to stay compatible as more patch content uses more new devices etc.

Just for the sake of clarification in that scenario you do understand that I am not a subscriber?

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Just for the sake of clarification in that scenario you do understand that I am not a subscriber?
Yes, and I wasn't born yesterday and I can read between the lines and know exactly what you are trying to get me to confirm for you :)

Here's the thing: If patches are shared here and there between subscribers and non-subscribers, that's OK and we cannot do much to stop that, given we chose to not implement any copy protection or new formats for the Packs. That said, if we see widespread abuse of this (such as mass sharing of Packs on here), we'll likely step in and do something about it. Hope that's clear :)

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Yes, and I wasn't born yesterday and I can read between the lines and know exactly what you are trying to get me to confirm for you :)

Here's the thing: If patches are shared here and there between subscribers and non-subscribers, that's OK and we cannot do much to stop that, given we chose to not implement any copy protection or new formats for the Packs. That said, if we see widespread abuse of this (such as mass sharing of Packs on here), we'll likely step in and do something about it. Hope that's clear :)

Hahahahaha.....

With that said, I would never accuse you of being born yesterday, I've seen your picture :o (please take as humor)

Any you could "do something about it" by saying it's not acceptable, however I appreciate your up front honesty and understand that registration of www.freecontentpacks.com is not acceptable. It's a good middle ground stance to take I guess. :clap: :thumbs_up:

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Hahahahaha.....

With that said, I would never accuse you of being born yesterday, I've seen your picture :o (please take as humor)

Any you could "do something about it" by saying it's not acceptable, however I appreciate your up front honesty and understand that registration of www.freecontentpacks.com is not acceptable. It's a good middle ground stance to take I guess. :clap: :thumbs_up:
Haha! Those pesky grey hairs in my beard are really starting to take over now! :lol:

Glad to hear it's clear for you now!

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Haha! Those pesky grey hairs in my beard are really starting to take over now! :lol:

Crystal clear,

but It does beg the question

Why make them subscription only when I think you would have won a lot of brownie points giving us perpetual owners access via companion and that might have made more people try and possibly buy the extra rack extensions.

All I'm saying is think about it!

joeyluck

10 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
10 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Crystal clear,

but It does beg the question

Why make them subscription only when I think you would have won a lot of brownie points giving us perpetual owners access via companion and that might have made more people try and possibly buy the extra rack extensions.

All I'm saying is think about it!
Just curious, why haven't you just hit the try button on Reason+ to have access to all of these packs now and all the new ones that will be made available in the next 30 days? As far as access, you can have access to Companion free for 30 days...

• Information