Reason 10 on Apple M1

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cocoazenith

07 Feb 2021

I know Reason Studios' statement but can anyone here confirm from first hand experience that it doesn't work?

Cheers!

Edit:
I did the test myself and despite their statement, I can confirm that Reason 10 in fact WORKS with Apple Silicon M1 on MacOS Big Sur !!!

tronam

07 Feb 2021

cocoazenith wrote:
07 Feb 2021
I know Reason Studios' statement but can anyone here confirm from first hand experience that it doesn't work?

Cheers!

Edit:
I did the test myself and despite their statement, I can confirm that Reason 10 in fact WORKS with Apple Silicon M1 on MacOS Big Sur !!!
Yeah, it runs for me as well. Actually, pretty much all applications work along with more than 100 plugins I've tested, although with Reason I've noticed its multi-core functionality seems a bit confused by the M1 architecture (which doesn't use hyperthreading, for example). Thankfully the single core performance is so high that I haven't encountered any issues loading past projects. It's weird to see one passively cooled M1 core be more powerful than most of my computers over the past 25 years.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

cocoazenith

07 Feb 2021

tronam wrote:
07 Feb 2021
cocoazenith wrote:
07 Feb 2021

Cheers!

Edit:
Yeah, it runs for me as well. Actually, pretty much all applications work along with more than 100 plugins I've tested, although with Reason I've noticed its multi-core functionality seems a bit confused by the M1 architecture (which doesn't use hyperthreading, for example). Thankfully the single core performance is so high that I haven't encountered any issues loading past projects. It's weird to see one passively cooled M1 core be more powerful than most of my computers over the past 25 years.
Thank you for this. One of my plugins was acting hectic and after I disabled multi-core support from the R10 settings, it now works fine. All my projects are back baby!

helmutson

08 Feb 2021

I'm on Mac Mini M1 and I have to confess that the pure performance with Logic Pro 10.6 is unbelievable.
Same with Final Cut etc. I never ever have to thought about the cpu meter display again ... I'm very happy with it.
R11 runs too very well, but unfortunately not as a plugin under Logic , don't know why ... maybe because its not supported, only with Rosetta2 and Logic is native... whatever, if the RS guys decide that they support the M1 processors, it would be amazing and I think they should do it fast, since the Reason Rack as a plugin is their main thing now .

buddard
RE Developer

08 Feb 2021

helmutson wrote:
08 Feb 2021
I'm on Mac Mini M1 and I have to confess that the pure performance with Logic Pro 10.6 is unbelievable.
Same with Final Cut etc. I never ever have to thought about the cpu meter display again ... I'm very happy with it.
R11 runs too very well, but unfortunately not as a plugin under Logic , don't know why ... maybe because its not supported, only with Rosetta2 and Logic is native... whatever, if the RS guys decide that they support the M1 processors, it would be amazing and I think they should do it fast, since the Reason Rack as a plugin is their main thing now .
I think if you start Logic with Rosetta (right click on Logic icon, choose Get Info and check “Open using Rosetta”), you should be able to load the Reason AU.

I’m pretty sure that Reason will support Apple Silicon eventually (because why shouldn’t they?), but the above workaround should be sufficient until then, although with a slight performance penalty.

helmutson

08 Feb 2021

Thanx man, will try it out asap ... :thumbup:

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Feb 2021

Reason project play up to sound clicks and total stop to play project.
More length = better stable playing of the project.

MBP 2018 i7 6-core 2.2Ghz 32RAM (same config of CPU to Mac mini 2018)
128: 32 sec
256: 57 sec
512: 1.06 sec
1024: 1.17 sec

Mac mini M1 8Gb
128: 5.28 sec
256: 17.75
512: 27.69 sec
1024: 32.5 sec

Rosetta work bad, if you look at the MacBook Pro 15 / Mac mini 2018 machines... 2018 vs 2021 M1 under rosetta?
Not. Right now - Rosetta very slow solution to work with Reason.
Rosetta slower few times if compare to Intel Macbook Pro / Mac mini 2018 (8th Gen i7)

All we can do, just to wait Reason UniversalBinary2 build, that make support for Arms and Intel macs.
Today much harder to sell used Intel MBP.. In few months, new M1 used machines also must be sell harder (as intel currently), because new generation MBP, MacPro, iMacs - must work in new powerful level, that for intel cant be possible to compare. But now Intel is near... Because Arm-software today not the bigger part of Mac software. Reason as Intel - real examples...
Also add situation with Pro Audio interfaces that really support today M1... (Apogee not, RME under beta, PreSonus not.. etc..)

cocoazenith

10 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote:
09 Feb 2021

Rosetta work bad, if you look at the MacBook Pro 15 / Mac mini 2018 machines... 2018 vs 2021 M1 under rosetta?
Rosetta slower few times if compare to Intel Macbook Pro / Mac mini 2018 (8th Gen i7)
Actually, since running reason 10 on my mac mini m1, i got rid of a bug that happened on three different intel computers:
a mac mini 2018 6-core, an imac 2017 and an asus pn-50 ryzen 4300u mini pc. on all these computers - some plugins
like PluginGuru Unify or Roland Cloud plug-ings were creating audio dropouts and crackles when i was switching windows
between Reason 10 and Safari on Mac or Edge on PC, or adding new VST plugins to the rack.

Now on my Mac Mini M1 this doesn't happen anymore!

Indeed I have disabled the multi-core option and it is strange to run Reason on only one core. And maybe the answer was to
run the other computers on one core as well. I will test them. But it that's the case then I would rather run Reason 10 one one
core of the M1 than one core of the Intel i5 or Ryzen 4300U. Also upgrading to R11 or R+ is not an option.

Cheers!

turn2on
RE Developer

10 Feb 2021

Its not normal to have any dropouts in Reason at Intel macs when you work with browsers or finder.
Did you use setting in presences "play Reason background"?

cocoazenith

10 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Its not normal to have any dropouts in Reason at Intel macs when you work with browsers or finder.
Yes, play Reason in background is active.

Here is an interesting Youtube video about why the M1 is so good at single thread/core operations
and this kind of explains why it's working really well even without multi-core/hyperthread:

integerpoet

17 Feb 2021

My experience has been somewhat problematic.

Once every couple of hours or so, I get a spin (AKA beach ball AKA SPoD AKA rainbow spinner) that lasts for a minute or so.

Despite some facility with reading spin dumps, I was unable to make sense of the one I grabbed.

Happily, we generally make a full recovery from these spins.

I can't remember experiencing anything like this on Intel Macs.

helmutson

22 Feb 2021

Can someone of the pros can confirm that R11 just using one core of the new M1 machines ?
The performance is veeery good on my MacMini and if this only one core , I can't imagine whats possible when Reason is full supported ...

Billy+

22 Feb 2021

Yeah I'm %99 certain that it's using just one core on M1 however R10 isn't even going to be natively supported!

---Edit---

I see you are asking about R11 and I'm not sure if that's going to be nativity supported either, I would bet not as we "should" be getting a major update at some point this year!

Re8et
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote:
09 Feb 2021

Also add situation with Pro Audio interfaces that really support today M1... (Apogee not, RME under beta, PreSonus not.. etc..)
Motu Ultralite Firewire... lost forever... I'd stick with Snow Leopard and Imac with big firewire for me Apple ends there...
Any news about Firewire ports???

npinero1

22 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Should this "play Reason background" setting be set to ON or OFF for Intel Macs?
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

turn2on
RE Developer

23 Feb 2021

Re8et wrote:
22 Feb 2021
turn2on wrote:
09 Feb 2021

Motu Ultralite Firewire... lost forever... I'd stick with Snow Leopard and Imac with big firewire for me Apple ends there...
Any news about Firewire ports???
Don't know about situation on the M1, but you can use today Thunderbolt hub, that include firewire.

@npinero1, never have problem on intelmacs with Play background = On.
Few interfaces on the Mac (Internal CoreAudio interface / Balance / Apogee Element / RME Babyface Pro / Zoom TAC-16) work very nice, I'm usually have drops when change active sound app - under Windows when using Asio

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote:
23 Feb 2021

Few interfaces on the Mac (Internal CoreAudio interface / Balance / Apogee Element / RME Babyface Pro / Zoom TAC-16) work very nice, I'm usually have drops when change active sound app - under Windows when using Asio
Motu says the old-legacy devices works - not so all the DSP and soft bundles. Newest one have active driver development testing ongoing for the DSP's and devices but not working at moment.

USB and "Hybrid" audio interfaces
The USB and "Hybrid" interface models listed below appear to be compatible with macOS Big Sur. Testing is on-going. Be sure to download and install the very latest shipping drivers. You must install these latest drivers before you can use your MOTU product listed below with macOS Big Sur.

828x
Track 16
MicroBook II
MicroBook IIc
8pre USB
4pre
Audio Express
UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2021

The thing that bugs me is why Playstation 5 and Xbox has Liquid metal cooling and M1's etc have this!
It's pretty nonsense. Mini M1 looks cool however.
Would be cool to see a vid about Reason 10-11 performance on it.... :thumbs_up:

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2021

cocoazenith wrote:
10 Feb 2021
turn2on wrote:
09 Feb 2021

Actually, since running reason 10 on my mac mini m1, i got rid of a bug that happened on three different intel computers:
a mac mini 2018 6-core, an imac 2017 and an asus pn-50 ryzen 4300u mini pc. on all these computers - some plugins
like PluginGuru Unify or Roland Cloud plug-ings were creating audio dropouts and crackles when i was switching windows
between Reason 10 and Safari on Mac or Edge on PC, or adding new VST plugins to the rack.

Now on my Mac Mini M1 this doesn't happen anymore!

Indeed I have disabled the multi-core option and it is strange to run Reason on only one core. And maybe the answer was to
run the other computers on one core as well. I will test them. But it that's the case then I would rather run Reason 10 one one
core of the M1 than one core of the Intel i5 or Ryzen 4300U. Also upgrading to R11 or R+ is not an option.

Cheers!
Can you try to run a Reason benchmark test pretty please???
Why R11 not an option if I may ask??

Billy+

23 Feb 2021

npinero1 wrote:
22 Feb 2021

Should this "play Reason background" setting be set to ON or OFF for Intel Macs?
It's better to have it set to on.

turn2on
RE Developer

23 Feb 2021

Re8et wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Can you try to run a Reason benchmark test pretty please???
Why R11 not an option if I may ask??
Test already finished months ago. I publis it in some topics of forum:

More length = better stable playing of the project.
MBP 2018 i7 6-core 2.2Ghz 32RAM (same config of CPU to Mac mini 2018)
128: 32 sec
256: 57 sec
512: 1.06 sec
1024: 1.17 sec

Mac mini M1 8Gb
128: 5.28 sec
256: 17.75
512: 27.69 sec
1024: 32.5 sec

Results is bad, rosetta work slow. 256 buffer: intel-mac play Reason test project stable in 57 sec, M1 play in only 17sec and dropping sound.

helmutson

25 Feb 2021

I'm on R11 on my Macmini M1 and have one special issue when I'm running R11 as an AU.
I getting massive spikes on the Logic 10.6 cpu meter only with one Grain and only with some patches.
It's just that, no hiccups in audio or whatever. What could that be ?
I really hope for that native M1 support in the near future ...

cocoazenith

25 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote:
10 Feb 2021
yes, tried it both on and off. this happened to me on two intel macs (mac mini and imac). on catalina more often. on mojave not so often. this does not happen with all plugins. omnisphere and reason native instruments run good. roland cloud and pluginguru unify have these dropouts/crackles. but this behaviour for these plugins happens only in Reason.
Re8et wrote: Why R11 not an option if I may ask??
I have worked in Reason Lite 10 for the past year. It's enough for me. I use note lanes a lot and my music is not that "stuffy" so I get enough tracks that way. Recently bought Reason Intro 10 and believe it or not, it's overkill for me. I prefer being constrained in order to create. Also besides Kong and maybe...NN-XT seldomly....there's no Reason instrument I really use.

I have absolutely no need to upgrade to Reason 11 (any version) because I was happy & productive enough with the 10 version.
I also have Reason 11 Lite but it misses a lot of sample content and also Kong, NN-XT (and NN-19, Europa, Thor, MIDI FX etc. etc.)

Reason Studios have a talent of complicating things instead of focusing on improving the core DAW functions...we all know that.
The Reason+ announcement kind of bummed me out. I made less and less music in the past month since buying Intro 10.....LOL...

moneykube

25 Feb 2021

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 5.03.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 5.03.36 PM.png (107.74 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-561 ... cMjnGNYMuI
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

26 Feb 2021

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 5.11.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 5.11.48 AM.png (159.63 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... 88c4020204