What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

Exclusive DAW features
4%
Inclusion of 3rd party REs
7%
Inclusion of Refills
3%
Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)
17%
Tiered price (e.g. 10 for just the DAW, 15 DAW+REs, 20 DAW+REs+sound packs)
7%
Lower price altogether
14%
Nothing. I would never use Reason+
48%

Total votes: 306
VariableX

01 Feb 2021

RS want more profit, here are some ideas.
1. Lower the price
2. Encourage and incentivise third party developers.
3.Give free licences to all university labs, play the long game..in fact give free licences to anyone under 23 years of age,
4. 80% of your staff should be software developers, and bloody good ones,.
5. What money making schemes have worked? Mobile? The old subscription? Rewards? Suite? Well they obviously haven't, did the same people that came up with these ideas come up with subscription? How many people at RS actually make money for Reason?

Reason Studios need to concentrate on the DAW and RRP. Restructure the company with 80% core software developers and move everyone else out. Improve the product, just imagine how good it would be if you had done this 5 years ago 🙄

mjxl

01 Feb 2021

If they'd do it the Reason way, maybe i'd consider taking some bits.

The Reason way, IMO, would be:
20 bucks a month for all of it (it's price now, won't go into this too much)
OR
10 bucks for just the DAW, 10 bucks for the rest
OR
5 bucks for DAW, 5 for Rack VST, 5 for Rack Devices, 5 for SoundBanks

This way I/we could say, yeah I'll try out those devices for 5 bucks.

Also instead of it being a subscription, i would prefer it to be just Pay X -> Get X.

Faastwalker

04 Feb 2021

Been thinking about this some more. If subscription was the only way? Like if they got rid of perpetual licenses for Reason. Would I do it then? I really love Reason so I probably would, at least initially. But it would be with regret that it's come to this. It would be a very bitter pill. And if the promised updates, new devices etc. didn't materialize or didn't deliver then I'd probably check out entirely. All good things come to end. The Reason chapter would be over and I'd move on. Like a failed relationship. But tomorrow is a better day ;)

..... Christ, that was a bit melodramatic wasn't it!! Almost burst into sub standard, gushing poetry there for a minute!! :shock:

MannequinRaces

04 Feb 2021

I’d consider subbing if RS put out more demo songs using new REs and features as they are released. I think the demos are a fantastic way to learn and I’ve learned a lot by looking at some of the older ones.

ClassickHitz

04 Feb 2021

I voted Refills just to see the poll results. Honestly, Reason+ hold no value to me as a Suite license owner. Can't imagine paying $19 a month for Soundpacks I can get with NI Sounds a much bigger inventory for half the price. That's just one example.

strange_scenery

04 Feb 2021

When R+ was announced I was initially not interested since I already have suite and Friktion. However, now doing the math since they said there will be a new synth coming in March and a Reason update this year that means together that would cost at least $200 if not more, meaning that for the first year I would save at least $100 by subscribing. My worry is whether or not it would be worth it after the first year, as I am not too interested in the sound packs or players, but I would be willing to pay $240 a year for a Reason update and 1-2 devices, or 3-4 devices in years with no updates. So I plan is to wait until March when the synth comes out, trial R+ for a month and then see how I feel by the end of April before the deal expires.

enossified

05 Feb 2021

Hmm, been away a week and missed the rollout of Reason+. I see it's really popular ;)

So Intro and Suite are gone, eh? I don't see them in the shop.

I'll be honest...I'm 66 years old on a fixed income so subscriptions of tools are of zero interest to me. Content (TV, Spotify, online magazines) OK, but tools, no. I'm nowhere close to the mainstream demographic. Heck, I started out with Reason 2.5 and buying 11 for the RRP was my first and only update so far. Props aren't getting rich from me!

We all know the math: if I didn't already own one, could buy a full license today for $399. After 20 months, the subscription is already more expensive and I continue to pay and pay and pay until I either cancel or drop dead. The question is how many of the REs will I ever want to use (I use none today), how many of the new Refills will I ever want to use, etc. Right now all I use is RRP I running inside Logic as a sound library like Komplete or SampleTank, not a DAW. So I'm not subscribing.
Last edited by enossified on 05 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

electrofux

05 Feb 2021

I only voted lower price. 20 EUR is a bit too much for a sub to sustain more than a few months.
But of course third party REs need to be integrated somehow. Cant live without them.

Billy+

05 Feb 2021

electrofux wrote:
05 Feb 2021
I only voted lower price. 20 EUR is a bit too much for a sub to sustain more than a few months.
But of course third party REs need to be integrated somehow. Cant live without them.
Well it looks like 3rd party RE's are now available for plus service users, which is great news...

BigPictureSound

05 Feb 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Those who voting for Nothing out of spite actually do harm those who would prefer to gain at least something substantial out of this mess. Vote Partial Rent-to-Own guys.
In my observation those who of us who still use internet forums like this are not really the demographic that the subscription model targets, in my humble opinion. I like to think that those of us congregating on a niche board do so because we put far more value into the software we use either as a hobby or professionally than the majority of drop-in-drop out users. I value what I pay for and own, I don't value what I rent. Software has always had this gray area with license checks, but it's always felt close enough to ownership for me.

I don't support subscription models for software products and most likely never will. I understand why companies wish to secure consistent revenue, but the ability to charge monthly for a product by pretending updating it is actually a service, is a new exploit unique to the software world and not at all a requirement to stay in business. No other industry can boast such an exploit to end users.

Why Reason did not just add a subscription option alongside their pay-to-own program, and push a fresh marketing campaign is beyond me. Hell, the home page could have Buy, Subscribe, and Installment options. Cater to all 3 buyer types and win big. Pushing just subscription model to the homepage and hiding the rest makes absolutely no business sense for the creative audio market.

I could write an essay on this topic but I will say that the best move is to fix the homepage to give all three options an equal voice.

TheChad

09 Feb 2021

The biggest negative to Reason+ right now, for me, is no offline authorization. If they added the ability for it to only require, for example, a once or twice a month "phone home" to authorize offline usage I'd be in for that. In the meantime I'll carry on with my upgrading my perpetual licenses.

Yonatan

10 Feb 2021

I think Reason+ needs more services than the soundpacks if they really want existing users pay €20 monthly.

Faastwalker

10 Feb 2021

Yonatan wrote:
10 Feb 2021
I think Reason+ needs more services than the soundpacks if they really want existing users pay €20 monthly.
For sure. Certainly for existing users to be interested. I can't imagine many current users would think $20 a month would be worth it for regular sound packs. Maybe if they don't know about the Internet?!! :-/ Anyone have trouble getting hold of sounds in this day and age?!

plaamook

10 Feb 2021

TheChad wrote:
09 Feb 2021
The biggest negative to Reason+ right now, for me, is no offline authorization.
Absolutely.
I'm not interested in any of the content. In a pinch I'd consider €10 a mo for Basic Reason. But if there's no off line use option?... No chance.
And if they shifted the whole DAW that way I'd split.
Bad enough as it is (no more Key, limited comp authorisation screw-ups etc)
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

tiker01

10 Feb 2021

Could you add RE+packs to the tiered option?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

Yonatan wrote:
10 Feb 2021
What kind of services would you be interested in?

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

TheChad wrote:
09 Feb 2021
The biggest negative to Reason+ right now, for me, is no offline authorization. If they added the ability for it to only require, for example, a once or twice a month "phone home" to authorize offline usage I'd be in for that. In the meantime I'll carry on with my upgrading my perpetual licenses.
Yes, we have stated publicly we will add something like this to Reason+. Will keep you in the loop as to timelines.

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

electrofux wrote:
05 Feb 2021
You could continue to buy and use third party REs, even if you have Reason+ though. Just to clarify, there is nothing blocking that. You can be a Reason+ subscriber and still buy and use any third party product in Reason.

tt_lab

10 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

A good deal would be for instance, not just to keep the soundpacks but after a year of subscription you get the REs released that year forever. That I would gladly pay 20$ a month, taken you will be realeasing 2+ new REs every year.
As a Suite owner, that would be pretty sweet, so I can complete my RS's REs collection being subscribed.

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

tt_lab wrote:
10 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

A good deal would be for instance, not just to keep the soundpacks but after a year of subscription you get the REs released that year forever. That I would gladly pay 20$ a month, taken you will be realeasing 2+ new REs every year.
As a Suite owner, that would be pretty sweet, so I can complete my RS's REs collection being subscribed.
Thanks for your input!

Yonatan

10 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021
tt_lab wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Thanks for your input!
Maybe if getting reward points for subscriptions that can be used in the Reward Section, to buy RS own RE:s or the Reason DAW and upgrades, so that you can choose what way you use your reward points for. In this way, you would avoid the scenario with subscribers that feel locked in, and after 3 years feel empty if wanting to own the license and/or the RE:s, thus complaining out of frustration.
Getting reward points in proportion to subscription months, could be used for the users to regularly buy out the Reason license now and then for best flexible freedom. Win-win, as that would be another way to rent-to-own, but with reward points you can yourself choose to either buy the Reason license and/or use the points to get missing RS RE:s, so that can be used to "complete the bundle". In a system like that, even a Suite user, could choose to subscribe and still see value in it, as another way to continue the bundling of RE:s that stays even if takin a break at some point.
This freedom would make subscription much more compelling, as I honestly think that most old time users would love to take part of the soundpacks too. I think Reason+ needs loyal long time users to really take off and fly.

What other services? If the above gets implemented in a good way, that would be enough, but at the moment I can think of 2 services that would be cool in the longer run. 1) Some kind of collaboration hub or community place. 2) Some kind of basic distribution service (to Spotify etc).
But only if that would naturally be something that RS could manage to implement at some later point and themself find meaningful.

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2021

Yonatan wrote:
10 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
10 Feb 2021

Thanks for your input!
Maybe if getting reward points for subscriptions that can be used in the Reward Section, to buy RS own RE:s or the Reason DAW and upgrades, so that you can choose what way you use your reward points for. In this way, you would avoid the scenario with subscribers that feel locked in, and after 3 years feel empty if wanting to own the license and/or the RE:s, thus complaining out of frustration.
Getting reward points in proportion to subscription months, could be used for the users to regularly buy out the Reason license now and then for best flexible freedom. Win-win, as that would be another way to rent-to-own, but with reward points you can yourself choose to either buy the Reason license and/or use the points to get missing RS RE:s, so that can be used to "complete the bundle". In a system like that, even a Suite user, could choose to subscribe and still see value in it, as another way to continue the bundling of RE:s that stays even if takin a break at some point.
This freedom would make subscription much more compelling, as I honestly think that most old time users would love to take part of the soundpacks too. I think Reason+ needs loyal long time users to really take off and fly.

What other services? If the above gets implemented in a good way, that would be enough, but at the moment I can think of 2 services that would be cool in the longer run. 1) Some kind of collaboration hub or community place. 2) Some kind of basic distribution service (to Spotify etc).
But only if that would naturally be something that RS could manage to implement at some later point and themself find meaningful.
Thanks again for input. This is really helpful.

zoidkirb

10 Feb 2021

The Rewards Points/Store are considered one of the biggest failures around here. Look it up, there's plenty of threads on it.

Useable rewards like on Plugin Boutique would be very popular though.

zero01101

10 Feb 2021

honestly, the only thing that would even make me remotely interested in subscribing would be a perpetual fallback license for the "most recent version that has been subscribed to for one year", precisely like jetbrains implemented after the strikingly similar poor reception and backlash against their subscription product; the main difference being that they didn't even offer a perpetual license option at the onset which probably forced their hand a bit more intensely. the REs can absolutely stay as subscription rentals, but the severe line between "you may or may not make music in your preferred environment depending on whether you've paid recently" is untenable at best.

i realize that reason's full license costs more than one year of subscriptions, so that "one year" condition is obviously malleable for new subscribers that don't already have a license, but a hard cutoff denying a user any ability to continue to make music because they're a bit skint this month is, to be generous, viewed as adversarial. this isn't a throwaway consumable like disney+ or HBOnow; for a lot of people, it's their livelihood and their tool which allows them to generate income. if they haven't picked up a contract in 3 months because times are hard, cutting off access to their toolbox probably isn't going to improve their situation. i truly believe absolutely no DAW enjoys the kind of market dominance that adobe does in order to be able to claim "it's our SaaS way or the highway" so confidently. a rental-only subscription is precisely this if the user doesn't already have another DAW, which leads me to believe the target market for reason+ would be specifically rack plugin users who don't already own reason, and that's going to be one tough row to hoe for what would primarily be seen as "proprietary synth rack plugin".

admittedly, i've owned a license since v2.5 so i'm not exactly left out in the water in the hypothetical case that i were to subscribe and unsubscribe within 11.999999 months, but at the moment, the value proposition is nil to me as a license holder. give me confidence that REASON NUMBER GO UP AND STAY UP if i decide to stop paying at some point and that's a different story.

Proboscis

10 Feb 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Those who voting for Nothing out of spite actually do harm those who would prefer to gain at least something substantial out of this mess. Vote Partial Rent-to-Own guys.
Bro... really ? I would vote 'nothing', because that's my position. I equally stand by that on 'rent-to-own' as well.

My answer is:

No.

Nothing.

Never.

Any SaaS or Layaway model that requires a monthly direct debit to my bank account does not work for me.

To suggest that folks like me refrain from voting is trying to skew the poll results.

• Information