WTFM Synth Double Competition (Turn2On)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
challism

09 Feb 2021

Turn2On and ReasonTalk are happy to announce a new song challenge to commemorate the release of Turn2On’s newest synth, WTFM (found here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/ ).

This is a special, two part contest; Contest 1 is a song challenge and Contest 2 is a soundscape challenge.

General Contest Rules (both contests):

• Entries must be emailed to reasontalkcontest@gmail.com
Please include: 1) a link to your track, and 2) your ReasonTalk username
• Entries must be submitted by 23:59:59 PST on February 19 (before 12:00AM / 00:00 PST February 20).
• Only one entry per participant (one entry for Contest 1, one entry for Contest 2).
• No remixes or cover songs. Your work must be 100% original.
• Do not use copyrighted samples or material that hasn’t been cleared.
• Be aware that we will ask you to provide the Reason project file to check for compliance to these rules. If you bounce to track, leave the original lane/device intact!
• Turn2On reserves the right to showcase all submissions on the WTFM product page.

Contest 1) - WTFM Song Challenge (submission due before 23:59:59 PST on February 19, 2021)

Prizes:
• 1st place: WTFM + any 5 Turn2On REs
• 2nd place: WTFM + any 2 Turn2On REs
• 3rd place: WTFM
• BONUS LICENSE DRAWING: All contributing participants of contest 1 & 2 will be eligible for a chance to win a WTFM license. One WTFM license will be given away in the bonus drawing.

Contest 1 Rules:
• All general contest rules (at the top of this post) apply

Instruments
• All sounds must originate from WTFM, other than “External Sounds Allowed” (see below)
• External Sounds Allowed
= Drum/percussion samples (Kong, Redrum, NN-19/XT, Dr. Octorex)
= Recorded vocal tracks

Effects
• Internal WFTM FXs
• Any Turn2on FXs REs
• Any of Reason's stock "M-class" effects (yellow devices)

Use of All Utilities & Players Allowed

Contest 2) = WTFM Soundscape Challenge (submission due before 23:59:59 PST on February 19, 2021)

We are looking for really interesting soundscapes that demonstrate the wide range of sounds WTFM is capable of making, similar to what one would hear in a product introduction video (or a movie score). The soundscape is not required to be musical or follow any conventional music theory or themes, but it should be interesting.

Prizes:
• 1st place: WTFM + any 3 Turn2On REs
• 2nd place WTFM + 1 Turn2On RE
• BONUS LICENSE DRAWING: All contributing participants of contest 1 & 2 will be eligible for a chance to win a WTFM license. One WTFM license will be given away in the bonus drawing.

Contest 2 Rules:

• Only sounds from WTFM may be used (no other instruments or effects are allowed).
• Soundscape must not be longer than 1:30 (90 seconds).
• Utilities and Players are allowed.

Judges: Turn2On & the ReasonTalk team

Good luck to all participants and have fun!

Thank you,
Turn2On & the ReasonTalk team

Countdown timer: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/g ... nt=cursive
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Karim
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2021

I would like to point out that the link referred to the rack extension is broken. :?
challism wrote:
09 Feb 2021
Turn2On and ReasonTalk are happy to announce a new song challenge to commemorate the release of Turn2On’s newest synth, WTFM (found here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/ ).

This is a special, two part contest; Contest 1 is a song challenge and Contest 2 is a soundscape challenge.

General Contest Rules (both contests):

• Entries must be emailed to reasontalkcontest@gmail.com
Please include: 1) a link to your track, and 2) your ReasonTalk username
• Entries must be submitted by 23:59:59 PST on February 19 (before 12:00AM / 00:00 PST February 20).
• Only one entry per participant (one entry for Contest 1, one entry for Contest 2).
• No remixes or cover songs. Your work must be 100% original.
• Do not use copyrighted samples or material that hasn’t been cleared.
• Be aware that we will ask you to provide the Reason project file to check for compliance to these rules. If you bounce to track, leave the original lane/device intact!
• Turn2On reserves the right to showcase all submissions on the WTFM product page.

Contest 1) - WTFM Song Challenge (submission due before 23:59:59 PST on February 19, 2021)

Prizes:
• 1st place: WTFM + any 5 Turn2On REs
• 2nd place: WTFM + any 2 Turn2On REs

Contest 1 Rules:

Instruments
• All sounds must originate from WTFM, other than “External Sounds Allowed” (see below)
• External Sounds Allowed
= Drum/percussion samples (Kong, Redrum, NN-19/XT, Dr. Octorex)
= Recorded vocal tracks

Effects
• Internal WFTM FXs
• Any Turn2on FXs REs

Use of All Utilities & Players Allowed

Contest 2) = WTFM Soundscape Challenge (submission due before 23:59:59 PST on February 19, 2021)

We are looking for really interesting soundscapes that demonstrate the wide range of sounds WTFM is capable of making, similar to what one would hear in a product introduction video (or a movie score). The soundscape is not required to be musical or follow any conventional music theory or themes, but it should be interesting.

Prizes:
• 1st place: WTFM + any 3 Turn2On REs
• 2nd place WTFM + 1 Turn2On RE

Contest 2 Rules:

• Only sounds from WTFM may be used (no other instruments or effects are allowed).
• Soundscape must not be longer than 1:30 (90 seconds).
• Utilities and Players are allowed.

Judges: Turn2On & the ReasonTalk team

Good luck to all participants and have fun!

Thank you,
Turn2On & the ReasonTalk team
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

challism

09 Feb 2021

Yup, the entire shop seems to be down right now.

Karim
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2021

Yes. I can see that too :puf_unhappy:
challism wrote:
09 Feb 2021
Yup, the entire shop seems to be down right now.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2021

Nice to see a synth challenge, but why put the deadline so early? That's not even a full week. What's the hurry?
Please consider changing the submission dates. It would be nice to enter but this would just feel rushed and stressful.
I think you will get more quality from the song entries and also more people participating if you extend the time for submitting the tracks. Not everyone is gonna see this announcement today. And by the time they do it will already be too late to start writing.

Just to be sure. Are we not allowed to use any Reason stock effects?
Or any rack extension EQs, comps, limiters etc?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2021

Great competition. Great prizes. Good job RT and T2on.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

09 Feb 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Feb 2021
Nice to see a synth challenge, but why put the deadline so early? That's not even a full week. What's the hurry?
Please consider changing the submission dates. It would be nice to enter but this would just feel rushed and stressful.
I think you will get more quality from the song entries and also more people participating if you extend the time for submitting the tracks. Not everyone is gonna see this announcement today. And by the time they do it will already be too late to start writing.

I agree, it is a very short window for this challenge... but that will just make it more challenging, right? There are a few reasons for the brevity of this challenge, but I can't really get into those. It will be interesting to see what kind of results we get, nonetheless.

Yes, correct, no other FX except WTFM onboard effects and other Turn2On effects (no stock effects or REs allowed). No other sound-producing devices (RE or otherweise), other than what is mentioned in the rules (drums/vocals). Any Utility and Player devices/REs may be used.

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Feb 2021

You can use WTFM as FX-device (Vocoder input).
Just use Vocoder input to processing external WTFMs / Vocal / Drums if needed.

Good trick: With vocoder inputs you can build WTFMs chains. At the rear side FX Matrix, possible to use as example destination: MIX (to morphing between current WTFM tone and external Vocoder input) by LFO or other mod sources

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
09 Feb 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Feb 2021

I agree, it is a very short window for this challenge... but that will just make it more challenging, right? There are a few reasons for the brevity of this challenge, but I can't really get into those. It will be interesting to see what kind of results we get, nonetheless.

Yes, correct, no other FX except WTFM onboard effects and other Turn2On effects (no stock effects or REs allowed). No other sound-producing devices (RE or otherweise), other than what is mentioned in the rules (drums/vocals). Any Utility and Player devices/REs may be used.
Ok. Thanks. I think I'll skip this one then.
I can of course only speak for myself, but I much prefer when I can use my go-to EQs, comps, limiters etc. I get that limitations can spark creativity and be exciting and challenging and all of that good stuff. But for me restrictions regarding basic effect tools just makes song writing a hassle. And unfortuantely less inspiring. I think rules like this makes sense from a developers perspective (use only our stuff), but not necessarily for me as a music creator. I'm interested in exploring this new synth, not in not being able to use a certain limiter, or any limiter at all in this case?
Also like I said, it's a bit stressful with the early deadline. I would have to put a lot of other things on hold. So for me, not worth it this time.

Good luck to everyone else. Looking forward to hear what people will come up with.

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Feb 2021

Dont forgot about Mixer Console. You can use all that include : EQs, Graphical EQ, Compressor... main functionality there.

Anyway, I need to say, WTFM - is FM synthesizer, and competion can be without any effects at all to show sytnthesis power. But - device already include main effects:
- EQ Band
- Resonator
- Chorus
- Delay
- Reverb
.. and also own LIMITER / MAXIMIZER
Many classical effects - duplicate internal effects. EQ/Comp - already in Console.

I can understand that somebody needs in Reason FX devices (like a Pulviriser), but this is creative effect and using it is wrong..
Anyway, just try any other our effects from the shop, you can use them too.

ps: time limits of the competion is clear. Another dev coming with his competition soon, that going much longer, and we cant overlap with it. We can move our competition after him, but... All users at the end of February / start of March, that already try WTFM, lost their trials, and cant going to the competion!
Now you understand why we limited in the time.. Its not our selection.

reusenoise

10 Feb 2021

Just to be clear,can I use Mclas Limiter/Maximizer on master channel,on my point of view it's part of the mixer master channel,I think it don't change the final result,just keep things under control

challism

10 Feb 2021

A couple of announcements/updates to the contest.

1) The deadline for this challenge has been moved back. Entries must be submitted by 23:59:59 PST on February 19 (before 12:00AM / 00:00 PST February 20).

Sorry for the confusion. There was some miscommunication between myself and Turn2On, and I will take the blame for that.

It's great that you all have some extra days to work on your contributions.

2) Reason's stock "M-class" effects (yellow ones) are now accepted for use in this competition.

Good luck to all contestants!
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Feb 2021

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2021

Can we use the SSL?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

10 Feb 2021

diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Can we use the SSL?
sounds like Turn2On says we can use all of the mixer channel functionality, but that does beg the question...is it disqualifying to use the RE versions of the SSL mixer components?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

reusenoise

10 Feb 2021

diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Can we use the SSL?
IF you mean SSL mixer console fx like compressor and eq are allowed

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Feb 2021
diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Can we use the SSL?
sounds like Turn2On says we can use all of the mixer channel functionality, but that does beg the question...is it disqualifying to use the RE versions of the SSL mixer components?
where did you read that?
Edit: this? "Many classical effects - duplicate internal effects. EQ/Comp - already in Console."
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

10 Feb 2021

diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2021
guitfnky wrote:
10 Feb 2021

where did you read that?
Edit: this? "Many classical effects - duplicate internal effects. EQ/Comp - already in Console."
3 posts above your “can we use the SSL” question.
Dont forgot about Mixer Console. You can use all that include : EQs, Graphical EQ, Compressor... main functionality there.

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Feb 2021
diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2021

where did you read that?
D'oh! Thank you!

guitfnky

10 Feb 2021

diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2021
guitfnky wrote:
10 Feb 2021

D'oh! Thank you!
👍🏼

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
10 Feb 2021
A couple of announcements/updates to the contest.

1) The deadline for this challenge has been moved back. Entries must be submitted by 23:59:59 PST on February 19 (before 12:00AM / 00:00 PST February 20).

Sorry for the confusion. There was some miscommunication between myself and Turn2On, and I will take the blame for that.

It's great that you all have some extra days to work on your contributions.

2) Reason's stock "M-class" effects (yellow ones) are now accepted for use in this competition.

Good luck to all contestants!
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Feb 2021

That's great to hear. I might give it a shot then. :thumbs_up:

turn2on
RE Developer

10 Feb 2021

Yes, you can use
- MClass series effects,
- SSL console
- Reason Rack effects based on the Console parts

This is a list:
Снимок экрана 2021-02-10 в 21.09.00.png
Снимок экрана 2021-02-10 в 21.09.00.png (162.58 KiB) Viewed 11216 times

Proboscis

10 Feb 2021

It makes for a good challenge to showcase the synth, with the 'other instruments' limitations in place.

But may I ask, is there a minimum/maximum track duration time for 'Challenge 1' ?

Proboscis

10 Feb 2021

also, no FX on drums, apart from other Turn2On devices ? Not sure how many other devices I want to trial when I'm not in the position to buy (ie I will blow my trial for any time in future I might want to buy)

turn2on
RE Developer

11 Feb 2021

No limits for time duration of the Song.
Intro duration limited to 90 sec.

You can use on drums Kong effects. Also enable WTFM (by Vocoder input) as FX-device. Or just start to trial some needed effects, that really interesting for you. No needs to get all fx REs to test and try in song. Few of them for real trial - and there 2 shots:
- use for challenge
- trial of RE in real work. 1-2 fxs is really to test in 30 days. Using any our RE is only option. Synthesizer WT segments with synthesis and traditional FM Ratio/Level settings is enough to build what you need. There not real needs for additional creative effects... but you can use any our FX/Utility RE (not instrument).

• Information