REview - Auto X Comp (Ekssperimental Sounds)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
guitfnky

08 Feb 2021

An unbiased, in-depth look at the features and sounds available in the new Auto X Comp Rack Extension by Ekssperimental Sounds. The final rating is based on 5 broad categories--sound quality, ease of use, inspiration/fun factor, GUI, and routing options.

Also, check the description for a delicious punch recipe!

Sorry that my ugly mug is bigger than the actual RE, in this case. I'll make sure to do future reviews in 1080P, so you can actually see the damn device being reviewed.

Timestamps are in the video description, as always, in case you want to cut to the chase. :)

I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2021

Have you tried putting your guitar through it with an LFO into the X-over CV? :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

08 Feb 2021

MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Have you tried putting your guitar through it with an LFO into the X-over CV? :)
I’m a guitarist, so, of course I did that. 😂

from what I could tell, though, it’s a stepped value even when setting it with a CV input. 🥺 but my ears were fatigued at that point, so I’d love to be proven wrong.

ekss
RE Developer

08 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
08 Feb 2021
MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2021

from what I could tell, though, it’s a stepped value even when setting it with a CV input. 🥺 but my ears were fatigued at that point, so I’d love to be proven wrong.
Thanks for reviewing! Will check it out in a minute :D

Ear fatigue could be it because Cv modulation is connecting directly to the filter frequency so if you use a smooth LFO it will be a smooth modulation!

guitfnky

08 Feb 2021

ekss wrote:
08 Feb 2021
guitfnky wrote:
08 Feb 2021

Ear fatigue could be it because Cv modulation is connecting directly to the filter frequency so if you use a smooth LFO it will be a smooth modulation!
ah, thanks for the clarification—that’s awesome! I’d still love to have the ability to control it smoothly with automation (I’m assuming the automation doesn’t get the same benefit as CV), but regardless, it’s an excellent device. congrats on another great release!

ekss
RE Developer

08 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
08 Feb 2021
ekss wrote:
08 Feb 2021

ah, thanks for the clarification—that’s awesome! I’d still love to have the ability to control it smoothly with automation (I’m assuming the automation doesn’t get the same benefit as CV), but regardless, it’s an excellent device. congrats on another great release!
Thanks a lot for a really really nice review, just finished watching!
Thought I comment on the few things that you were uncertain of:
Regarding Phase Invert - it inverts the phase of the Injected dry signal, so with it on you can enhance the difference of dry/compressed signal. It's most often pretty subtle, there will be a sweet spot when the Inject level is at a specific dB that cancel out more then if it's just slighlyt higher or lower. Also, not very clear so should put something about this in the manual.

The T.C triangles indicate the envelope; Ramp down: Fast attack, slow release, Ramp up: Slow attack, fast release. The lack of specific ms/Hz/sweepable x-oxer is to simplify, move focus from using the eyes and reading numbers to instead listen and making it easier to choose from hearing.

Regarding High Pass Hz - it's tricky because it's relative to the X-over and happens with different amounts on the bottom and low end. Kind of quirky way of implementing it but I found it sounded better that way. But yes, makes it hard to translate to one specific high pass Hz. I should clarify this in the manual though!

I will definitely consider adding a switch to select stepped/free range X-over frequency!

If you like to see some tricks with it check out this improvised stream where I fiddle around with it alongside some other RE projects: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/903262311?t=00h25m38s ( :exclamation: warning for lo-fi repetitive electronic sounds :exclamation: )

guitfnky

08 Feb 2021

ekss wrote:
08 Feb 2021
guitfnky wrote:
08 Feb 2021

Thanks a lot for a really really nice review, just finished watching!
Thought I comment on the few things that you were uncertain of:
Regarding Phase Invert - it inverts the phase of the Injected dry signal, so with it on you can enhance the difference of dry/compressed signal. It's most often pretty subtle, there will be a sweet spot when the Inject level is at a specific dB that cancel out more then if it's just slighlyt higher or lower. Also, not very clear so should put something about this in the manual.

The T.C triangles indicate the envelope; Ramp down: Fast attack, slow release, Ramp up: Slow attack, fast release. The lack of specific ms/Hz/sweepable x-oxer is to simplify, move focus from using the eyes and reading numbers to instead listen and making it easier to choose from hearing.

Regarding High Pass Hz - it's tricky because it's relative to the X-over and happens with different amounts on the bottom and low end. Kind of quirky way of implementing it but I found it sounded better that way. But yes, makes it hard to translate to one specific high pass Hz. I should clarify this in the manual though!

I will definitely consider adding a switch to select stepped/free range X-over frequency!

If you like to see some tricks with it check out this improvised stream where I fiddle around with it alongside some other RE projects: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/903262311?t=00h25m38s ( :exclamation: warning for lo-fi repetitive electronic sounds :exclamation: )
the clarifications are very much appreciated! you're right about the 'use your ears thing'--it's something I preach often, but sometimes I forget to practice it myself. that's a really interesting approach regarding the high pass hz cutoff--I definitely get why it's not possible to just slap a Hz label on it and call it a day, now. I'll check that stream out in the next couple of days when I get a chance. :)

• Information