What are your must have Rack Extensions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
OliverBlack77

05 Feb 2021

I wanted to start a similar thread, but as the threads I have started proved unpopular, so I waited for this thread and I really had no time... For me I'm looking for adding the following Rack Extensions (order is not important as whatever comes discounted first, I will get it) : The Legend (already done as I had the VSTi before); PX7 3; FM4; Korg synths (Polysix and Mono/Poly. I have them as VSTi but they are a slightly with clearer fonts in RE); Parsec 2 ; Antidote. I think those are the best exclusives for me :)

Gardinski

05 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Mar 2020

What's the point of starting a thread asking a question and never bothering to check the answers? There are a few of those here.
Maybe he got swept away by the Reason+ craziness and decided we're a bunch of dangerous savages. On the other hand, he may have actually signed up to R+ and is overwhelmed by all the REs and Players in there. There's a heck of a lot of content for a newcomer to process. In some ways, I'm glad I came onboard way back in the days of Reason 2.5, when there were only a handful of built-in devices to get to grips with. Even that was daunting to me at the time as a humble guitarist delving into synths and sequencing for the first time. I can imagine being overwhelmed as a new user today.

That said, if the OP does come back, there's some great suggestions here... to which I'd also add:

- JiggeryPokery's beautiful multitap delay, 'Steerpike'. (Or is it 'Titus'..? I always get them mixed up. One is a single line version of the other, which has six delay lanes.)

- RB's 'Sequences', easily my favourite step sequencing player, and my 'go to' for getting ideas down super fast. It's very, very versatile.

- 'Clarent' by KUASSA, for rich, fruity amp goodness (especially if you're using guitars, obviously, but equally it delivers for any sound source.)

- 'Fritz' by Electric Panda for incredible granular textures. (Again - GREAT for guitars or psychedelic vocal effects.)

- JP's 'Animus' - again for the odd, granular beauty it delivers (although it can be heavy on CPU, so it would depend on the specs of his machine.)

- 'Chordline' by TonicMint, which someone (possibly Mr Figg) described brilliantly as an 'instant McCoy Tyner machine'. It will INSTANTLY turn the most hamfisted pianist into a sophisticated jazz supremo... but definitely also check out ENLIGHTENSPEED's ChordBank. (It's a bit different in focus from TonicMint's offering, and one will probably suit a certain kind of user more than the other. Both devices are excellent, and the respective developers seem like genuinely helpful, communicative guys.)

- 'GHammy' by Turn2On is fantastic for pitchshifting/harmony. (Again, perhaps I'm thinking from a guitarist's perspective here - but in actuality I've probably used it more on synths and vocals than I have on guitars. It REALLY comes into its own if you have access to an Expression pedal, but can equally be used with the mod wheel or a fader.)

I realise that all the stuff I've mentioned falls under the category of 'Effects'/'Players'.

As for instruments, there's really just 'Friktion' right now which is in the forefront of my mind. There are of course many, many great synths out there, but if I had to recommend just one which will give a newcomer a great run for their money AS WELL as delivering something which can't currently be reproduced by any other Reason device, Friktion is the one which stands out. (Resonans is great one too, of course... as are other 'weird'/'uncommon' devices like Revival.)

Gardinski

05 Feb 2021

OHHHH - one more thing (as Columbo would have said).

How could I have forgotten SELIG's incredible 'DE-ESSER'...? Absolutely VITAL plugin if you're recording vocals of any sort. It should be a mandatory component in Reason (along with the RE2A levelling amp. The fact that the RE2A is no longer available for new purchasers is an absolute travesty, imho.)

syncanonymous

05 Feb 2021

My absolute must have REs

I got the Mix and mastering Rig Bundle a few years ago
It was worth it for these 3
EFFECTS
Rob Papen
-RPVerb (it is in every job I do...every one)
I do not care for the Softube TSAR- I have tried; it's just too basic for me.

FXpansion
-DCAM ChanComp it's the first comp I go for
-DCAM BusComp

Softube
-FET Comp- must have

Standalone FX
u-he
Uhbilk F (it's a great flanger)

Lectric Panda
I am currently hooked on Kompulsion; cannot get enough. I love Korde too; not a must have tho.
Shape also gets a massive amount of usage in my personal stuff. Shape is absolutely a must have.
I wish I had the whole stable, tbh

PLAYERS
I discounted these for too long; that was a big mistake. I just bought the Player bundle a couple weeks ago. Drum Sequencer is really good; yet I've turned all this kind of sequencing over to Kompulsion within 2 weeks of of getting the bundle. Mainly because Kompulsion has 16 "instruments" and Drum Sequencer has 8. Quad Note Generator is pretty cool.

I have "must have" VSTs which I would have to make sure I had before any of these REs:
FabFilter
-Pro-Q2/3 (this is the best EQ I VST I know of)
-Pro DS (When you need a DeEsser, get a good one; a necessity for my audio work)

Acon Digital
Restoration Suite (can't work without it)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

ab459

05 Feb 2021

PX7 lol

BRIGGS

05 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
05 Feb 2021
PX7 lol
:lol:
r11s

moggadeet

05 Feb 2021

• DCAM effects for their usability: fast compressor, bus compressor and transient shaper
  • Selig Gain: indispensable for mixing
  • Kilohearts Faturator: for fast Haas effect
  • Synapse The Legend: if I should have only one synth, it'd be this one

ulaw

11 Feb 2021

PredatorRE and RE-2A are my "go to" list.

WarStar

13 Feb 2021

1) Selig Gain: for obvious reasons
2) KHz Hearts Limiter: it's free!, very straight forward but it works great on single tracks
3) FRG-4RE: great for toms, fast attack fast release
4) GQ-7: another synapse jem, 5 bands, very straight forward, steep hp/lp filters..
5) Quadelectra Stereo Splitter: just like the Selig Gain, you could put this on every channel and I pretty much do. Very quick and easy tool to control the Mid/Side with breakouts and/or simply using the controls on the RE, ie volume controls of Mid Side separately and phase flips as linked R/L or separately for each side.. very useful and very basic

Runners up:

6) RX950 AD/DA Classic: perfect little saturation RE, good focus on mid range, really brings out vocals in a cool way, and great filters, works great on drums.. actually you could put it on every channel cuz it does it's job really well
7) Selig Leveler: great for bringing up some sustain in whatever you choose to put this on, sounds great on vocals but can be applied to anything in the mix.. i call it my secret sauce when applied to 808s, brings out some serious sustain, and it has this warming effect on the sub lows too..
8) Legend: low end is so juicy, definitely nailed the Analog vibe, (got the synapse bundle last year for $50!)
9) G8-Gate: been using this a lot lately, especially on older samples, more bounce and pocket, and if theres a sample with dialogue you can filter out most everything except the vocal parts, very straight forward, meters are awesome, and you can flip between gate and a quasi-compressor effect when button is flipped
10) RP Punch BDRE: awesome for tuned kicks and 808s
Last edited by WarStar on 13 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

WarStar

13 Feb 2021

moggadeet wrote:
05 Feb 2021
  • DCAM effects for their usability: fast compressor, bus compressor and transient shaper
How are those DCam compressors..? Do you have any of the McDsp compressors as well? Just curious if they're similar.. I'll have to trial a couple I guess

motuscott

13 Feb 2021

Whether you're banging on a tree trunk with the shin bones of your enemies or creating complex film soundtracks, Wbl3001 Dispositif Pour Contact Premier is for you.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

moggadeet

13 Feb 2021

WarStar wrote:
13 Feb 2021
moggadeet wrote:
05 Feb 2021
How are those DCam compressors..? Do you have any of the McDsp compressors as well? Just curious if they're similar.. I'll have to trial a couple I guess
I bought the mix packs some time ago, received the the McDsp EQs and compressors in it, but they simply lie in their descriptions. I opened a thread about it some time ago, I cannot stand false advertisement ...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7509003&hilit=mcdsp+moggadeet

The three DCAM dynamic processors have great usability for me. I use the bus compressor and the envelope shaper regularly. The other compressor is really fast, I use the envelope shaper instead.

OliverBlack77

14 Feb 2021

I wanted to start a similar thread, but as the threads I have started proved unpopular, so I waited for this thread and I really had no time... For me I'm looking for adding the following Rack Extensions (order is not important as whatever comes discounted first, I will get it once I finish my school project with the help of https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/tutoreye/ ) : The Legend (already done as I had the VSTi before); PX7 3; FM4; Korg synths (Polysix and Mono/Poly. I have them as VSTi but they are a slightly with clearer fonts in RE); Parsec 2 ; Antidote. I think those are the best exclusives for me :)
Last edited by OliverBlack77 on 15 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

VariableX

14 Feb 2021

Both in my mastering chain ( flower meter at top and bottom of chain )
Flower Audio Loudness Meter
Kratos 2 Maximizer

Other devices I like are
Synths: Viking 2, Predator, Legend, Antidote
Sample/Drum: both Umpf's
Players: Sequences and Reasons Drum Sequencer

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2021

Selig Gain probably gets the most consistent use from me.
GSQ Spectrum EQ as well
Complex-1
Forgotten Limiter
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

jjrh

16 Feb 2021

Hazel wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Audiorealism - ABL3 (Acid!)
The issue I have with this is while you can program longer than 16 step patterns I can't for the life of me figure out how to view more than the first 16 steps in the pattern view Image

Drives me nuts and I end up either automating the pattern select or connecting matrix.

-----------------------------------------

as far as RE's that I use ALOT:

Utilities:
  • CVA-7 CV Analyzer - I use this constantly to convert bipolar to unipolar
  • Janitor CV Shaper - useful for limiting the peak of a CV signal or smoothing
  • CV8X4 CV Generator - use as a breakout for additional knobs in a combinator and to have a '0' and '127' signal. I also use this in combination with 'Select CV Switch' to provide a easier way of selecting a pattern or option (so if cv 14 is arp pattern 3, or say LFO wave 2, I can set the knob to that value and select it with the switch)
  • A/B Audio & CV Switch - handy util for turning on and off sound without using a line mixer and combinator CV, and alternating between two CV signals (like switching between a normal and inversed signal or between two LFO's)
  • Truth - Does AND/OR/NAND/etc there are some other RE's that do the same thing but CV logic tools are a must have.
  • Morfin XF Crossfader - handy for crossfades without using a line mixer.
  • Polymodular Audio Splitter and CV splitter - to replace spider units.
  • Rack divider - can't remember the name but it was free and is super handy for visually dividing the rack. Can also use it in the sequencer.
Instruments:
  • PredatorRE Instrument - annoying to program but a lot of awesome sounds.
  • Synapse Antidote - Just really good synth for edm.
  • Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer - really solid synth. Not worth the $200 in my opinion but it's good.
  • Re-Tron - if you want that Mellotron sound it's pretty awesome and sounds really good.
  • kiloHearts kHs ONE - nice synth for electro type stuff. I guess it's $26 CAD right now which to me is a real steal.
Effects:
  • Devastor 2 - Nice sounding distortion with a lot of good presets. I also use it with all the distortion off for just the filter (LP,BP,HP) which I think sounds really good.
  • Buffre Beat Repeater - I love this thing, it's got it's annoying bits and is hard to get the automation right but I love it and does the beat repeat really well.
  • Glitch Effect - Fills a similar need as Buffre, but I use it more often for Tape Stop and gate. For $12 it's hard to complain.
  • Yoko Band-Splitter - handy tool for filter effects and minor tweaks.
  • Efektor Silencer Noise Gate - handy and is free. I use it a lot when i'm isolating a audio signal to eventually convert it to a gate CV signal. ( Audio -> EQ for LP/HP hard cutoff to isolate a certain frequency -> Noise gate -> Thor Audio input CV -> Logic tool for a AND/OR to get a clean 0/1 signal )
  • kHs Trance Gate - not worth the price ($60 right now), not the best to program - the circle is annoying - and you can replicate the functionality with a combination of other tools - but when I need that gated sound it's pretty great. Sorta tool that saves time but isn't a must have.
The thing I wish Props would release is a set of CV utilities - logic, buttons, knobs, graphing, inverse/uni/bi, button->value tool, etc. There are a lot of RE's that do this and with thor and a combinator you can almost do it all but some official tools would be nice. Like a tool where I could click to attach a scope to a cv wire would really simplify the rack and be a massive time saver for me. The CV stuff I do to select Antidote's arp to be pattern X or switch between Scream's selectors is such a hack that could be solved by having a button -> cv value and or a combinator rotary selector.

jam-s

16 Feb 2021

jjrh wrote:
16 Feb 2021

The issue I have with this is while you can program longer than 16 step patterns I can't for the life of me figure out how to view more than the first 16 steps in the pattern view Image

Drives me nuts and I end up either automating the pattern select or connecting matrix.
The manual should have some info on this: https://www.audiorealism.se/uploads/4/5 ... manual.pdf

To me that bar at the very bottom of the window looks like a drag handle, but I have not tried it yet.

jjrh

16 Feb 2021

jam-s wrote:
16 Feb 2021
jjrh wrote:
16 Feb 2021

The manual should have some info on this: https://www.audiorealism.se/uploads/4/5 ... manual.pdf

To me that bar at the very bottom of the window looks like a drag handle, but I have not tried it yet.
That bar doesn't actually exist in the RE, I think it's' from the VST.

So I had read that manual a while back and it doesn't actually describe that panel, I took another look and there is a second manual for the update that does.

Turns out how it works is the knob for pattern select actually is each chunk of the 64 patterns. So if you're editing 17-32 you select pattern 2. I had assumed it you could actually have 4 different 64 step patterns but nope. Really confusing design choice.

Thanks for giving me that second kick to look for that second manual :)

eXode

17 Feb 2021

jjrh wrote:
16 Feb 2021
Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer - really solid synth. Not worth the $200 in my opinion but it's good.
Hmm, not updated on its current price, but Expanse full price on release was $149 and with an intro offering of $119 iirc, which is fair imho compared to synths like i.e. Serum, Spire, or Sylenth1.

jjrh

17 Feb 2021

eXode wrote:
17 Feb 2021
jjrh wrote:
16 Feb 2021
Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer - really solid synth. Not worth the $200 in my opinion but it's good.
Hmm, not updated on its current price, but Expanse full price on release was $149 and with an intro offering of $119 iirc, which is fair imho compared to synths like i.e. Serum, Spire, or Sylenth1.
Yeah I was a little surprised - I know I wouldn't have paid $200 (CAD) so I must have grabbed it on sale. I don't think it's a bad synth, just that I don't think it's good enough to justify that price - that's just me though.

Jac459

25 May 2022

I am fairly new to the 'new reason' too, spent thousands of hours on reason 1 to 2.5 but got kids and stopped for... 20 years? Life happened...
So now I am rediscovering fast forward and buying a lot of RE. You guys in this forum are not helping 🤭🤭 to save my wallet.
Synths:
1 - Friktion. The quality of instrument reproduction as well as expressivity is just sublime.
2 - Antidote, reSpire and Expanse are on a class of their own too me. I can't see any competitor for them.
3 - Algorithm is also very very good too me
4 - the legend, Scenic, complex-1, Parsec, oberon, nostromo, abl3 are good but I haven't been blown away like I have been by the ones cited before.

I know in general legend is rated waaay better than a scenic for example but really I like scenic.
I tried Vk2 and zero and didn't find an hurge to buy them like with respire or antidote.

Good surprise of the may sales is Go2 from Rob papen, I find it the best sounding of his synth and fun to use. it is currently heavily discounted.

Effects:
So far I am so happy with the default ones that I didn't purchase any.
I really suck at mixing and mastering so I am using default reason eq and compression leveler. If you guys have good advise I'll be happy to hear (basically tools making mastering simpler, generally I spend a full week to mix and master a track => I really suck at it)
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

25 May 2022

jjrh wrote:
17 Feb 2021
eXode wrote:
17 Feb 2021

Yeah I was a little surprised - I know I wouldn't have paid $200 (CAD) so I must have grabbed it on sale. I don't think it's a bad synth, just that I don't think it's good enough to justify that price - that's just me though.
I looove Expanse. IMHO there is clearly more work on expanse than on almost all synths I have seen (maybe not Europa). The ui is great, it is super versatile and configurable and presets are awesome.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

andyhsong

26 May 2022

everything by synapse, softube, and selig!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 May 2022

andyhsong wrote:
26 May 2022
everything by synapse, softube, and selig!
Softube? Really? Everything? Even the stupid blue expensive one?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DJMaytag

28 May 2022

Instruments:
Macro
Algoritm

Effects:
Omega Mastering Clipper (Forgotten Clank)
Efektor FL306 (Kuassa)
Desmodus (Noise Engineering)
PMS-20 (Primal Audio)

Utilities:
Polymodular Audio Splitter (Blamsoft)
Poly Modular Audio Merger (Blamsoft)
CV-I/O Bundle (Robotic Bean)
CV Tools Bundle (Tonic Mint)

Players:
Drum Sequencer
Sequences (Robotic Bean)

• Information