I can't seem to edit old posts any more

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
adfielding

05 Feb 2021

I used to be able to edit old posts, but I can't seem to do that any more.

For reference - I used to keep all of my live-stream shenanigans contained to this one thread where I would just edit the first post to reflect when the next stream was happening. I can't do that any more - is there any way around this or should I just start a new thread for each stream? I don't want to start spamming the place up, and if I start a new thread then anyone who happens to be following the old one (if anyone actually is!) isn't necessarily going to be notified.

Is this a forum-wide change or is there something funny happening on my end? :)

Billy+

05 Feb 2021

Your not the only one,

And PM's don't seem to be working as expected, not sure why?

Loque

05 Feb 2021

adfielding wrote:
05 Feb 2021
I used to be able to edit old posts, but I can't seem to do that any more.

For reference - I used to keep all of my live-stream shenanigans contained to this one thread where I would just edit the first post to reflect when the next stream was happening. I can't do that any more - is there any way around this or should I just start a new thread for each stream? I don't want to start spamming the place up, and if I start a new thread then anyone who happens to be following the old one (if anyone actually is!) isn't necessarily going to be notified.

Is this a forum-wide change or is there something funny happening on my end? :)
I think there is a limit how long you can edit a post. I am surprised it worked for 4 years...Maybe another mod/admin has more details.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

05 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Your not the only one,

What do you mean? You dont get any new PM or can send them? Maybe you reached the limit and you need to delete old PM.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

05 Feb 2021

I can't send PM, I hardly ever send them but I will go a try to delete them all

But thanks for the speedy response!

Billy+

05 Feb 2021

Loque wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Your not the only one,

What do you mean? You dont get any new PM or can send them? Maybe you reached the limit and you need to delete old PM.

Just check and I've got 10 out of 150 in my inbox, and 15 sent so I don't think it's full or over use!

I just sent Adam one as we have PM'd in the past but it just sits there in the outbox?

Hey Adam good to see your about again!

Loque

05 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Loque wrote:
05 Feb 2021

Just check and I've got 10 out of 150 in my inbox, and 15 sent so I don't think it's full or over use!

I just sent Adam one as we have PM'd in the past but it just sits there in the outbox?

If it sits in the outbox, the recipient doesnt receive or read it. Maybe his inbox is too full.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

05 Feb 2021

Loque wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021

If it sits in the outbox, the recipient doesnt receive or read it. Maybe his inbox is too full.
Ok thanks for that quick test.

adfielding

05 Feb 2021

Loque wrote:
05 Feb 2021
I think there is a limit how long you can edit a post. I am surprised it worked for 4 years...Maybe another mod/admin has more details.
See, I thought that as well but that certainly never used to be the case. I don't mind starting new threads but I don't want to come across like I'm spamming the place up if I get back to doing regular streams, really.
Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Thanks! Just replied to your PM by the way ;)

joeyluck

05 Feb 2021

Hey Adam,

We've enabled the editing time limit because far too many forum members have been abusing the editing capability (not in cases like yours of course).

I've edited the post for you. We will look into other solutions, but feel free to ping any mod if you need to update the date in the first post.

Billy+

05 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Hey Adam,

We've enabled the editing time limit because far too many forum members have been abusing the editing capability
Guess I should stop advising people to update thread titles to [Solved] then, thought that it would be helpful if a solution was found that the title reflected a solution had been found.

joeyluck

05 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
05 Feb 2021
Hey Adam,

We've enabled the editing time limit because far too many forum members have been abusing the editing capability
Guess I should stop advising people to update thread titles to [Solved] then, thought that it would be helpful if a solution was found that the title reflected a solution had been found.
We can do that. Just like I did just now with the Reason+ 3rd party RE/ReFill thread.

Billy+

05 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
05 Feb 2021

We can do that. Just like I did just now with the Reason+ 3rd party RE/ReFill thread.
Seems like a lot of extra work, but I will update my advice. Should that be via PM?

joeyluck

05 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
05 Feb 2021

Seems like a lot of extra work, but I will update my advice. Should that be via PM?
Well the misuse of editing is far worse. Still looking at options and solutions though. You bought up changing a thread to [SOLVED], one of the things related to that is someone asking for help, getting 5 pages of help and then the answer, and then editing their first post to "..." or "figured it out" and then there's no context. That's just one example. And we mods can't even recall an old post after an edit.

Many forums have a post edit limit time of 15 min, enough time to fix typos. For now, we have it set for 24 hours. We'll continue to explore options.

adfielding

07 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
05 Feb 2021
I've edited the post for you. We will look into other solutions, but feel free to ping any mod if you need to update the date in the first post.
That is super awesome of you, thanks! I really appreciate it :) Sorry to hear that folks have been abusing the edit system, here’s hoping things settle down a bit soon.

• Information