Using Reaper for Not-Really Scratching!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EdGrip

04 Feb 2021

I've been using Reaper to record snippets lately, since Studio One Prime let me down.
In Reaper, you can scrub the playhead around on the audio, as if 'twere a piece of tape. It's a bit laggy if you try to move quickly, but it works.
Furthermore, using your loopback system of choice (JACK, VoiceMeeter, or maybe your interface has this facility built in), you can record the sound of your wild scrubbing into another DAW!
I just tried it with Ableton and it works fine.
It's not quite the soft scratching of our dreams, but it's another source of wonky FSU sounds if that's your jam!

Knowing Reaper, I bet you can customise the playhead to track a jogwheel....

MannequinRaces

04 Feb 2021

How is this a Reason tutorial?

EdGrip

05 Feb 2021

Says, "Tutorials & Techniques". Doesn't say it has to be a Reason tutorial or technique (although of course, Reason can be the DAW you record into.)

Thanks for your cheery message, though!

WeLoveYouToo

16 Mar 2021

i use reaper for the live audio chores that reason can't handle (and vst3s) and HOLY HECK i never knew this.
i have been needing this effect for a while, thank you

rmtcvolte

17 Mar 2021

I tested Cableguys - Shaperbox2 with its TimeShaper function recently. Works as scratching type effect, is "playable" with Midi and runs in Reason.

• Information