Lectric Panda Generators

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
Billy+

30 Dec 2020

So I'm really interested in being able to generate some dual arp patterns myself and would love to get my hands of the script used by Lectric Panda, is there any chance you might share?

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Dec 2020

Sorry man, these generators are not meant for human consumption. They are all command line and quite specific to my working environment and have all kinds of things hardcoded. Old versions of python and python libraries and a ton of hacked things I've built up over the years.

I'll dump some python code here for anyone looking to get started.

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Dec 2020

Code: Select all

def create_and_open(filename):
  if not os.path.exists(os.path.dirname(filename)):
      try:
          os.makedirs(os.path.dirname(filename))
      except OSError as exc: # Guard against race condition
          if exc.errno != errno.EEXIST:
              raise
  return open(filename, "w")

def run():

NUM_PATCHES = 500

for patch_type in ["Single","Dual"]:
    for patch_num in xrange(NUM_PATCHES):

complexity = float(patch_num)/float(NUM_PATCHES)

root = xml.etree.ElementTree.parse("Init Patch.repatch")

oldProps = dict()
      for value in root.iter('Value'):
        property_name =  value.attrib["property"].strip()
        property_type =  value.attrib["type"]
        property_value = value.text.strip()
        oldProps[property_name] = property_value

newProps = dict()

generate(newProps,complexity,patch_type)

for property_name,property_value in newProps.items():

elements = root.findall(".//Value[@property='" + property_name + "']")
        if ( len(elements) ):
          elements[0].text = str(property_value)
       #print property_name, property_value

d = '<?xml version="1.0"?>\n' + xml.etree.ElementTree.tostring(root.getroot())

path = "/"
      filename = "./ReFill/%s/LP%s-%05d.repatch" % (patch_type,patch_type[0],patch_num,)

#print filename

f = create_and_open(filename)
      f.write(d)
      f.close()

run()

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Dec 2020

Code: Select all

def flatten(l):
  return [item for sublist in l for item in sublist]

def MakeString(raw):
  return binascii.hexlify("".join([chr(n) for n in raw])).upper()

def generate(newProps,complexity,patch_type):

#notes = [1+(x/30) andint(1,3) for x in xrange(64)]

#for row in xrange(4):
  #  for step in xrange(16):
  #    notes[row][step] = randint(1,4)
  #  
  #for step in xrange(16):
  #  velocity[step] = randint(1,127)

# run 1-4
  # step 1-8

newProps["Hold"] = 1

newProps["Rate 1"] = 15
  newProps["Rate 2"] = choice([11,13,15])

#print complexity
  if ( complexity > 0.5 ):
    newProps["Rate 1"] = choice([15,15,15,14,13,12,17])
    newProps["Rate 2"] = choice([11,11,13,13,15,10,9,8,7,6,5])

newProps["Arp Steps 1"] = choice([4,8,8,12,12,16,16,16,16])
  newProps["Arp Steps 2"] = choice([4,8,12,16,randint(5,16),randint(5,16)])
  newProps["Transpose 2"] = choice([12,12,12,24,36,36])

newProps["Repeat 1"] = choice([0,0,0,0,1])
  newProps["Repeat 2"] = choice([0,0,0,1,1])
  newProps["Octaves 1"] = choice([0,0,0,0,1])
  newProps["Octaves 2"] = choice([0,0,0,1,1])

newProps["Direction 2"] = choice([0,0,1,2,3])

for arp in xrange(2):

notes = [[1] * 16, [1] * 16, [1] * 16, [1] * 16,]
    velocity = [21] * 16

## modify notes and velocity to taste

newProps["NoteLane%d" % (arp+1)] = MakeString(flatten(notes))
    newProps["VelLane%d" % (arp+1)] = MakeString(velocity)

newProps["Arpeggio On %d" % (arp+1)] = 1
    newProps["Arp Steps On %d" % (arp+1)] = choice([1,1,1,1,0])
    newProps["Arp Steps %d" % (arp+1)] = 16 
    newProps["Pattern On %d" % (arp+1)] = 1 
    newProps["Velocity On %d" % (arp+1)] = 1 

if ( patch_type == "Single" ):
    newProps["Arpeggio On 2"] = 0

seqoi

31 Dec 2020

Nice. I don't understand a thing about python, but always interested in new procedural things.

Is there anyway (if that's not taking much time) for you Panda to generate just a bunch of ARP 2 presets/patterns and share them (without really checking them musically) like you did with Polar and Scream refills.

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Dec 2020

Check out http://lectricpanda.com/ for these:

Lectric Panda Generates Quad (108M)
Lectric Panda vs Noise Engineering (4M)
Lectric Panda vs Noise Engineering Vol 2 (9M) [NEW]
Lectric Panda Generates Alligator (18M)
Lectric Panda Generates Dual Arpeggio Vol 1.1 (99M) <<<<<<
Lectric Panda Generates Dual Arpeggio Vol 2.1 (99M) <<<<<<
Lectric Panda Generates MonoPoly (123M)
Lectric Panda Generates PX7 (123M)
Lectric Panda Generates Parsec (v1) (148M)
Lectric Panda Generates Polar (86M)
Lectric Panda Generates Pulveriser (8M)
Lectric Panda Generates Resonans (185M)
Lectric Panda Generates Scream 4 (2M)
Lectric Panda Generates Synchronous Vol 1 (296M)
Lectric Panda Generates Synchronous Vol 2 - Pulses (296M)
Lectric Panda Generates The Echo (8M)
Lectric Panda Generates Thor (88M)

seqoi

31 Dec 2020

Wow somehow i missed those...thanks

Happy New Year to everyone!

Noise
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2020

LectricPanda, let me challenge you to a great library idea to your random stash:

Lectric Panda Generates Complex-1 Vol 1.1 (99M) :D
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

challism

31 Dec 2020

Noise wrote:
31 Dec 2020
LectricPanda, let me challenge you to a great library idea to your random stash:

<3 this idea

I'd also like to see Friktion and Monotone refills.

Those Panda refills are great.... so much stuff to go thru. I keep telling myself I want to make it all the way thru the Dual Arp refills, but I never seem to get very far before one of the patches gets me inspired to work on some music.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

31 Dec 2020

rcbuse wrote:
31 Dec 2020
Sorry man, these generators are not meant for human consumption. They are all command line and quite specific to my working environment and have all kinds of things hardcoded. Old versions of python and python libraries and a ton of hacked things I've built up over the years.

Wow,

Thanks for the code.....

Am I right that's randomly generated not brute force i.e. Dictionary walking?

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Dec 2020

I did finally break down and pick up Complex-1 and Friktion this last sale, so hopefully I'll get some time to generate some patches up
challism wrote:
31 Dec 2020
Noise wrote:
31 Dec 2020

<3 this idea

Those Panda refills are great.... so much stuff to go thru. I keep telling myself I want to make it all the way thru the Dual Arp refills, but I never seem to get very far before one of the patches gets me inspired to work on some music.

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Dec 2020

I would classify it as 'guided random'. Just straight random usually produces non-musical chaos, or in the context of sound generating devices, it produces silence half the time. You really have to iterate though the process until you narrow down generators that work for that specific device you are dealing with.
Billy wrote:
31 Dec 2020
rcbuse wrote:
31 Dec 2020

Wow,

Thanks for the code.....

Am I right that's randomly generated not brute force i.e. Dictionary walking?

Mataya

31 Dec 2020

rcbuse wrote:
31 Dec 2020
I did finally break down and pick up Complex-1 and Friktion this last sale, so hopefully I'll get some time to generate some patches up
challism wrote:
31 Dec 2020

<3 this idea

I'm sorry, but I still can't believe you didn't get those for free(Complex-1 and Friction and everything else from Reason company). You did so much in promoting them, just by showing what can be done on this platform with a bit(a lot) of intelligence and creativenes. If you removed all the devices from "Reason" and left only your Re's, I'd still have the crazyest piece of software and wouldn't copmplain.
Please Matthias or whoever is the man over there, give this man what he needs. Also Robotic Bean and Blamsoft, Jiggery Pokery...you know, it seems to me most of Re developers deserve a free Reason copy, just for making it what it is today.

tx
M

challism

31 Dec 2020

Mataya wrote:
31 Dec 2020
rcbuse wrote:
31 Dec 2020

I'm sorry, but I still can't believe you didn't get those for free(Complex-1 and Friction and everything else from Reason company). You did so much in promoting them, just by showing what can be done on this platform with a bit(a lot) of intelligence and creativenes. If you removed all the devices from "Reason" and left only your Re's, I'd still have the crazyest piece of software and wouldn't copmplain.
Please Matthias or whoever is the man over there, give this man what he needs. Also Robotic Bean and Blamsoft, Jiggery Pokery...you know, it seems to me most of Re developers deserve a free Reason copy, just for making it what it is today.

tx
M
Well said and I completely agree with you. I can't believe they haven't given Rob a license for every RS device in existence. That kind of blows my mind.

But I'm excited to hear that the Pandaman has what he needs to do some guided random patch generation for Complex and Friktion. NICE!! I'm looking forward to those.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moneykube

31 Dec 2020

rcbuse wrote:
31 Dec 2020
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :exclamation: woohoo awesome
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Dec 2020

Hah, well, to be fair I never asked. Its just a lot easier to purchase them. They do provide a whole platform for my stuff to exist, so you know, I don't have any issue with kicking a little back towards that.
Mataya wrote:
31 Dec 2020

tx
M

PhillipOrdonez

01 Jan 2021

rcbuse wrote:
31 Dec 2020
challism wrote:
31 Dec 2020

<3 this idea

Oh shiiiiiiit! Things just got serious! Can't wait to get my hands on those refills 😲😲😲

Kuranes2021

31 Jan 2021

Panda and all the other devs: I hope you guys know how much you and your work are appreciated by us, the so called "Core User Base". We know, how much you contributed to Reason. And be assured: As long as you are bringing out RE's, we'll be there to throw our money at you!

Honestly - I am working in the care of mentally handicapped people. I like my job, but during the pandemic, the job got exhausting (the Stress resulting from the ongoing fear that someone of us might unwillingly bring the Virus in our workingplace, what whitout any doubt would have catastrophic effects on our elderly people that we care for) I find Relief in making music with those fabulous, chaos producing little gems of yours like PSQ, Quad Note Generator and Evolution.

Thanks a lot, man, your work is truly helping people in times like these. Thought you should know that.

Billy+

31 Jan 2021

Kuranes2021 wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Panda and all the other devs: I hope you guys know how much you and your work are appreciated by us, the so called "Core User Base". We know, how much you contributed to Reason. And be assured: As long as you are bringing out RE's, we'll be there to throw our money at you!

Honestly - I am working in the care of mentally handicapped people. I like my job, but during the pandemic, the job got exhausting (the Stress resulting from the ongoing fear that someone of us might unwillingly bring the Virus in our workingplace, what whitout any doubt would have catastrophic effects on our elderly people that we care for) I find Relief in making music with those fabulous, chaos producing little gems of yours like PSQ, Quad Note Generator and Evolution.

Thanks a lot, man, your work is truly helping people in times like these. Thought you should know that.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

rcbuse
RE Developer

31 Jan 2021

Kuranes2021 wrote:
31 Jan 2021

It makes me happy to know these devices have this level of effect on people. I appreciate you saying such things. Most of my devices are the result of a deep affliction of gear acquisition syndrome, or in my case, gear development syndrome. "I'll be able to make amazing music if I have this one last rack extension.... " 20+ devices later... still hardly any music recorded to show for it.

I'll keep making these devices as long as the platform allows it!

moneykube

31 Jan 2021

Panda ... your work is superb :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Kuranes2021

03 Feb 2021

rcbuse wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Kuranes2021 wrote:
31 Jan 2021

It makes me happy to know these devices have this level of effect on people. I appreciate you saying such things. Most of my devices are the result of a deep affliction of gear acquisition syndrome, or in my case, gear development syndrome. "I'll be able to make amazing music if I have this one last rack extension.... " 20+ devices later... still hardly any music recorded to show for it. o

I really mean it, Panda. Just right now I'm playing with "Evolution" (Key: "C", Scale: "Minor Pentatonic", connected to Robotic Beans' "Resonans", Preset: "Box with the dancer"), and it fills me with a deep joy to listen to this chaotic, and yet harmonic stream of sounds.

It helps me to forget the insanity of our times. And lets me dream about better days.
Most of my devices are the result of a deep affliction of gear acquisition syndrome, or in my case, gear development syndrome. "I'll be able to make amazing music if I have this one last rack extension.... " 20+ devices later... still hardly any music recorded to show for it.
I think I know what you mean, considering that in 18 years (I started using Reason in December 2002) I produced at least 3000 Reason projects, and roughly 1500 soundfiles (here we are talking about loops, phrases that I exported into wavs/mp3s; In recent years I started doing this regularly, so that I do not have to open the project to see what's inside).

But only a very small percentage reached a state that can legitimitaley be called "finished". Most of them remain "unfinished". And while I - for a long time - felt shame for being unable to finish at least a significant number of them, I am now at peace with this fact. Why? Well, firstly, it was David Bowie who once said: "Songs are never finished. You just abandon them". And secondly I realized, that most of the ideas in this collection of unfinished soundfiles never pushed to be pressed into a song format that conformed to any convention. They rather constitute something that actually could be called a "diary of daydreams". Oh well, I hope that doesn't sound too pathetic. I could also say:
"they are self-sufficient". Like those waves in that strange thought, that I once found written somewhere in the net. I do not remember, who said those words, but they left an impression on me:

"The waves, they don't care. They were born out at sea, and they live to crash."

(By the way, those words I took as the title of the last song of my e.p. that I created for the "one synth challenge" here on Reasontalk (initiated back in the day by Tritone Addiction), it was NOSTROMO that I used therein. And also this track isn't really finished. Just a thought, just a dream. And didn't Edgar Alan Poe say: "Is all that we see or seem But a dream within a dream?" Here it is, in case you'd like to hear it:

Do not think about what you haven't done. Be proud for what you've done: Created a whole lot of awesome devices that fills dudes like me with the inkling, that there's more to this world than just this madness, that is rampaging all around.

Thanks Panda, honestly.
I hope, Reason Studios is wise enough to allow it. If not, it would be a terribly shame. Not just because it would mean to betray you and the other devs, who played a significant role in making Reason really unique. (and by the way, it is not without irony to remember, that the most recent RE, that Reason Studios produced, the "Pattern Mutator" - was developed by Robotic Bean, a 3rd Party Dev.) Furthermore, it would rob the new userbase the opportunity to experience the awesomeness of all those phantastic Rack Extensions that were created by you and the other 3rd Party Devs, and that would be really a pity.

mjxl

04 Feb 2021

rcbuse wrote:
31 Jan 2021
It makes me happy to know these devices have this level of effect on people. I appreciate you saying such things. Most of my devices are the result of a deep affliction of gear acquisition syndrome, or in my case, gear development syndrome. "I'll be able to make amazing music if I have this one last rack extension.... " 20+ devices later... still hardly any music recorded to show for it.

I love having Reason in the background, create some soundscapey setup and go on playing games/whatever the hell I do :P !
( The other day I completely forgot that it was ME producing the background ambients D: haha )

So yeah by now I've bought half the store, and not a single minute of music "written"...

There's a LOT of REALLY (no REALLY REALLY) good devices, but I feel yours are the ones that connected with me the most !
When I heard the demos for Fritz, Torsion and Nostromo I didn't even own Reason yet, but they gave that extra nudge in my back to throw money at my screen haha !

• Information