WTFM Wavetable FM synth from Turn2On!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

03 Feb 2021

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ynthesizer
WTFM is not an FM synthesizer in the traditional sense.

Rather it is a hybrid synthesizer which uses the flexibility of Wavetables in combination with FM synthesizer Operators. WTFM Wavetable FM Synthesizer produces complex harmonics by modulating the various selectable WT waveforms of the oscillators using further oscillators (operators).

Imagine the flexibility of the FM Operators using this method. Wavetables are a powerful way to make FM synthesis much more interesting.

WTFM is based on the classical Amp, Pitch and Filter Envelopes with AHDSR settings. PRE and POST filters include classical HP/BP/LP modes. 6 FXs (Vocoder / EQ Band / Chorus / Delay / Reverb) plus a Limiter which adds total control for the signal and colours of the Wavetable FM synthesis.

Last edited by antic604 on 04 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EdGrip

03 Feb 2021

"190?" really made me lol πŸ˜‚

This looks great!

arnigretar

03 Feb 2021

Nice 4OP like the good old TX81Z, etc. Will try this
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Mataya

03 Feb 2021

Seems really interesting. Don't really like the GUI by this guy/guys/girls, but if it's a beast behind the gui, I like it.

Let's try it.

M

Loque

03 Feb 2021

Featurewise it sounds interesting. Only loading of own wavetables or samples is missing. I will give it a try.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

04 Feb 2021

Mataya wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2021
...Don't really like the GUI...
Loque wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2021
Featurewise it sounds interesting...
Frankly, that's my main issue with their devices - they're overcrowded & squeezed into GUIs that are 2x too small and usually very depressingly & drab looking :(

I'll wait for RS' reveal of Algoritm (or however it's spelled...) to decide.

BTW, do devs not have access to their devices in high-res mode when using the dev tools? Comparing to RS videos since Europa onwards, the shots of WTFM look very grainy and low-res in this promo video, in the user manual, etc.
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

04 Feb 2021

EdGrip wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2021
Can you clue me in? Why is that funny?
Music tech enthusiast.

challism

04 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021
03 Feb 2021
Because it's one more than 189, and we all know how hilarious 189 is (most of the time). 189 does have some relatively earnest moments.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdGrip

04 Feb 2021

04 Feb 2021
03 Feb 2021
It's just such a random number. The idea that someone watching the video would guess 190.

turn2on
RE Developer

04 Feb 2021

Hi there :puf_smile:
03 Feb 2021
Its must be progression with logical step "200"... But its not interesting to use "200", we used "190" for some fun. :D
arnigretar wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2021
Nice 4OP like the good old TX81Z, etc. Will try this
Yesterday we think about TX81Z waveforms. And may be add it soon.
Today no needs in new emulations of DX7. Nobody interesting just another in new one oldschool FM.
WTFM created to not emulate anything, but use power of the various possible waveforms.
Loque wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2021
Featurewise it sounds interesting. Only loading of own wavetables or samples is missing.
Currently is hard for us to realise user custom WT samples loading to the FM Operators.
Device architecture not have sample using at all (no one-sample included), so no possibilities by engine to play WT samples or sample convetion into it.

450+ Wavetables - have a massive portion of waveforms.
Look from other side: 32 categories!!
Device include WTs from 16 hardware synths (and its only 7 categories of WT's) and 17 modular eurorack modules. Try RE and open hardware categories... its a really sweet collection of WT... into FM synth.

Back for seconds to DX7 (one Sine waveform at 12bit DAC outs), or TX81Z/DX7gn2 (8 waveforms)... and back up to the WTFM's 30.000 waveforms! We plan to add more
Our synth not about strong emulate of any real hardware, but we using their source waveforms for powerful results.

Oldschool FM... Time for modern FM with flexibility of the operators waveforms. Look at the Korg OpSix, its a real modern engine.. So WTFM includes some syhthesis modes:
1. Wavetable
2. FM synthesis
3. FM modulated by WT (FM WT MOD)
4. Ringmod
5. Filter FM

Device based on spectral analysis, and not have any internal samples at all. WTFM not make at all any stress for the DSP.
antic604 wrote: I'll wait for RS' reveal of Algoritm (or however it's spelled...) to decide.
Month of waiting for the new beatiful GUI and FM synth. I believe. Algorithm FM by RS must be interesting and we all can love it :thumbs_up: PX7 - was been really outdated.
We start work under WTFM at July. And PX7 going out from the shop is a big news for us. And new device Algorithm release from RS break some our plans. But anyway, WTFM something other with flexibility of FM and waveforms (not just for quantity, all wavetables - really useful). They not must be the same exclude FM category)))

WTFM not a waveform-limited few-Osc synthesizer with target to producing collection of patches.
Its a collection of waveforms for user experiments into FM. Main idea - user work with WT morphings and can produce much more from oscillators under FM engine.

How much FM synths can morphing waveforms? Modern Korg OpSix FM synth include waveworms "Width", and this is something near to WT morphings, but not at all. WTFM include realy deep WT morphings. This is a perfect side of modern FM.
04 Feb 2021
do devs not have access to their devices in high-res mode when using the dev tools?
Im one of the devs who very long time ask for SDK - renderning pictures for shop, as ready device panels with all GUI elements. To have real device screen... But currently SDK render only background skin of the device, without any display elements (text values and some active graphic is not icluded).

Two ways solution to have finished shop pictures :
A. using printrsceens of real device in Reason (only current 754px width),
B. Use rendered background panel of device in sourced 4k. Plus add layers to it of some text with another fonts.. graphical elements layers.. and rescale it down to 1650px for the shop. Additional manual work that not present 1:1 to real Reason device screenshots but with better quality.

All files for REs build in 4K. (all RE in years waiting Hi-Res update, because all of them based on 4K graphic).

This is 1650px of the device,that been attached to product page soon as possible:
WTFM1650px.png
WTFM1650px.png (649.25 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
Open this image in new window for 1650px size.

Yes, devs need manual work to additionaly create finished product screens, SDK not render panels as finished.
But I beleive that sometime SDK must render shop screens, its logical. May be something change with anounced Hi-Res support.
04 Feb 2021
that's my main issue with their devices - they're overcrowded & squeezed into GUIs that are 2x too small and usually very depressingly & drab looking :(
We build WTFM based on the GUI elements size of Subtractor and Maelstrom. All knobs as minimum - like in SubTractor. No real problem to use any knobs or faders. All elemnts is absoltely compared with other native and some 3rd part REs.

I understand what you try to say... Device not have enough free space on the panel.
Mainstream - to have Big-U panels with big elements. Compare something modern to Subtractor..
But years ago, PH SDK have rules: device must not using big panels and have oversized design from real hardware into the rack... time is go, and many RS devices - using big U-panel in height with big elements...

Anyway, we already change design solutions and our new FX (in work), have absoltely new design from all our products.
We are look what users say about this and from this point - start our design from this with new design priorities.

ps: We start to dicontinued our first old device. Know, some REs also need in redesign too.
Design is not the main part, but must be going on the modern level. Possibilities of FM - really more important.

Just opening project with 12 WTFMs on 4k...... Need to scroll....
If we open in double-sized panels this project, we need to scroll x2 4k displays..))))
For me - its a pain to select size between small compact GUI and big device into rack that really eat rack space. Need solution between this.
Last edited by turn2on on 04 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

04 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021
Anyway, WTFM - not have bad design, it have compact design...
Thanks for your post! :thumbup:

I can see and understand there are multiple constraints, but as a - potential - user I only see the end result and can't tell which decisions result from design and which from those external constraints (like RS policy and tools). I really appreciate the amount of thought and features you've put into the device - it's quite stunning and pretty unique, too!

I could summarise my main points as follows, for your consideration:
- yes, the GUI could use some spacing - everything is too close together
- more space would let you add some visual cues about signal flow (e.g. like Thor or Maelstrom)
- likewise, adding some colour would help quickly identify segments of the device (e.g. if OPs were colour-coded, then you could easily tell where they are in algorithms, which OP's wavetable is being edited, etc.)
- bigger device would allow to display elements - that are now tabbed - individually, e.g. LFOs, effects, etc.
- you could avoid using abbreviations or fonts of different styles / sizes
Music tech enthusiast.

EdGrip

04 Feb 2021

I agree the GUI looks a bit squashed, and *from a distance* feels grey and fiddly.

When you look closer, it's better, though - the design language is like a more skeumorphic Ableton device chain. But Ableton have got very good at demonstrating the beauty of grey and flat. ;)

That's just my feedback - I think the concept is a simple and exciting one! FM X Wavetables!

mjxl

04 Feb 2021

Dangit, I was already thinking to get Tribute and Obsession!
Seems there will be a threesome in the shopping cart soon LOL

Loque

04 Feb 2021

mjxl wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2021
Dangit, I was already thinking to get Tribute and Obsession!
Seems there will be a threesome in the shopping cart soon LOL
I tried Obsession, its phenomenal. But i wait for a good deal, since i have already too many synths.
Tribute is pretty good and has character. Its marketing points it out as a bass synth. Well, i can also make it sound like a very nice piano. So it can do everything, just a bit clunky with the ADSR.

And this WTFM looks really interesting. I will try at the WE.
Reason12, Win10

platzangst

05 Feb 2021

Well, the video's backing track sold me.

WasteLand

05 Feb 2021

i must admit, i almost never heard a promo video, with a 'sound showcase' that was so convincing. meaning, not to try, to 'emulate' another EDM lead.. (nothing against EDM or EDM leads), but producing the real possibilities of an instrument.

great sound!

FM synthesis in WT synths isn't that new.. or can also be done in..., o well. and (most) WT synths, are 'spectral', or better additive.. but still this is very convincing device. a great device. and no samples, they are already stored 'additve' (FFT)?. that is quite nice for the CPU.

but as ever workflow, and also the containing WTables (although i tend to make them myself, or single cycle waves), determines if an instrument can be an addition, even if you own a lot of FM capabilities (strange sentence), in several ways. workflow gives other results.

and in that view this RE seems an addition. for me personal? i don't know.. tempting.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

antic604

05 Feb 2021

Am I right in understanding that the chosen WT is used in all 4 OPs? I was under the impression (based on my expectations, granted) that it's not the case, but I can't find any way to have different WTs per OP.

That's a bummer, actually :(
Music tech enthusiast.

turn2on
RE Developer

05 Feb 2021

Chosen WT - is a global parameter. I'm understand your interest to use various WTs into Operators.
Variant to using under FM engine four various WTs using really much more DSP. Yes, waveforms of WTs - FFTs.
And FFT not using so much resources (if we have one wavetable with 64 waveforms)...
But if you need to work with modulations of 64*4=256FFTs at real time, its cpu stress, because modulatons of waveforms can create peaks.
And also, selected WT can modulate (in various synthesis modes) needed paramteres ... In this way to save this modes for work - we must have additional active 1 active WT + 4 active WT (operators), total = 5WT * 64frames = 320FFTs at real time.

There can be possible solution to have sample-based FM with single-cycles waveforms.. and samples... all 30.000+ frames - really eat hdd space, and this type of device - eat not only CPU, but also RAM.. Who needs in rack 500-600+ mb size of RE + his GUI?

So, principail solution to work with one actual WT enough to build rich sounds.
One WT is not just a morphing of few waveforms. Part of WTs - is a collection of various waveforms too.
And there no problem if you research WT waveforms, to use only one WT with big range of various waveforms.

We all loving reason devices also for CPU economy. And task to have FM calculations with possible waveforms - to save DSP meter at low level.

With LFO outputs, some Players, you can build real interesting things without combinator using some WTFms.
Anyway, Combinator always there to combine what you need.

antic604

05 Feb 2021

turn2on wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2021
Chosen WT - is a global parameter...
Thank you! :thumbup:

Yes, I suspected it's because of DSP (& potentially RAM) constraints.

Not really a problem, just was curious if I'm maybe missing some setting or something :)
Music tech enthusiast.

arnigretar

05 Feb 2021

very nice synth and i really like the gui. my kind... basic and simple. top work
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Auryn

06 Feb 2021

Am I the only one who finds the WTFM acronym hilarious? It's like the perfect name for a noob-friendly FM synth
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

bxbrkrz

06 Feb 2021

WTF Man!
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

dusan.cani

06 Feb 2021

Those performance controls (PW & MW) are really funny ! :mrgreen: (in the positive way - I like them)

Find them ! :mrgreen:

turn2on
RE Developer

06 Feb 2021

WTFM is a real nice short name. If you find it fun, I can understand. Into intro video I try to say "WT, FM, WTF? WTFM.." :D , but its vulgar and I'm cut it out of course.
WTF.fw.png
WTF.fw.png (91.25 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
So yes, its fun play of words. But absolutely clear to understand what it do.
I'm waiting that somebody write about "WTF" :puf_bigsmile: OK! few days now from release, I think that this must be one of the first questions after release)))
So, anyway look at the Mutable Instruments Braids module with famous mode "WTFM". Big army of eurorack fans love this mode very much, and nobody find it hilarious))
Today I found one wavetable FM on the beta stage in VST format.. So.. double names.. also WTFM..))
Anyway, google now know WTFM as RE by some known music software portals and more, also there Mutable Braids mode, FM station, and beta fm instrument..

• Information