Reason+ from a developer point of view

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
Loque

29 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2021

If you are really interested, you should ask James private, so DM him. I mean, if you are REALLY interested in providing content.
I understand the need for privacy, but I think it might be valuable to all to see open honest discussions.
No.

And the way you talk the last days i am pretty sure, you wont get any offer. Sorry to say that, but i whish you good luck :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

nickb523
RE Developer

29 Jan 2021

My updated 2 pennies -

I have to state publicly that established sound designers are getting offered agreeable deals for the sound packs. It's really fair, which I was not expecting.

From my interactions today I would say that this whole subscription thing is in early access. They (RS) do indeed appear looking after us which I expect given a little time will extend into the RE market. It's just that IMHO it's all been rolled out waaaaay to frigging early, but it's not all doom and gloom, it's a very significant change but it's not all bad.

To all of the RS crew - Please keep all of us devs in mind. Just approach us and we will likely work something out. Also please don't assume that we are all forum/discord/social media users.... most of us have been doing that shit for 20 years or more and are bored of it now - just email directly or even call and I'm sure we will figure something out.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. :)

Nick

starship
RE Developer

28 Apr 2021

Hey there. I know this is months later, but I'm just reading this thread for the first time and freaking out all over again. :)

What's the general feeling on the direction here? Personally I've got years' worth of REs planned, several in dev.. a box full of brainstorms on paper.. ;) and I'll be honest, a lot of the communication around this and other things has really left me worried.

Is there movement on the shop issue and RE integration with the sub and such? I'm seriously out of the loop... so apologies if I should be learning of this elsewhere, but I mean I get a few official emails that are often not actually accurate. ;) And I dunno. Honestly, I just plug away at dev'ing and assume the shop will still work the same, that REs are still viable, etc., etc.

So yeah.. if I'm wrong about that assumption... :) I would like to know. I mean is this going to be a case of choice devs getting integrated and thus making a living and the rest of us getting sidelined? That would raise a few questions. ;) (lol) IDK. I understand there's a lot of opinions but do we know anything concrete?

And personally I'm still trying to break out.. to make a living at this. So there's some extra worry there. :) ? again, IDK. Would love to be reassured! :)

cheers

Mark

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

28 Apr 2021

starship wrote:
28 Apr 2021
What's the general feeling on the direction here?

Is there movement on the shop issue and RE integration with the sub and such?
We're still supporting our REs and working on updates as always. R+ sub allows users basically to have the 'full kaboodle' for RS products at a subscription fee. If they end their subscription, they end up with zip, until/unless they buy a full license of Reason as a DAW (perpetual) so they still get the base stock minus the RSR+ products (which makes sense).

Quite a few other companies are doing the same thing (Izotope, Slate, Plugin Alliance), it's not to replace but to aid those who maybe want to investigate what's on offer without fully committing like we all used do (and we still do, we prefer to buy outright but totally get the subs model)

So, from our point of view you can continue on, R+ users can buy 3rd party REs even while they subscribe, they'll still have 3rd party RE licenses which they can either A) use with R+ subscription or B) buy Reason perpetual to get stock + 3rd party REs.

gbball

28 Apr 2021

pongasoft wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Since the "main" thread is up to 67 pages long, it is hard to follow and have a constructive discussion. So I wanted to start a thread specifically for developers and get their opinion/point of view.

So I guess I am going to start:

* the announcement of Reason Hi Res is by far the thing that is exciting me a lot since this is something that we have been begging for so long (timeline still unclear but at least it is official it is coming...)

* in terms of Reason+ I am very worried for the impact on REs. I think for the people who stick to the full purchase price it probably won't change much. For newcomers that are going to shell $20 a month for the full Reason and 70+ devices built-in, it is going to be very hard for them to shell more money to buy REs that yes they own, but they become useless the day they stop paying for the subscription although they have bought and paid full price for them.

I can imagine a few avenues that in my mind could alleviate the concerns and help Reason+ subscribers buy REs:

* this is something I have already talked about and reiterate here: release a FREE version of RRP which contains nothing but the rack (and a mixer). That way the RE you have purchased have a chance to be usable if you cancel your subscription and decide to go with another DAW (like if you had bought a VST plugin...)
* if you have subscribed for "long" enough (example, paid for a full year) you should be able to fall back to the latest version of Reason Studio (and fine if you don't get all the 70+ REs that come with it but just the ones that would be included in a non subscription version). For example, I subscribe to Jetbrains toolbox yearly for their IDEs (~$140 a year), and if I stop my subscription, I automatically get a license for the last version of all their tools that was released before my subscription expires. Again that way, the REs you have purchased are still usable even if you cancel your subscription.
* somewhat a mix of both: if you cancel your subscription, you get a license to use RRP only, that way your REs are still valid
* release Reason++ which contains Reason+ and ALL REs (for a higher price obviously) and find a way to pay the developer a fair share... that way you never buy any REs nor Reason, you just lease all of it..

I would appreciate if only developers would chime in and please don't turn it into a flaming war...

Yan
I agree with everything you've said and proposed the same. It seems weird that they would on one hand offer rent to own for devices, but then not do the same for the DAW using Reason+ subscription.

They should like you said have a free RRP...that way all the rack extensions become enticing to an audience beyond even just the Reason perpetual and Reason+ subscribers...kind of like Unity game engine. They have a free version of the engine, but they still make bank off their asset store.

Then, for those who subscribe for long enough, maybe 2 years...they should get a credit for the latest version of Reason up until whatever point they stop subscribing. But it should be for the DAW only and none of the paid Reason Rack Extensions.

That way anyone who walks away from R+ still would have the DAW they've earned through monthly payments or at the very least the free RRP that they can use with and Rack Extensions they've paid for.

It makes a lot of sense and could really drive interest in the DAW, Reason+ and the Reason Shop.

challism

30 May 2021

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
28 Apr 2021
starship wrote:
28 Apr 2021
buddard wrote:
29 Jan 2021
nickb523 wrote:
29 Jan 2021
jamespember wrote:
29 Jan 2021

I'm not a developer but I wanted to chime in here and just encourage developers to continue to support the RE market by continuing to develop and release REs and supporting the older ones. We just celebrated the 10 year anniversary of the RE platform. I think it's clear REs aren't going away. And Reason's userbase is growing! That only means more future sales for developers. I, for one will, continue to support your efforts, and I know others will, too. I prefer the RE format over VSTs; it's not even a contest. I would also like to thank you all for what you have done for the RE market in the past; it is very much appreciated. I wish you all success in the future, whatever you decide to do.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

bidaar

31 May 2021

challism wrote:
30 May 2021
LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
28 Apr 2021
starship wrote:
28 Apr 2021
buddard wrote:
29 Jan 2021
nickb523 wrote:
29 Jan 2021
jamespember wrote:
29 Jan 2021

I'm not a developer but I wanted to chime in here and just encourage developers to continue to support the RE market by continuing to develop and release REs and supporting the older ones. We just celebrated the 10 year anniversary of the RE platform. I think it's clear REs aren't going away. And Reason's userbase is growing! That only means more future sales for developers. I, for one will, continue to support your efforts, and I know others will, too. I prefer the RE format over VSTs; it's not even a contest. I would also like to thank you all for what you have done for the RE market in the past; it is very much appreciated. I wish you all success in the future, whatever you decide to do.
+1
I truly prefer RE to VSTs too and bought so many REs in the short time I became a Reason user , to the better days for Reason and RE market :reason: :thumbs_up: ;) :re:
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

starship
RE Developer

31 May 2021

challism wrote:
30 May 2021
Hey there, just wanted to chime in and apologize. I actually tried to clarify my post and apologize for stirring up drama, replying to Lab One's post immediately, but for some reason, that never showed up. Or at least I looked into this thread a few weeks back and noticed it wasn't there and felt like even more of an ass.

Personally appreciate the sentiments here from the last 2 posts (only quoted 1).. :)

I think mainly what concerned me and other devs was the perception that REs were being sidelined via this subscription model, and I was wondering if that situation was resolved or if there were plans to do so. I'm pretty out of the loop.

And honestly, I have had critical messages just not get delivered before in RT, usually because of user error. :) (i.e. me). I wonder if the interface could use some work to help dumbasses like me not e.g. send mails to nowhere and/or IDK.. post a reply that goes nowhere? IDK what happened there. :)

But REgardless.. there's a reason I personally wanted to do RE dev.. and that reason was Reason. :)

Cheers!

challism

31 May 2021

starship wrote:
31 May 2021
challism wrote:
30 May 2021
Hey there, just wanted to chime in and apologize. I actually tried to clarify my post and apologize for stirring up drama, replying to Lab One's post immediately, but for some reason, that never showed up. Or at least I looked into this thread a few weeks back and noticed it wasn't there and felt like even more of an ass.

Personally appreciate the sentiments here from the last 2 posts (only quoted 1).. :)

I think mainly what concerned me and other devs was the perception that REs were being sidelined via this subscription model, and I was wondering if that situation was resolved or if there were plans to do so. I'm pretty out of the loop.

And honestly, I have had critical messages just not get delivered before in RT, usually because of user error. :) (i.e. me). I wonder if the interface could use some work to help dumbasses like me not e.g. send mails to nowhere and/or IDK.. post a reply that goes nowhere? IDK what happened there. :)

But REgardless.. there's a reason I personally wanted to do RE dev.. and that reason was Reason. :)

Cheers!
Has some of the most complex CV tools in the shop; calls himself a dumbass! What the hell does that make me? ha ha ha

Don't be too hard on yourself. It is completely understandable the way many Devs felt after R+ was announced. RS made some big mistakes and I think they learned some lessons. And that's actually great, because they are striving to be more transparent now. Hopefully the "shop" link will make itself back to the top of the RS website pretty soon.

Please don't beat yourself up. I didn't think you were coming across as an ass. We are usually much more critical of ourselves than others are (unless you are running a major DAW, then you catch hell from everyone!). If I had a penny for every time I've posted something that made me look like an asshol3.... let's just say, I would own more REs.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

starship
RE Developer

01 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
31 May 2021
Has some of the most complex CV tools in the shop; calls himself a dumbass! What the hell does that make me? ha ha ha

Don't be too hard on yourself. It is completely understandable the way many Devs felt after R+ was announced. RS made some big mistakes and I think they learned some lessons. And that's actually great, because they are striving to be more transparent now. Hopefully the "shop" link will make itself back to the top of the RS website pretty soon.

Please don't beat yourself up. I didn't think you were coming across as an ass. We are usually much more critical of ourselves than others are (unless you are running a major DAW, then you catch hell from everyone!). If I had a penny for every time I've posted something that made me look like an asshol3.... let's just say, I would own more REs.
LOL!

Well, in my experience, coders are not known for their social skills. :) Kinda goes with the territory, being a dumbass in some domains. :) But yeah, I'm pretty hard on myself and honestly, have largely abandoned social media and stuff b/c of the dynamics involved.

Anyway, glad to hear this.

Not excited to hear the shop link is still maybe buried.

Cheers!

moneykube

02 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
30 May 2021
+1
I truly prefer RE to VSTs too and bought so many REs in the short time I became a Reason user , to the better days for Reason and RE market :reason: :thumbs_up: ;) :re:
my preference as, well... Re re re... :re:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

06 Jul 2021

Just a screenshot from the future:

Andras
----------------
I am the voice of PinkNoise

:reason: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :essentials: :rebirth: :recycle: :refillpacker: :re:

Billy+

06 Jul 2021

IMG_2760.PNG
IMG_2760.PNG (329.5 KiB) Viewed 6623 times

It's not so bad.... :lol:

djsmex

06 Nov 2021

Hi, I'm new to RE development but would like to put the idea forward:
Add the upgrade and full license to the reward scheme. Add a percentage of the reason plus as reward points. Then as users pay subscriptions, and/or buy REs they build up reward points allowing for greatly reduced/free purchases of reason upgrades or full licensed versions.
The platform is already there, it would add more value to reason plus and give users the option to get upgrades/full licensed versions to keep their REs without being locked into a subscription model.

MAJIKstudios

11 Jul 2022

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I can't see any causal user buying anything extra, I just can't.
Casual R+ user here. Was on R9/10/11 before that. I own a good handful of REs and am waiting for KUASSA Rectifor RE to release so I can buy that.

Amp sims.
Compressors. (single and multiband)
Multi-Band EQs. (With M/S capabilities)
Utilities. (spectral analyzers, bigger splitters, etc)
These are the things worth buying IMHO.

• Information