Reason Intro Players in Logic Pro

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
BobbyDismay

28 Jan 2021

I'm just about to buy Intro before it disappears, but first just wanted to check, can I use one of the players, say the arpeggiator, as a VST in Logic Pro but using it to control a a third party software instrument (ie. not Reason, not Logic Pro)?.

Thanks

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Actually I'm not sure buying a discontinued product is going to be worth the price,

You would be better off getting Cthulhu https://xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

It's far more advanced than stock players

Could even be the reason we've never got full midi support in Reason as they wanted to sell us the players.

BobbyDismay

31 Jan 2021

Thanks for the response, Cthulhu definitely looks interesting.

I actually thought getting the now discontinued Reason Intro before they sell out might be a great idea. It'll cost the same as 10 weeks of Reason+ but give me years worth of instruments and players, which I intend to use in Logic, without having to pay longterm.

What do you think the downsides of buying a discontinued product are, no support?

Billy+

31 Jan 2021

Listen I would never dissuade anyone from buying reason I love it and have for 20 years, if that's what you've set your mind on go for it and enjoy it.

But if you're just looking for a good arpeggio then you've got my answer to your initial post.

As for buy a discontinued product, ultimately I couldn't recommend it. I also think there are some limitations within the lite and intro products but you would need to check exactly what they are and how they might affect you personally.

I hope this helps, check back and update the thread to let me know what you did...

DaveyG

01 Feb 2021

I find the players to be the most interesting part of Reason these days and I love using them with VSTs in Studio One. Beatmap and Quad Note Generator are in one of my S1 project templates for when I need inspiration.
The rest or Reason is just what it is. I certainly don't need any more synths or effects and I rarely do anything at the back of the rack.

RS would find a sizeable market if they were to package the players as individual VSTs.

BobbyDismay

01 Feb 2021

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely think carefully about whether its a good idea to get a discontinued product.

Davey G that's interesting, I've just finished my free demo and loved using the synths and players to add electronic clunk and sequenced drums to my guitar based music in Logic. So you successfully use the players to trigger third party vst's through another DAW, I wonder if this will work in Logic.

Intro appears to have most of the instruments and players I'd actually experimented with during the demo period anyway so might be a good bet.

jwd606

01 Feb 2021

The Logic arpeggiator is pretty good. I prefer it to the Reason one.

mjxl

01 Feb 2021

Imo Dual Arpeggio IS really a good arpeggiator.

The fact it can have 2 sequences running at the same time, and each sequence has dedicated rate, direction, octaves played and a repeat function is already good.
Couple that with the ability to set a fixed step amount regardless of the notes you put in, being able to write a pattern in each of them, and have per step velocity controls !
I'd say it's really complete.

I'm no musician, nor am I anywhere close to a Reason Pro, but I still feel like Intro/Lite is a really good deal.
If you are looking at Intro/Lite for the arpeggiator, it'd be "dumb" not to buy it, since that Arp comes with a ton of synths, effects, utilities and even sound banks.

BobbyDismay

01 Feb 2021

Thanks guys. Yeah it's not so much that I' looking for a really great arpeggiator, I used that as an example, but I've basically really enjoyed messing about with Reason as a VST in Logic for the last month. I think getting Intro while it is still available will be an affordable way to keep having fun with that workflow.

The thing that I just wondered while I'm between having had the demo and probably buying Intro was that if I can use the players, of which there are 3 in Intro, to play other synths in Logic this would be really great cos I've enjoyed using the players. Logic has good players too it's true.

I'm probably buying it anyway, but was just wondering! I think the answer is yes so that's cool :-)

Discarded

02 Feb 2021

Did you very intro? I'd say it's very worth it if you still can.

• Information