Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
28 Jan 2021
... Made it a clear 50/50 option on their home page, made it crystal clear it was just another way of using Reason and not their main focus ...
But what happened when they stated that clearly on this thread? The doubters still persisted with their accusations, so it doesn't matter if or how they address it.

Some people will believe what they want to believe no matter what.

DecafDreams

28 Jan 2021

avasopht wrote:
28 Jan 2021
DecafDreams wrote:
28 Jan 2021
... Made it a clear 50/50 option on their home page, made it crystal clear it was just another way of using Reason and not their main focus ...
But what happened when they stated that clearly on this thread? The doubters still persisted with their accusations, so it doesn't matter if or how they address it.

Some people will believe what they want to believe no matter what.
Yes but it was clearly an ill-judged publicity campaign. A successful one would not have had the reaction this one has. This has done a lot of damage to the company's standing in the eyes of many loyal fans. Not what they're doing necessarily (or haven't done yet!) but the way they've gone about communicating it.

froggo_gfx

28 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
froggo_gfx wrote:
28 Jan 2021
...and you see that as a smart move because..?
Because right now people simply refuse to listen and won't accept any explanation or justification :(

I read the announcements and watched the stream very carefuly. I think they're being sincere in that they want Reason+ to facilitate easier access to Reason for new users and also force/encourage themselves to develop & expand it going forward: both the DAW and REs, for both new people and those that decide to stay with perpetual licensing model. The only group of people that actually, tangibly lost something with the Reason+ announcement is those with 11 Lite/Intro who never planned on buying higher versions. Everyone else is getting worked up because of some imaginary story, where they expected to get 12 for free, or get another Suite version with new REs included because they need to feel superior, or who are afraid of some wild scenario because they are unable to comprehend 2 pages of simple text...
Well I mean. Yeah, the problem of R+ ITSELF is strongly exaggerated, to this I agree. I’m not defending nobody’s blind anger or accusations of treason towards RS.

I’m just saying that it’s exactly THAT PR policy that you are encouraging right now is what led to such a shitstorm yesterday. Zero transparency and one-sided communication with a slight touch of corporate hypocrisy is simply a BAD practice. It harms company’s image, it makes your audience upset.
It’s not fair to assume that every angry user is just dumb, even if they’re a bit too fast in their judgement. So maybe a little bit of damage control would be appropriate?
Last edited by froggo_gfx on 28 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

arqui

28 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
lrey wrote:
27 Jan 2021
The more people that adopt the subscription plan, the more likely that Reason Studios will phase out perpetual licenses.

Make your voices heard through your wallets. Just DO NOT give RS your money.

DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO R+
I say let the market decide. I'm not subscribing myself, but not because I'm on some crusade or anything - it's because it's not for me!
The market will "speak" no matter if a few folks boycott or not. The REAL time to not subscribe is when there is no other option. I'll happily move over to Logic if that day comes, but until then I want Reason Studios to make enough $$$ to stay in business so I can keep using it!!!
without neglecting all the content of this post, which is actually very interesting, this is the wisest and most reasonable thing that I read
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
28 Jan 2021

Yes but it was clearly an ill-judged publicity campaign. A successful one would not have had the reaction this one has. This has done a lot of damage to the company's standing in the eyes of many loyal fans. Not what they're doing necessarily (or haven't done yet!) but the way they've gone about communicating it.
No matter how they communicated it, those with a firm belief that subscriptions means they are greedy corporations who are going to remove the option to buy outright and force them to subscribe will never be convinced.

It really doesn't matter what anyone says to them. They are committed to their belief.

Gothi

28 Jan 2021

When I company takes a risk like this, it is likely because they need a better flow of cash not to go under. If they go under, no one's complaints will make a difference. Besides from a foolish promotion, which left people uncertain as to what would happen to the usual approach, it is quite understandable if RS cannot rely on buyers who already own Reason and once in a while buy a RE or an upgrade every third year. Basically, RS is just fishing for an unknown amount of people who may appreciate cloud services. If they just had done their best to assure that this won't change a dime for traditional users, they may have avoided this rage. I mean, how many of you would be offended, if they had said "Hey, don't worry fans, everything will be as you know it, but we'd like to get hold of some stray cats out there". Would hardly be an offence to anyone, would it? However, if they actually had made any sign that future updates/versions will be subscription and online activation only, the shared rage would make more sense. Right now, it seems to be driven by paranoia. Chill, man.

plaamook

28 Jan 2021

Sorry, can someone clarify this?
They just deleted Intro/Lite licenses that people paid for?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

plaamook wrote:
28 Jan 2021
uhm, no? why would you think so? :o
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

chimp_spanner

28 Jan 2021

plaamook wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Probably best to get a direct response but my understanding is that they're no longer available for new users. If you already have an existing license, you will still have access to it in your account (same for me as an 11 Suite user). But someone correct me if that's wrong!

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

Correct, all your licenses are still in your account.

Removing Dongle activation hints at the future, though. And save those installers some place safe.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Shadoww

28 Jan 2021

arqui wrote:
28 Jan 2021
selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I say let the market decide. I'm not subscribing myself, but not because I'm on some crusade or anything - it's because it's not for me!
The market will "speak" no matter if a few folks boycott or not. The REAL time to not subscribe is when there is no other option. I'll happily move over to Logic if that day comes, but until then I want Reason Studios to make enough $$$ to stay in business so I can keep using it!!!
without neglecting all the content of this post, which is actually very interesting, this is the wisest and most reasonable thing that I read
Well, if it’s to be reduced to “let the market decide” then we should all really give up now and go learn Ableton....they’re the winners in the market now, right?

certifiedbeatz

28 Jan 2021

Well before we hit page 100 at least we still have what we paid for maybe in a year we will understand and adapt or just keep reason suite 11 and never fall for the nice new toys.. :)

Noise
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

plaamook wrote:
28 Jan 2021
It's still working. To prove it, I just bought a Intro License for a friend in jjrshop this morning and he used it in his account.. I guess they will sell until no more codes are available.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

plaamook

28 Jan 2021

diminished wrote:
28 Jan 2021
plaamook wrote:
28 Jan 2021
uhm, no? why would you think so? :o

"Back in September a newb came on here asking to buy a copy of Intro. I gave him mine for free (no use to me anyway) and he was astonished.
I'd be feeling really sodding guilty right now if I'd taken any money off him for it."

...for example. Didn't make sense that they would delete anything but that's how I was reading that and another post about it.
It's just that I talked a friend back into Reqson and think he went for Lite inthe end.
Anyway, thanks. All clear.

Or here.

aftrshok99

28 Jan 2021

Shadoww wrote:
28 Jan 2021
arqui wrote:
28 Jan 2021

Well, if it’s to be reduced to “let the market decide” then we should all really give up now and go learn Ableton....they’re the winners in the market now, right?
Off topic for a sec. but I don't get the love with Ableton, I can't stand it. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it over the years??? It's just not for me I suppose but yes it is popular.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

plaamook wrote:
28 Jan 2021
No, I still have my old licenses, they never remove anything, that's good

lowtom

28 Jan 2021

Far too many people jumped on panic and hysteria bandwagon after they saw "Reason+ = subscription" without reading further about it or waiting for stream to finish and then discuss what we know and what are the facts.

Shouting about doomsday before even confirming any information makes one look stupid in the end.
:reason: :refill: :re:

mravdirato

28 Jan 2021

lowtom wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Far too many people jumped on panic and hysteria bandwagon after they saw "Reason+ = subscription" without reading further about it or waiting for stream to finish and then discuss what we know and what are the facts.

Shouting about doomsday before even confirming any information makes one look stupid in the end.
What a bunch of entitled people in the stream last night. It sucks. It just sucks.

antic604

28 Jan 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I’m just saying that it’s exactly THAT PR policy that you are encouraging right now is what led to such a shitstorm yesterday. Zero transparency and one-sided communication with a slight touch of corporate hypocrisy is simply a BAD practice. It harms company’s image, it makes your audience upset.
Well, firstly I don't really care for "PR policy" - I care for actual intent and actions that follow and as I said I feel they're genuine and come from a good place, although maybe the announcement was clumsy and badly timed. But - and that's my 2nd point - it wasn't at all bad. IMO it is clear what they want to do, how and what are the consequences. I also don't know what kind of transparency and multi-directional communication you expect? It's a business. If you don't like their decision, you vote with your wallet. It's not any different from other DAW devs, plugin devs, general software devs, etc.

So I guess it's a matter of perception and expectations.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

plaamook

28 Jan 2021

Shadoww wrote:
28 Jan 2021

DL'd the demo last night.

I'm not bitter, I just hate this feeling like Reason's always hanging by a thread. Every time theres a tremmor, I look into alternatives. I can't help it. Last time it was BitWIg. Didn't like that much. I likePT but the demo wouldn't work last time I tried it.
I just want stable blank industry standard so I can get used to it and get on with making noise. All this niche stuffs a ball ache at times like this.

Or here.

Catblack

28 Jan 2021

reason_plus_forgot.jpg
reason_plus_forgot.jpg (95.62 KiB) Viewed 3677 times

pongasoft
RE Developer

28 Jan 2021

So it was announced that the Suite is being discontinued. I own Reason 11 Suite. When they release Reason 12 (the Hi Rez edition...), there won't be a Reason 12 Suite. What will happen if I want to upgrade to Reason 12? Will I loose all the devices that were extra in Reason 11 Suite?

oolaa

28 Jan 2021

pongasoft wrote:
28 Jan 2021
So it was announced that the Suite is being discontinued. I own Reason 11 Suite. When they release Reason 12 (the Hi Rez edition...), there won't be a Reason 12 Suite. What will happen if I want to upgrade to Reason 12? Will I loose all the devices that were extra in Reason 11 Suite?
No , all of the extra Suite devices are linked to your account as Rack Extension.
Reason 12, Ableton Live 11 Suite, MPC Beats, Windows 10

tiker01

28 Jan 2021

pongasoft wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Suite was Reason 11+ a bundle of REs which you have needed to download via Authorizer. So they are yours for ever. Nothing lost for owners of Suite like ourselves.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

MaMue

28 Jan 2021

Can't we found a new "reason", like the fans of Manchester United who were so frustrated about the Investors, so they found this new one: "FC United of Manchester"?

• Information