What will high-res Reason include?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Which of those features you think will be in high-res upgrade

High-res assets (bitmaps)
21%
Textured vector graphics
11%
GPU acceleration
19%
Independent GUI scaling (like Bitwig, Live or FL can be 150% when Windows is 200%)
13%
Ability to arrange work areas (sequencer, rack, mixer) whatever we want on 1 screen
6%
Ability to independently scale individual work areas (e.g. sequencer at 150%, rack at 100%)
5%
Up-sized tiny GUI elements (e.g. triangle "buttons" on tracks or devices)
8%
Multi-touch compatibility
3%
Added bar/strip with custom commands for touch operation w/o using menus (copy/paste, undo/redo, etc.)
2%
Ability to scale DPI-unaware plugins (NI, Waves, etc.)
6%
Integration of VST GUIs into the Rack
7%

Total votes: 248
antic604

28 Jan 2021

We all hear about high-res Reason upgrade being worked on and coming soon(ish) but there's a lot of ways it can go. Having seen other DAWs transition into high-res too, I figured I'd make a list of features that are important (to me, at least) and was curious what you guys & girs think it's gonna be in.

I'm not asking for what you WANT, because you could tick all boxes :puf_wink:

I'm asking what you think will ACTUALLY be added based on info we heard & RS's track record with features :?

-----------

Personally, I think "only" high-res bitmaps, GPU acceleration and upscaling DPI-unaware plugins will be in.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

deeplink
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

When it comes to GUI, my top at the moment - as per the poll;
1. Faster/smoother animations of graphic elements
2. Upsizing of tiny arrows and buttons. (Im looking at you Rack Folder, Bypass Switch, Sequence Track Minimizer)
4. SOMEHOW, be able to see my instrument, it's effect chain, it's sequencer data and some output/mixer information on one screen.. at the same time have an area dedicate to listing the other instruments in my session and to be able to click onto one of them and see the same. I know it sounds like a lot to ask but Ableton does this quite well.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Loque

28 Jan 2021

Interesting to see ppl's expectations. Now we should compare it to there whishes :-D
Reason12, Win10

SoundObjects

28 Jan 2021

I know what I would like to have in R12 - but I am not sure I want to expect anything.
You might be all to disappointed but let's see. ;)
The Universe Is Vibrating

antic604

28 Jan 2021

deeplink wrote:
28 Jan 2021
2. Upsizing of tiny arrows and buttons. (Im looking at you Rack Folder, Bypass Switch, Sequence Track Minimizer)
4. SOMEHOW, be able to see my instrument, it's effect chain, it's sequencer data and some output/mixer information on one screen.. at the same time have an area dedicate to listing the other instruments in my session and to be able to click onto one of them and see the same. I know it sounds like a lot to ask but Ableton does this quite well.
Re 3, this would do just fine for me:

Music tech enthusiast.

zoidkirb

28 Jan 2021

Mainly I wanna zoom in and out of the rack the same way I do on the sequencer page (keys g and h)
Sometimes the normal view feels too cramped but more often too distant and fiddly.

deeplink
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
It's a pity that its not completely an option. However still, only having ¹/2 a device visible at one time is not desirable, at least for me. I would love to be able to adjust a filter, change a an effect parameter and adjust a note without draging my view point around or switching screens.

Currently the best way I believe is to have a separate vertical monitor. Which isn't practical from a studio aesthic point of view.

Dare I say, given the horizontal nature of our screens - wouldn't horizontal racks be best?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

turn2on
RE Developer

28 Jan 2021

As minimum, REs must be automatially rebuilded to current source GUI files up to 4k (resolution of devices is currently dropped down). So, 4k ready.
Dream about changes of SDK to start create half-rack devices...
But. Today Reason devices have tendention to very big xUnits devices into the rack with small functional and big panels... in this way, we can never have half-rack devices.

RoryM0

28 Jan 2021

I picked hi-res assets, GPU acceleration, GUI rescaling and up-scaling of tiny GUI elements. I think that's the base that RS are working on and it's the base for what I would want for a graphic refresh. I'd be genuinely surprised to see any of the other options appear. Integration of VST GUIs into the rack?! You must be joking.

antic604

28 Jan 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Integration of VST GUIs into the rack?! You must be joking.
I prefer "dreaming" ;)

Also, it might not be technically possible. I've asked some VST devs around and DAWs have barely any access to the process that displays VST GUIs :(
Music tech enthusiast.

SoundObjects

21 Feb 2021

Are there any other DAW sequencer using GPU acceleration ?

antic604

21 Feb 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Are there any other DAW sequencer using GPU acceleration ?
Studio One and FL definitely do, I think also Live and Cubase, at least partially.
From what I've seen how responsive it is, I'd wager Logic is, too.
Music tech enthusiast.

EnochLight

21 Feb 2021

Two things we alreadyknow is coming that's been confirmed via Mattias very publicly: GPU acceleration and high-res assets (very likely bitmap). Everything else is on the wish list, so if I were to pick something I'd "expect" as a result of the two features we already know is coming, I'm going to vote for "Independent GUI scaling" (though how I think it will be handled differs in what has been mentioned in the poll description).

Personally, I don't think there's a chance in hell that any touch-based stuff will be included at all. I also think that point maintenance releases will probably refine the experience over 1 or 2 versions. Hope I'm wrong that it takes that long, though! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

21 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
...I'm going to vote for "Independent GUI scaling" (though how I think it will be handled differs in what has been mentioned in the poll description).
How do you think it will be handled?
Music tech enthusiast.

SoundObjects

21 Feb 2021

OK - Then I guess something like this first will be on RS ver. 13 or 14 ;)

tronam

21 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
deeplink wrote:
28 Jan 2021

I love that! So simple and logical, and does a better job of supporting the verticality of the mixer channel strips.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Feb 2021

tronam wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I love that! So simple and logical, and does a better job of supporting the verticality of the mixer channel strips.
What's the use of the verticality? Who will use all the strip knobs at the same time? With channel strips, I prefer horizontal multiplicity.
But anyway I have them all Mixer/Rack/Sequencer on separate displays.

antic604

21 Feb 2021

orthodox wrote:
21 Feb 2021
What's the use of the verticality? Who will use all the strip knobs at the same time? With channel strips, I prefer horizontal multiplicity.
I do. When I'm working on given track I adjust most of the channel strip stuff - insert macros, sends, filters, eq, compressor, etc. per track - so the less I need to scroll the better. Also, it's a much better use of screen real-estate when using a single screen / laptop.

Lastly, why are you against it if it doesn't concern you? :thumbs_down:
Music tech enthusiast.

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Because I felt the implementation of excess features would steal the time and resources.

guitfnky

21 Feb 2021

what’s the use of verticality in the mixer? needless scrolling is a pain in the ass.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

21 Feb 2021

tronam wrote:
21 Feb 2021
orthodox wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I agree with orthodox, I totally don't see the point or need for anything like that, if I'm working on the mixer I don't need to see the rack.

I would rather they fixed the bugs and fully implemented vst support, the daw looks fine now make it functional with support for the latest standards, fix the bugs and work on improving performance.

Concentrate on Reason as a standalone DAW - it's not difficult to make it better.
Last edited by Billy+ on 21 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.

antic604

21 Feb 2021

orthodox wrote:
21 Feb 2021
antic604 wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Because I felt the implementation of excess features would steal the time and resources.
You mean like ability to have different work spaces (sequencer, mixer & rack) on separate screens? Or is this one Ok, because it's already there? Or that because YOU're using it?
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

21 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
...now make it functional...
It makes it much more functional for me. Now what? Or is it only your requests that matter?
Music tech enthusiast.

guitfnky

21 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
tronam wrote:
21 Feb 2021
orthodox wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I agree with orthodox, I totally don't see the point or need for anything like that, if I'm working on the mixer I don't need to see the rack.

I would rather they fixed the bugs and fully implemented vst support, the daw looks fine now make it functional with support for the latest standards, fix the bugs and work on improving performance.

Concentrate on Reason as a standalone DAW - it's not difficult to make it better.
giving better layout options for the wide variety of user workflows falls squarely under concentrating on the standalone DAW experience.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information