[RESOLVED] Reason+ leaves out 3rd party REs and ReFills

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

As I understand it, Reason+ users won't get access to 3rd party REs, just to Reason Studios' ones. They told in the latest livestream that they were still considering it. That's fair enough, because they would need to make variable subscription pricing to earn on RE lease and to pay proceeds to the developers. I can understand it's their (RS) business after all, but doesn't it leave 3rd party REs completely overboard for the Reason+ users? They can still buy and use VSTs, but can't even try any non-RS RE.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

They always can try 3rd party RE.

How do you think a 3rd party RE dev should be realized?
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

You can buy them, and from the stream they are thinking about trying to use them maybe in the content packs possibly in the future, but I'm guessing the terms won't be that favourable to the developers hence PX7 and A-List disappearing.

But you can buy them.....

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

Developers probably ended the conversation something along the lines, Spotify artist get paid more :lol:

faun2500

27 Jan 2021

I thought people would just buy them as normal, nothing to do with subscription.
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

DaveyG

27 Jan 2021

faun2500 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I thought people would just buy them as normal, nothing to do with subscription.
I can't see many new users taking out a subscription then buying 3rd Party RE's outright.
That's a bit like buying new wheels for a car you are renting.
I think 3rd Party RE's just got relegated unless there is a way to rent them too.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

orthodox wrote:
27 Jan 2021
As I understand it, Reason+ users won't get access to 3rd party REs, just to Reason Studios' ones. They told in the latest livestream that they were still considering it. That's fair enough, because they would need to make variable subscription pricing to earn on RE lease and to pay proceeds to the developers. I can understand it's their (RS) business after all, but doesn't it leave 3rd party REs completely overboard for the Reason+ users? They can still buy and use VSTs, but can't even try any non-RS RE.
This is not correct. R+ users will still have access to 3rd Party RE's and will be able to trial them; the distinction at this time is that R+ will not include any 3rd Party RE's as standard.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Developers probably ended the conversation something along the lines, Spotify artist get paid more :lol:
Nothing has changed with regards to the RE pricing schedule.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
faun2500 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I can't see many new users taking out a subscription then buying 3rd Party RE's outright.
I think 3rd Party RE's just got relegated unless there is a way to rent them too.
You still own your perpetual licenses - you are renting access to all the Props RE's and all the soundpacks... which are f***ing excellent, if you give them a listen :D

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

Have you been contacted about the possibility of including your RE's as part of the + subscription service?

MannequinRaces

27 Jan 2021

DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
faun2500 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
You can already rent 3rd party REs... ... I don’t think that’s changing. Is it? You can’t rent them a la carte after the initial trial runs out but you can still rent them.

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

Thanks to all for clarifying that matter for me.

I would prefer if they allowed subscription users to pick what they wanted from the shop, so that the RE would be available on subscription terms to them (but not to regular Reason users). The optional packs they suggested is a bit unfair, not every RE would get a chance to be included.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

orthodox wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Thanks to all for clarifying that matter for me.

I would prefer if they allowed subscription users to pick what they wanted from the shop, so that the RE would be available on subscription terms to them (but not to regular Reason users). The optional packs they suggested is a bit unfair, not every RE would get a chance to be included.
That's Reason+, it's not fair but they don't care it's all about the new users :thumbup:

Aquila

27 Jan 2021

Fingers crossed that RS will be approaching devs to discuss and/or negotiate R+ distribution. Time will tell...

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
That's Reason+, it's not fair but they don't care it's all about the new users :thumbup:
God forbid me touching the New Users :) I'm talking from developer's perspective, what's not fair with regard to a part of the developers.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Have you been contacted about the possibility of including your RE's as part of the + subscription service?
I've been told that it's being looked into, and ideas are being analysed.

I don't doubt their commitment to the platform, though, particularly given that VST's have been removed from the shop, which was a particularly mixed message, I thought.
Last edited by Enlightenspeed on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

orthodox wrote:
27 Jan 2021
The optional packs they suggested is a bit unfair, not every RE would get a chance to be included.
It really depends on how they want to move forward with this, but there are certainly designs that could make this worthwhile, and allow developers to make RE specific content. I see this as one of the things they need to sort sooner rather than later, as well as subscription for 3rd Party RE's, or perhaps some kind of rent-to-own mish-mash thing - I can't comment on what is likely to be best without seeing numbers.

antic604

28 Jan 2021

I find 2 things concerning with regards to 3rd party REs:
- link to the shop is now difficult to find on their website - it's only at the very bottom
- they've still not decided if 3rd party REs will be included in "+", which means I should refrain from buying them (like I did for RS own devices) just in case I might decide one day to get "+" and they will be there for "free"

Luckily those are easy to fix - just bring back the "Shop" link up top & make up your mind about 3rd party REs in "+" :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

deeplink
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

Beside the benefit for RE Devs to get a slice of the pie, I think the added benefit would be to the Reason+ Users - who would be able to seamlessly collaborate a lot easier with other people across the world. That would be something quite special and not seen before in the industry
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

nickb523
RE Developer

28 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I find 2 things concerning with regards to 3rd party REs:
- link to the shop is now difficult to find on their website - it's only at the very bottom
- they've still not decided if 3rd party REs will be included in "+", which means I should refrain from buying them (like I did for RS own devices) just in case I might decide one day to get "+" and they will be there for "free"

Luckily those are easy to fix - just bring back the "Shop" link up top & make up your mind about 3rd party REs in "+" :)
I just don't get it. I mean, how long are they going to leave the site like that? A few days, weeks, months? - Anyone with RE or ReFill releases queued up would be crazy to release them at the moment. The main site doesn't mention third party products AT ALL in any of the marketing, not even a side note.

All my current projects have ceased development until we can better see what is going on here and I imagine I'm not the only one.

xylyx

28 Jan 2021

Okay, for some reason I thought that Reason+ meant access to all the REs as part of the package - I thought it was poor value for money on that basis, so the value is even worse now, from my point of view.

I saw a bit of the Livestream but had to turn it off when that horrible percussive sound was dropped on top of the pad and lead.

Yonatan

28 Jan 2021

xylyx wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Okay, for some reason I thought that Reason+ meant access to all the REs as part of the package - I thought it was poor value for money on that basis, so the value is even worse now, from my point of view.
I think that it would have been enough if RS just kept working on next upgrade and their new devices, and when time for the new version they could offer an "rent-to-own" of the DAW at different portions. That way, they could achieve the lower entry level if that is their reason for it. They have already got a rent-to-own of many RE, just make same with the DAW. They also already had a subscription service on the RE:s which makes a lot more sense, as you cannot use RE without the Reason DAW. And all the soundpacks every week? Why on earth. Who can have the time to browse through that to make any use of the R+ service? Soundpacks could be a community thing, a section of the website where both pros and other users can share and download combi patches for all to get inspired and inspire what you can do with Reason rack. Make a new expanded combinator device and keep people creative like never before, sharing their patches.

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

It's official :clap:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -the-Shop-
IMG_2459.PNG
IMG_2459.PNG (190.13 KiB) Viewed 3590 times

guitfnky

28 Jan 2021

good god. how can anyone still suggest this rollout is anything but a train wreck?

other users have pointed out this could/should have waited until they could roll it out in tandem with v12, later this year. they’re already aware of the problem and working on it—so why the f%#* would they bother releasing it without getting that MAJOR piece sorted out first?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Let's face it look how long we've been waiting for vst2 midi devices to work.

• Information