Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
368
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
48
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
39
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
10
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
32
6%
 
Total votes: 497
User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 511
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 27 Jan 2021

eh people: do not go! f!ck! do not go. reason is reason. :(

am, just tell me - is this a new version of reason? - like v12? i am a bit confused. sorry. my pardon.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro x64 | Propellerhead Reason 10 | Reason+ Subscription

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Neo wrote:
27 Jan 2021


https://www.reasonstudios.com/plus/subscriber/

Looks like my automatic trial~ has already started.

Reason+

Your trial ends on 2021-02-26
Make sure to update your billing info to not lose access!
Will change to Reason+ Annual Subscription ($99.50USD/$130AUD)/year) on 2021-02-26
Pay monthly ($19.99/month) instead?
Hopefully this is a bug and you wont get charged automatically :exclamation: :!:
Hi everyone!! James here from Reason Studios. I am the PM on the Reason+ project. I'll introduce myself properly here later once I catch up :)

But there is no bug, you will of course not be charged unless you actively add your credit card details before the trial ends. It says "Make sure to update your billing info to not lose access!".

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I hope ReasonStudios goes all the way through this thread and answers the question we all have.
👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
Hey! I'm James. I'm the PM (together with Mattias) on the Reason+ project. I'll be answering everything for sure, but it may take me some time to catch up :)

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2448
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 27 Jan 2021

Somebody got a lot of splainin' to do
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9257
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

aixxo wrote:
27 Jan 2021
That Reason+ Thing feels awkward. I just upgraded from Lite to Suite after struggeling with myself and now it feels somewhat the wrong thing to do.
Feels not that I invested in the future....
I can understand, that there is a bit fear around. Also that 11 was mainly for other DAW users felt a bit "huhh?"...

Matthias stated in the blog, that Reason licenses will continue to work in future, so your invest is safe for now.

What comes in future, if only R+ users get Reason updates, i think we will see in future... Especially if another iOS update comes and no updates for older versions are available anymore...If that really happens, it will be kick (not a punch) in your face and all your RE you have bought...Who knows what the future brings...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2780
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hi everyone!! James here from Reason Studios. I am the PM on the Reason+ project. I'll introduce myself properly here later once I catch up :)

But there is no bug, you will of course not be charged unless you actively add your credit card details before the trial ends. It says "Make sure to update your billing info to not lose access!".
:clap:
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 331
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 27 Jan 2021

Software subscriptions are only good for the developers, the customers end up paying hefty prices only to end up with absolutely nothing. I mean... I think I paid around E 299 for Reason back in the day (E 305, I looked if up, pretty cool!), then I upgraded to Reason 5 for free, went to 6 for E 150 and went to Reason 10 (including 11) for E 129.

So: 305 + 150 + 129 = E 584,- total. Been using Reason for 10+ years. However... E 584 would only get you 29 months worth of subscription, so: almost 2,5 years. And you'd end up with audio material which you can no longer edit or even work with because when the subscription runs out you also lost access to the software.

It's a real shame to see how the Props ended up :(

No sneer, no disrespect and no spamming intended, but in all honesty I am happy that I (re)discovered Maschine + Komplete when it turned out that Reason 11 had dropped ReWire, especially because I don't see much future for Reason this way.
--- :reason:
Using the 'Power' Trio: Ableton Live (+ Push), Reason Rack Plugin and Maschine (+ the ultimate Komplete).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
So I should have not brought anything for the last few years and got it all for £20 a month, I think I will wait till you fix vst midi and pay my £20 then cancel!

Q1) how do I get updates without paying £20 a month?

I've been using Reason since V1 and this is my reward.... rewards I can't use and a £20 a month bill for products I've already paid for?
I might be misunderstanding your point, but you can still pay for new versions as normal if you prefer (thank god).

but it does raise a good question about what happens if you already have 11, then subscribe for a month to get some sound packs...what happens when you unsubscribe? I assume you get to keep your normal v11 license, but what about these sound packs? are they putting some kind of controls on these (presumably) Refills?
Hi there! James here from Reason Studios (I'll introduce myself in a new thread properly later).

So, no. Every pack you install you can keep on disk even if you cancel your Reason+ subscription. If you have the RE licenses owned for those patches, you are of course free to use them!

When you unsubscribe, you lose access to all the REs you got via the subscription, but everything you own, you still own!

Ermitage
Posts: 91
Joined: 21 Apr 2018

Post 27 Jan 2021

Steedus wrote:
27 Jan 2021
To all those asking what happens when you cancel ... it’s a subscription service like any other, you stop the subscription and you lose access to the content. It can’t be simpler. If you had a license before the subscription, why would that now disappear?

Sorry but this thread is just getting painful, first getting mad at strictly speculated features, now getting mad at a purely optional branch of the service which from what I’ve read is expected to behave like almost any other subscription service ie see above.
For now. The question is if it will remain optional. If it is not profitable compared to the new model then there's a good chance it'll be removed, I'd imagine.

And you don't need to be great at math to see which option has the highest potential return, so they have an incentive to make the subscription model a more attraction option. That could mean a continued focus on creating REs rather than tending to the core product.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4329
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Jan 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Just found this whilst snooping around the trial:
Good find! This doesn't seem all that interesting if I'm being honest
Just what I was thinking. Nearly 19 pages on a forum later with this speculation and that speculation and all's it is is a subscription model (which I'm not against as long as they don't take away the usual upgrade method) just so you can access more instruments, more sounds. WHY WHY WHY do we need more dounds, more instruments? Not interested in subscribing. It's like giving a very overweight kid free access to the sweet shop when really, learning to eat the right sweets at the right time in moderation would be better. Lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 12.2 / Cockos Reaper 6.35 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 644
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.

The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Oh wow that sounds harsh.

I jokingly mentioned that I wanted to set up a website that provides direct links to the actual versions...now I'm properly tempted to do it, and include REs.

DaveyG
Posts: 1189
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hey! I'm James. I'm the PM (together with Mattias) on the Reason+ project. I'll be answering everything for sure, but it may take me some time to catch up :)
We've smoked one of the buggers out! Quick Billy Joe. Fetch me mah pitchfork! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3836
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Hey! I'm James. I'm the PM (together with Mattias) on the Reason+ project. I'll be answering everything for sure, but it may take me some time to catch up :)
awesome, appreciate that. please make sure to include the other thread too. this post from a prominent (and IMO important) dev is particularly concerning:
buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.

The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Unless the Reason+ Companion app somehow highlights and/or lets you browse 3rd party products, the shop will probably be all tumbleweeds from now on...

And who will want to buy fixed RE licenses when they're subscribing to the host DAW?
Maybe this will cause a slight increase in RE subscriptions (if they promote them in any way, that is), but that won't provide nearly enough income to recoup the investment of developing new REs.
And when everyone has access to every Reason Studios RE and ReFill from the outset, they're not likely to buy a competing third party RE.

(Mind you, this development was not communicated in advance to any RE developer before today as far as I'm aware.)

Well, it was fun while it lasted! :?
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

nbot
Posts: 38
Joined: 27 Sep 2017

Post 27 Jan 2021

I wish Props spent the same amount of time and resources to actually improve Reason instead of anything EXCEPT Reason (subscription system, time checks, etc)

User avatar
Kilsane
Posts: 184
Joined: 15 Sep 2016
Location: Villeneuve saint Georges - France

Post 27 Jan 2021

I don't really need the subscription right now, I'll save my first free subscription month for later (probably for when Reason "12" comes out, while I wait to be able to pay me the license).
Although I find the price too expensive, it remains reasonable

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2780
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hi there! James here from Reason Studios (I'll introduce myself in a new thread properly later).

So, no. Every pack you install you can keep on disk even if you cancel your Reason+ subscription. If you have the RE licenses owned for those patches, you are of course free to use them!

When you unsubscribe, you lose access to all the REs you got via the subscription, but everything you own, you still own!
When will we get fully supported vst2 midi, that's all I've wanted since Reason 9.5?

Is it even on the list of todos
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
WillyOD
Posts: 280
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: Left of stardust

Post 27 Jan 2021

Because it seems to be the only way to keep up with the latest Reason version and other related stuff in the future?

As far as I know only those who pay 20€ month will get what I've paid (upgrades from all the way from R5 that I've paid for) as of now, the latest Reason version and whatever the future content will be.

So as a paying customer for years I feel shafted since anyone can now get what I've paid thousands of euros for 20€/month (not bitter, cool for new users).

But actually because I'm using Reason so little these days I might as well pay them 0,5€ for every time I start Reason, that would be cheaper for me monthly.

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
why would you want your money back? you’ve got all that stuff forever. if you paid for a subscription it would cost you $240 a year and if you canceled, you’d lose it.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

flexluthor
Posts: 43
Joined: 23 Dec 2016

Post 27 Jan 2021

Screwing their 3rd party devs and their customers in one shot. Awesome job reason studios. I’m out. Accounts going up for sale. I’m not subscribing to ProAudio software. You aren’t Adobe. You don’t have a monopoly and locked in customers. I’m not paying a subscription to get up to date dpi support and m1 support.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9257
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021
... It's like giving a very overweight kid free access to the sweet shop when really, learning to eat the right sweets at the right time in moderation would be better. Lol!
I see it a bit different. I started making music with samples, continued with mixing loops. My first tries on synths just made "bleep-bleep" for quite a long time and i was happy to change the cut-off of a LPF.

Today, i would recommend a different route, like learn the freaking synth, learn to mix, learn that sh!t, learn that crap, ... but tbh, it would suck as hell and be completely no fun. You would end up with bleep-bleep and a big bunch of crappy music and leave frustrated. So (IMOH!) its better to start with good samples, loops, great patches, template songs and support to get started.

Later, if you get more into art, you leave those things behind you.

If you get into pro, you probably still use those things, because it lets you finish things fast. Load a pop-template, some pop-loops, some vocals and you can create your boy-band and get rich :thumbup:
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

Rackman
Posts: 110
Joined: 28 Dec 2019

Post 27 Jan 2021

What a dick move. One more release then only subscriptions. If anyone thinks that isn't the game, you are deluded.

User avatar
MattiasHG
Reason Studios
Posts: 421
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hi there! James here from Reason Studios (I'll introduce myself in a new thread properly later).

So, no. Every pack you install you can keep on disk even if you cancel your Reason+ subscription. If you have the RE licenses owned for those patches, you are of course free to use them!

When you unsubscribe, you lose access to all the REs you got via the subscription, but everything you own, you still own!
When will we get fully supported vst2 midi, that's all I've wanted since Reason 9.5?

Is it even on the list of todos
It's definitely on the list of todos, but I can't say when. Got a lot of stuff lined up for Reason!

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

Yonatan wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Ok, so hopefully some new users might jump on to Reason bandwagon. But for those who bought 11 suite, not much to hurray over. But will see what that app may bring, if only soundpacks or something other. Sounds are everywhere nowadays, so not enough for me to jump in. But who knows next time around when next upgrade comes out, but if that is after the 50% deal expires, it will be a hard choice (or not). Will check out the livestream to get better grip of the plans ahead.
As Mattias has said, this isn't just sounds! We think the Sound Packs are a great product and a lot of fun to play with. But you also get every RE we've ever made, and will ever make. Historically, that's been at least a handful a year. You'll also get every update to Reason we ever make, including major versions.

By actively investing in Reason, you also help build a more sustainable and predictable revenue stream for Reason Studios which means we can invest more in product development and features that you are all looking for. We hope we can convince you to join us :) If not, you can of course continue to use Reason and buy perpetual upgrades as you always have.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3836
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

WillyOD wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Because it seems to be the only way to keep up with the latest Reason version and other related stuff in the future?

As far as I know only those who pay 20€ month will get what I've paid (upgrades from all the way from R5 that I've paid for) as of now, the latest Reason version and whatever the future content will be.

So as a paying customer for years I feel shafted since anyone can now get what I've paid thousands of euros for 20€/month (not bitter, cool for new users).

But actually because I'm using Reason so little these days I might as well pay them 0,5€ for every time I start Reason, that would be cheaper for me monthly.

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
why would you want your money back? you’ve got all that stuff forever. if you paid for a subscription it would cost you $240 a year and if you canceled, you’d lose it.
yeah, but those people paying $20 a month don’t get to keep it. they lose if they stop paying. you get to keep it forever.

but i guess if you don’t use it much to begin with, I can understand the frustration.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 644
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hey! I'm James. I'm the PM (together with Mattias) on the Reason+ project. I'll be answering everything for sure, but it may take me some time to catch up :)
There's a post by a respected Rack Extension developer expressing concern that the new website layout makes it virtually impossible for users to find new Rack Extensions.

Can this please be addressed?

User avatar
Ottostrom
Posts: 549
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 27 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Just what I was thinking. Nearly 19 pages on a forum later with this speculation and that speculation and all's it is is a subscription model (which I'm not against as long as they don't take away the usual upgrade method) just so you can access more instruments, more sounds. WHY WHY WHY do we need more dounds, more instruments? Not interested in subscribing. It's like giving a very overweight kid free access to the sweet shop when really, learning to eat the right sweets at the right time in moderation would be better. Lol!
Well said! Getting access to more sounds and more devices isn't the most important thing when making music. Sure, a cool patch can inspire a song but can you just keep chucking more sounds on it until it's a full song?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: dasmode, Jackjackdaw, orthodox, Pepin, PhillipOrdonez, riemac, tc13, VariableX and 12 guests