Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Billy+

27 Jan 2021

What happens when you cancel anytime?

Do you still get to use Reason and the RE's or do you have to buy a full license and buy the RE's

ulaw

27 Jan 2021

So... they just relabeled the style refills added them to a library, maybe added some templates, removed "suite" to replace it with the subscription model for access to all of "Reason Studios" products? Hiding the shop is shady as hell, but I'm optimistic that they're just playing catch up with korg/roland as a business in the market of exporting 'synths'.

Props evolution into Reason Studios is beginning to feel like a bodega; bunch of random crap up front, drugs (aka real licenses) in back.
I guess I'm having less buyers remorse over my holiday sale suite purchase now anyway!

Marc64

27 Jan 2021

I am looking forward to the update reason will have later this year :)
I might try the subscription plan and try out some gears even though I have enought :)

Doing a track with a synth or fx I don't have I have to bounce it before stoping the subscription :)

Jagwah

27 Jan 2021

visheshl wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Jagwah wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I don't see why you or anyone needs to leave over this, I am constantly disappointed how Props always seem to work on things besides the damn sequencer, but will this really affect us users that bad, wouldn't upgrades still work the same, therefore things won't change that much for us? We don't have to do the sub model, that's just for people who want that right?
nope, its a move to subscription based model, they are forced to keep the regular license alive for sometine and it will be phased out eventually. then it will be subscription only...this is how i see it...i may be wrong... anyway...till that time i might continue to use it...
Yeah someone else mentioned the exact same thing :(

Props should do a mainstream media trick and axe the video because of all the negativity on it.

Neo

27 Jan 2021

craste wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Blog article:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason

"If subscription's not your bag, <yeah that would be me aswell> you'll still be able to buy a traditional Reason license. In fact, we're currently working hard on the next big Reason upgrade for release later this year which will include the mythical hi-res update and many other really exciting features. We'll have more to share about this soon!"
This is Good - everybody can calm down now!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/plus/subscriber/

Looks like my automatic trial~ has already started.

Reason+

Your trial ends on 2021-02-26
Make sure to update your billing info to not lose access!
Will change to Reason+ Annual Subscription ($99.50USD/$130AUD)/year) on 2021-02-26
Pay monthly ($19.99/month) instead?
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

deeplink
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

Taken from the blog; https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/intr ... eason-plus

"For us, the subscription means we’ll have to earn your loyalty every week and every month. You’ll get cool stuff faster. As we develop Reason, REs, content, we’ll just release it. If you need to take a break for vacation or whatever, then stop subscribing for a month or two. Collaborating? Your partner(s) can sign up for a month or two. Reason+ users know they’ll always have full access to our latest and greatest."

"So, what else are we up to?
There is a new synthesizer Rack Extension coming in March. You’ll be able to purchase it separately, and it's of course also included as part of Reason+.
Yes, we are working on a major update to Reason to come later this year that will include high resolution graphics, workflow enhancements and some new devices, too. We’ll price it similarly to how we have before for the perpetual license owners. Reason+ subscribers gain immediate access upon release."

Maybe its not the end of the world
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

I hope ReasonStudios goes all the way through this thread and answers the question we all have.

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

Another Synth RE!!!!!
I've got tears of joy streaming down my face!!!!!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

dhruan

27 Jan 2021

The site changes (temporary, I would assume) are a bit dark UX pattern'ish.... But yeah, I digress...

My 2¢ on this: As long as we get to buy the core updates and REs as usual, I am good.

This is actually a very smart move from RS POV, continuous flow of revenue is always good and having the barrier to access at 20€ is always better compared to the 399€ as a single investment (this especially when it comes to new customers).

If they can, through this, grow their user/install base and have people invest into the platform (aka. make music with Reason)… well, it is kind of a no-brainer recipe for driving longer term profit & revenue generation which is excellent even for Reasonheads who are not subscribers.

This will also enable more seamless future collaboration/projects between subscribes (when it comes to Reason+ and REs, that is, no more missing ones…).
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Faastwalker

27 Jan 2021

deeplink wrote:
27 Jan 2021
"So, what else are we up to?
There is a new synthesizer Rack Extension coming in March. You’ll be able to purchase it separately, and it's of course also included as part of Reason+.
Yes, we are working on a major update to Reason to come later this year that will include high resolution graphics, workflow enhancements and some new devices, too. We’ll price it similarly to how we have before for the perpetual license owners. Reason+ subscribers gain immediate access upon release."
That part sounds good to me :thumbs_up:

buddard
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.

The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Unless the Reason+ Companion app somehow highlights and/or lets you browse 3rd party products, the shop will probably be all tumbleweeds from now on...

And who will want to buy fixed RE licenses when they're subscribing to the host DAW?
Maybe this will cause a slight increase in RE subscriptions (if they promote them in any way, that is), but that won't provide nearly enough income to recoup the investment of developing new REs.
And when everyone has access to every Reason Studios RE and ReFill from the outset, they're not likely to buy a competing third party RE.

(Mind you, this development was not communicated in advance to any RE developer before today as far as I'm aware.)

Well, it was fun while it lasted! :?

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

plaamook wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Another Synth RE!!!!!
I've got tears of joy streaming down my face!!!!!
It's a PX7 replacement, I've had PX7 for years
Last edited by Billy+ on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Neo wrote:
27 Jan 2021
craste wrote:
27 Jan 2021

This is Good - everybody can calm down now!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/plus/subscriber/

Looks like my automatic trial~ has already started.

Reason+

Your trial ends on 2021-02-26
Make sure to update your billing info to not lose access!
Will change to Reason+ Annual Subscription ($99.50USD/$130AUD)/year) on 2021-02-26
Pay monthly ($19.99/month) instead?
Hopefully this is a bug and you wont get charged automatically :exclamation: :!:
Reason12, Win10

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

To all those asking what happens when you cancel ... it’s a subscription service like any other, you stop the subscription and you lose access to the content. It can’t be simpler. If you had a license before the subscription, why would that now disappear?

Sorry but this thread is just getting painful, first getting mad at strictly speculated features, now getting mad at a purely optional branch of the service which from what I’ve read is expected to behave like almost any other subscription service ie see above.
Last edited by Steedus on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

dhruan wrote:
27 Jan 2021
My 2¢ on this: As long as we get to buy the core updates and REs as usual, I am good.
Depends on the pricing policy...If they go the PA route, we will see each RE from them for 399,- and Reason core for 999,-.
Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021

(Mind you, this development was not communicated in advance to any RE developer before today as far as I'm aware.)
Pity, because it seems like the YouTube prawns were in on it.. but no RE developers? ouch.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I hope ReasonStudios goes all the way through this thread and answers the question we all have.
👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

27 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.

The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Unless the Reason+ Companion app somehow highlights and/or lets you browse 3rd party products, the shop will probably be all tumbleweeds from now on...

And who will want to buy fixed RE licenses when they're subscribing to the host DAW?
Maybe this will cause a slight increase in RE subscriptions (if they promote them in any way, that is), but that won't provide nearly enough income to recoup the investment of developing new REs.
And when everyone has access to every Reason Studios RE and ReFill from the outset, they're not likely to buy a competing third party RE.

Sadly, i thought its a bad move for the 3rd party devs too. I hope they say something about this in the video. Maybe they plan to expand the subscription of 3rd parties into R+.
Reason12, Win10

froggo_gfx

27 Jan 2021

Also I don’t understand to whom this service is being marketed for. Clearly Reason struggles to reach new audiences, but are RRP and now this subscription enough to compete with other platforms? With absolutely zero new content?

Quirkiness and author’s touch on familiar devices were always strongest side of Reason at least for me (a user since v5). ReasonStudios have amazing concepts (Players, visual cable patching) and technologies (Physical modelling engines, Pitch Adjustment) on their hands, why not bet on them and make at least couple new devices before announcing subscription service? Why not present some transparent development goals at least, to show why somebody who already seen all of what’s included in subscription should become a subscriber.

Yonatan

27 Jan 2021

Ok, so hopefully some new users might jump on to Reason bandwagon. But for those who bought 11 suite, not much to hurray over. But will see what that app may bring, if only soundpacks or something other. Sounds are everywhere nowadays, so not enough for me to jump in. But who knows next time around when next upgrade comes out, but if that is after the 50% deal expires, it will be a hard choice (or not). Will check out the livestream to get better grip of the plans ahead.

Aquila

27 Jan 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jan 2021
..... just noticed as well that on the Reason Studios web site they have removed the link to the shop from the top of the page. It's been moved way, way down to a link right at the bottom of the home page. That's a bit naughty.
Tempted to set up a website like ijustwanttobuyreason.com with direct links to the full versions :D

aixxo

27 Jan 2021

That Reason+ Thing feels awkward. I just upgraded from Lite to Suite after struggeling with myself and now it feels somewhat the wrong thing to do.
Feels not that I invested in the future....

WillyOD

27 Jan 2021

Do I get my money back for just upgrading to R11 Suite?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

WillyOD wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Do I get my money back for just upgrading to R11 Suite?
why would you want your money back? you’ve got all that stuff forever. if you paid for a subscription it would cost you $240 a year and if you canceled, you’d lose it.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Ottostrom

27 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021

This was something I was thinking about as well and hearing it coming from you does not seem good :S
And they didn't even communicate this change in advance to the RE dev who worked on their latest device? Not cool..

• Information