Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Billy+

27 Jan 2021

So I paid extra for suite, brought Friktion because it was not going to be included paid for a shed load of RS devices and my reward is....

To make things clearer, we've discontinued Reason Suite.

And are going to charge you £20 or £10 if you sign up before April 27!

Correction £120 for %50 discounted 1 year subscription, so I don't even get to pay for it monthly..... :lol:
Last edited by Billy+ on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Ottostrom

27 Jan 2021

craste wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Blog article:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason

"If subscription's not your bag, you'll still be able to buy a traditional Reason license. In fact, we're currently working hard on the next big Reason upgrade for release later this year which will include the mythical hi-res update and many other really exciting features. We'll have more to share about this soon!"
This is Good - everybody can calm down now!
Exactly! I was pretty upset myself until I read the blog post, but now its clear that this is just an option for the people who wants a continually updated Suite version and doesn't have a problem paying for it. It was a great idea to keep releasing the free sound packs as a preview for this cause I've been enjoying the quality of them quite a bit. Especially with patches from the great sound designer Sean Murray

motuscott

27 Jan 2021

There are some users to whom suite was a bargain and who now are very glad they sucked it up and bought it.
Not gonna mention any names...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

plaamook

27 Jan 2021

Wow. I take it back. I might actually be more angry...
If there's no €120 upgrade to R12 (and that shit better be interesting) I'm staying at 11 w all it's problems and saving up for...some other shit. I don't know. Ableton or something.
Hope they clarify this later in the streaming.

So glad I spent the past year buying VST's instead of Re's...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

VIVIsect

27 Jan 2021

Knew the subscription nonsense was coming a long time ago. I have zero interest in it.

Happy that I sold my 11 Suite license last month and managed to break even. Was planning on buying the Intro version of 12 when it was released, but who knows if there'll even be another numbered version? If not, I'll just use my purchased REs with the RRP from 11 Lite in Ableton Live from here on out.

*edit: I see that there will continue to be non-subscription numbered versions. Guess that's a relief.

visheshl

27 Jan 2021

sorry man mattias, i understand that subscription is the way it will go and eventually it will be subscription only... I'll continue to use my reason 11 until i can, after that its goodbye

Faastwalker

27 Jan 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I have already plenty of REs, external synts and soundmaterial. ;)
Yes, it's another move to attract NEW users. Existing users will already have RE's, sound packs etc. And the longer you've been using Reason, likely the more you will have and the less interesting Reason+ will be for you. There is a subscription service discount for existing users. But that's about out lot :clap: Little here for us again.

deeplink
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

Glad I didn't upgrade to Reason Suite. I think this subscription is a better offer.

Either way though, I dont get the "Sound Like You" rehetoric on the back of other artists' sound packs. And I don't need more sounds. I need usability.

RS still needs to stand up to their promise to "not leave the standalone DAW behind" and actually fix the countless bugs and add some actual features.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
bangaio wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I just checked their site too. All I can say is despite getting back on reason after a break as a user since v1 I am out. I love the software but not £20 a month for some sounds. It’s safe to say the company and product I knew is finally gone. Even with 50% in the first year it’s just too much and something I don’t want to pay. I see they are still selling reason standard at £309 though which is tricky to find from their home page which is interesting. I also see rent to own stil exists too.
Sorry if it's unclear from the site, but it's definitely not $20 for some sounds. It's $20 for an always up to date Reason, all Reason Studios devices we've released and will release, and several sound packs per week. Now of course if you already own Reason 11 and a bunch of REs, this is less interesting but I just want to avoid confusion on what's in Reason+ :)

Here's a blog post with some details: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/intr ... eason-plus
And one I wrote with some more Reason focus: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason

Hopefully that answers any questions! But for the avoidance of doubt, you can still buy a "traditional" Reason license and we're working on an upgrade that you'll also be able to upgrade to. That'll all be included in Reason+ too, of course, so it's totally up to you.
can you make the normal license purchase and Shop more visible on the site? I get the desire to get people to look at “the new thing”, but it feels wrong to make it so difficult to even find the other (IMO better) option.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

craste

27 Jan 2021

Everybody stop getting shot! Ha ha

Its business as usual for us licence holders. You don't have to subscribe.

But for Noobs just getting into music production this will be great - getting hundreds of pounds worth of kit to play on for $20 per month is great for some people! This will really fill the Reason Studios pockets and that's great because they can then reinvest in more people and more products! So therefore it will have a nice snowball effect. If they have more people that means more frequent quality fixes/upgrades etc!

A win win for Reason Studios.

If you was just starting out and you was unsure which daw to go for, this is a great way to try Reason and we all know its really fun to use so people will 'stick' with it. its a good way to get 'sticky' customers!

Its a great idea. Now just hurry up and give us the next Reason Update for us the long standing loyal customers!

Jagwah

27 Jan 2021

visheshl wrote:
27 Jan 2021
bye bye reason 👍 its been a good journey. we've been together since rebirth, but this is the end...
I don't see why you or anyone needs to leave over this, I am constantly disappointed how Props always seem to work on things besides the damn sequencer, but will this really affect us users that bad, wouldn't upgrades still work the same, therefore things won't change that much for us? We don't have to do the sub model, that's just for people who want that right?

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
For me the most interesting questions is, where am i after paying the subscriptions for 2 years and want to leave it?
Just like any other sub service. You'd be left with nothing except what you started with.
Well, you had a look at the subscription model from Kilohearts? I think its very generous.
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

27 Jan 2021

..... just noticed as well that on the Reason Studios web site they have removed the link to the shop from the top of the page. It's been moved way, way down to a link right at the bottom of the home page. That's a bit naughty. Initially it now looks like the only way to get Reason is via a Reason+ subscription! Took me a while to find where the shop link was. It's largely in tact .......... with a huge Reason+ banner at the top of the page!! Come on in, it's good in here!! Shrewd buggers :?

zoidkirb

27 Jan 2021

Seems like a fair deal for new users that don't want to pay upfront for everything.

I'd be surprised if literally anyone on this board that already owns Reason and a bunch of RE's would sign up though.

Ottostrom

27 Jan 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jan 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Yes, it's another move to attract NEW users. Existing users will already have RE's, sound packs etc. And the longer you've been using Reason, likely the more you will have and the less interesting Reason+ will be for you. There is a subscription service discount for existing users. But that's about out lot :clap: Little here for us again.
Very true. And they always talk about "Sounds" like that is the only thing which matter when making a song. While in reality its usually the easier and fun part to begin with, and the real work is the arranging, editing and mixing which seem to get no attention whatsoever.

DecafDreams

27 Jan 2021

subvert.jpg
subvert.jpg (184.21 KiB) Viewed 3784 times

motuscott

27 Jan 2021

True, shop navigation to regular nonsubscription Reason sucks.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

lol first month free, the amount I've spent I should get the next 2 years free,

I get pattern mutator,

visheshl

27 Jan 2021

Jagwah wrote:
27 Jan 2021
visheshl wrote:
27 Jan 2021
bye bye reason 👍 its been a good journey. we've been together since rebirth, but this is the end...
I don't see why you or anyone needs to leave over this, I am constantly disappointed how Props always seem to work on things besides the damn sequencer, but will this really affect us users that bad, wouldn't upgrades still work the same, therefore things won't change that much for us? We don't have to do the sub model, that's just for people who want that right?
nope, its a move to subscription based model, they are forced to keep the regular license alive for sometine and it will be phased out eventually. then it will be subscription only...this is how i see it...i may be wrong... anyway...till that time i might continue to use it...

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jan 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I agree. It all depends, what RS will make out of this subscription service to attract ALL users in longterm. Its like Netflix, after a few weeks of hardcore watching yo have seen everything.

Some things i can imagine for future improvements could be additional RE, sound libraries, patch libraries or maybe maybe a online library where can selectively download samples, patches or whatever. Maybe song templates, how-to tutorials or song files, learning videos and so on. Maybe some online mastering, collaborations. Potential everything is possible if you make it along of a central service. Only future will tell...

I mean, for 20 bucks or 200 per year, it must have some good value for the user. For me it currently does not have any big value. I create my own patches (but having the right one within seconds might be tempting though), enough samples, enough devices of all kinds, i can do quite good mixing and mastering so no assistance or tutorials needed...
Reason12, Win10

froggo_gfx

27 Jan 2021

So... basically nothing new for those who already own Reason 11. Wow.

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

might’ve been cool if they’d applied some of the Reason ingenuity to their subscription model and come up with some kind of hybrid rent to own subscription model that allowed you to subscribe as long as you like, but all that money gets applied toward paying down the next version license. once you’ve paid enough for the current full license, your subscription then could keep paying toward the next full license when it’s released. so you don’t have to lose anything if you cancel.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Can i use my Reward points to pay the subscription?
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
:lol:

Faastwalker

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Almost certainly not! Rewards are pretty much good for nothing. I've never felt particularly rewarded.

• Information