Reason stuff you've wondered why then suddenly realised the answer.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

22 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
22 Jan 2021
After moving away from an MS Windows system years ago to a Mac
Apple is the work of Satan.

Billy+

22 Jan 2021

Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Billy wrote:
22 Jan 2021
After moving away from an MS Windows system years ago to a Mac
Don't tell me Microsoft is doing gods work......

Creativemind

22 Jan 2021

That clicking the blue thing only does something if all 3 screens are attached right? mine does nothing I can see with them detached, it only made the track in the sequencer flash, it didn't add a midi clip or anything, can't understand what's supposed to be happening apart from toggling between sequencer or rack selection so to speak?

Aha moments over time for me were, at the beginning say in 2012/2013 when I first got Reason is realising holding shift made the parameters move in smaller increments for finer adjustment, also holding shift to not automatically wire devices up and not necessarily something I stumbled on but when they first added drag 'n' drop when you couldn't drop a midi file onto an already existing track without it creating an ID8 and putting the midi clip on that new track. I hadn't realised till someone on here told me about a year or so ago, this had been added, so being able to drop midi files onto an already existing midi track in the sequencer from the browser and it didn't create that ID8.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

22 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
22 Jan 2021
That clicking the blue thing only does something if all 3 screens are attached right? mine does nothing I can see with them detached, it only made the track in the sequencer flash, it didn't add a midi clip or anything, can't understand what's supposed to be happening apart from toggling between sequencer or rack selection so to speak?
It "arms" your MIDI controller for that device :shock:
This is something,t hat wasnt possible quite a along time in Reason and was super annyoing...
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

22 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
22 Jan 2021
It "arms" your MIDI controller for that device :shock:
This is something,t hat wasnt possible quite a along time in Reason and was super annyoing...
Oh I see. Haha! Good little tip.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

BRIGGS

22 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021

ok :puf_smile:
r11s

arnigretar

24 Jan 2021

Maybe nothing important for someone to learn... but if I remember correctly RV7000 came in v2 or 2.5 and I didn't know until v5 that you could click that arrow to the left to open the "remote programmer". was shocked when I accidentally did that in v5. Also knew limited things about CV and it's capabilities until our friend Peff had video about it on the Reason youtube channel in 2011 (or something like that). So the first 10 years in Reason I was experimenting little w/CV, but for the last 10 years I have been using that heavily and to my advantage.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

EdwardKiy

24 Jan 2021

Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Such an existential bummer for me. I happen to worship Satan and dislike Apple.

Kuranes2021

24 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Such an existential bummer for me. I happen to worship Satan and dislike Apple.
:lol: :thumbs_up:

Well, what I have to tell is not so much my discovery of a hidden feature, it was more of a WTF??? moment I had aeons ago, in my first weeks of using Reason (I guess it was Reason 2.5 then). I remember, it was deep in the night, and in those carefree days when I was too lazy to read the manual and rather turned all possible buttons like a curious monkey and finally pondered my thoughts distracted by something, suddenly there was a deep, bloodcurdling rumble, as if by magic. I had no idea why this monstrous sound was coming out, but I was completely delighted at this unexpected display of pure chaos!

After the little monkey had stared at the screen for a few hours trying to understand how this sound could have been produced, it had its Eureka! moment: The "release" control on Malström was turned to "infinite", and this (and very probably another setting, which I can no longer remember) actually produced that renewed, apparently by magic, sound of that fascinating roar. Although this realization was a bit sobering; a demon-possessed computer making monstrous noises would have been far cooler. :lol:

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2021

I used to wonder what the Reason Sound was but then I figured it out

Loque

24 Jan 2021

I was wondering quite a long time for what the ENVelope thing is good for in The Echo and just realized it. Now i just whish i could have some more control over the tuning.

At the beginning i just thought, that RV7000 was just a reverb. Than suddenly after turning some knobs i noticed, it has a Reverse effect, several tap delays and a Spring Reverb (which was a mysterie for me quite a long time too). Now i just whish i had more (CV) controls for those effects and it would be awsome if the Convolution can be "tuned"...
Reason12, Win10

Nielsen

24 Jan 2021

aeox wrote:
24 Jan 2021
I used to wonder what the Reason Sound was but then I figured it out
The stock device era before audio recording, rack extensions and VST? Good old sound of affordability. :lol:

zoidkirb

24 Jan 2021

I used to wonder why couldn't double clicking reset knobs and sliders to default.
And then I realized CTRL-click did that.
Serves me right for a lifetime of RTFM avoidance.

Mistro17

24 Jan 2021

Thanks for this thread OP! Just learned about the blue tab thingy and my life with Reason just got a whole lot better. Every session I been clicking in the rack with wishful thinking it would trigger going to the controller. Now I am very happy I don't have to drag up the sequencer every time no more LOL :mrgreen:

joeyluck

24 Jan 2021

Mistro17 wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Thanks for this thread OP! Just learned about the blue tab thingy and my life with Reason just got a whole lot better. Every session I been clicking in the rack with wishful thinking it would trigger going to the controller. Now I am very happy I don't have to drag up the sequencer every time no more LOL :mrgreen:
The number of people who didn't know this is a clear indication that the graphic for it should be changed. It should be intuitive and better represent what it does.

VariableX

25 Jan 2021

in the sequencer double clicking a note on the keyboard in edit selects all the notes of that pitch - stumbled on that one and was happy

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2021

I always wondered what the big deal about polyphony was about. Until I discovered Thor, Europa and Grain's 'Voice Key', 'Key' or 'Key in Octave'.

Link any of the above parameters to Pan, or take a step further and link them to Osc Position, Shape, Mod Amnt, LFo rate, Sample position... And you will get huge complex sounds
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Loque

25 Jan 2021

deeplink wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I always wondered what the big deal about polyphony was about. Until I discovered Thor, Europa and Grain's 'Voice Key', 'Key' or 'Key in Octave'.

Link any of the above parameters to Pan, or take a step further and link them to Osc Position, Shape, Mod Amnt, LFo rate, Sample position... And you will get huge complex sounds
Good point. This took me a while too to understand this too and to know the difference between per voice and global modulations. Today i NEED both, and i need a lot of them :-D
Reason12, Win10

LudvigC
Reason Studios

25 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2021

At the beginning i just thought, that RV7000 was just a reverb. Than suddenly after turning some knobs i noticed, it has a Reverse effect, several tap delays and a Spring Reverb (which was a mysterie for me quite a long time too). Now i just whish i had more (CV) controls for those effects and it would be awsome if the Convolution can be "tuned"...
The Size parameter doesn't cut it?

/ lc

Loque

25 Jan 2021

LudvigC wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2021

The Size parameter doesn't cut it?

/ lc
You mean for tuning? Yea, sure. But i was more looking for an auto-tune. I was trying to replicate some sounds from Friktion, since it uses convolution techniques. It sounded quite good, but some notes were clearly out of tune and some were over-resonating. So i tried to tune it via the Size parameter by using the keyboard. The parameter has 48 steps, the keyboard 127, so it is not possible to tune, or at least in a easy way. And sure, it would have been mono only, but it would have been ok for the first step.

i now thought about creating a split octave (each note a tuned convolution setting) and try, if it works in general, but i did not had time for this yet.

tbh, RV7000MKII is not the reight fx for such tasks, but hey, Friktion does not support audio and sample loading ;-)
Reason12, Win10

moggadeet

25 Jan 2021

For me it was realizing that I could mute block segments from the sequencer. I had been drawing empty segments of audio or midi in the sequencer for two years straight, when I saw it in one of the oldest tutorial videos :roll:

ltbrunt00

25 Jan 2021

Holding down CTRL to copy and paste clips while the track was playing. Saw this random guy on youtube doing this and it blew my mind. This was a long time ago but when I came across it in Reason my whole world changed...I now routinely take trips through the 4th dimension.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Discarded

25 Jan 2021

arnigretar wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Also knew limited things about CV and it's capabilities until our friend Peff had video about it on the Reason youtube channel in 2011 (or something like that). So the first 10 years in Reason I was experimenting little w/CV, but for the last 10 years I have been using that heavily and to my advantage.
Do you happen to have a link? I don't want 10 years of not knowing.

ulaw

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021

There is no god... too bad Reason doesn't support BSD or Linux officially.. :(

Loque

27 Jan 2021

ulaw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
22 Jan 2021

There is no god... too bad Reason doesn't support BSD or Linux officially.. :(
Wait for the browser version...
Reason12, Win10

• Information