Audio recording latency

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
insertmesh

22 Jan 2021

Hey there, coming back to reason since roughly 10 years, I´m already havin a lot of fun again (thanks, corona-lockdown).

I even found my old M-Audio Fasttrack audio interface and tried recording some guitar track.
Unfortunately I´m now dealing with some pretty substancial lag.
I tried lowering the asio buffer to 64, but with some fx added (soft tube, scream, compressor), the lag still becomes pretty heavy.

So, now I´m tryin to troubleshoot.

1. The driver for the fasttrack is actually the windows 7 driver and hasn´t been updated since. Was happy to see it still works and since I can select it in Reason, I would thing it works right.
2. The device is around 10 years old, so what do I know if its actually capable of giving me low latency, although the settings in reason suggest it should.
3. Recording with direct monitoring enabled fixes the issue somewhat, but I can´t really jam along without the fX...
4. Midi recording from my m-audio oxygen 49 works just fine.

I´ll give it another go tonight, but if you´re telling me I just need to get a newer audio device, I´m happy to do so.

adfielding

22 Jan 2021

Do you happen to have delay compensation enabled in Reason (check the bottom right corner of the screen)? Older versions of Reason didn't have any kind of plug-in delay compensation, so this might be introducing latency depending on what you're using. For the most part you'll want to leave it on, but when recording stuff you might want to consider turning it off temporarily.

guitfnky

22 Jan 2021

says you’re using a Windows audio driver...is it an ASIO driver? that’s where I’d look first. you always want to be using ASIO in Windows, especially if you’re trying to keep latency low.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

insertmesh

22 Jan 2021

Yeah, I´m using the fasttrack asio driver. I don´t remember, wether the info in reason is trustworthy, with a buffer size of 64 I´m looking at a latency of a couple of ms, which seems good enough.
I don´t remember if I had the plugin-delay compensation on, gotta check.

guitfnky

22 Jan 2021

yeah, I’d agree the next step is to turn off latency compensation. that can definitely cause some weird latency behavior with some plugins. of course if a plug-in itself is causing significant latency, you’ll still have problems. but if that happens, figuring out which plug is causing it would just be a matter of bypassing them all and turning them back on one at a time to see which is the culprit.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information