Reason stuff you've wondered why then suddenly realised the answer.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2021

Well...here's mine. I actually thought this was worth writing about as I've been wondering for ages. I could never work out why some of the notes in the sequencer in edit mode were lighter than others...some red some light brown (or whatever). Seriously...wondered for ages. Just raised the velocity on one of the lighter notes and what do you know. Cool :). One less thing I gotta worry about :).
Any Reason stuff you've wondered why then suddenly realised the answer? :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Loque

20 Jan 2021

I think i needed several years of wondering, why some tracks can be edited in drum mode and some in note mode. Than suddenly i found those little icons and *facepalm*
Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2021

It took me ages to finally work out;

what the Stereo Imager is ACTUALLY doing i.e simply raising or lowering the volume of the side signal
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Jagwah

20 Jan 2021

I took me a little bit too long to work out the drag and drop devices process with its plus sign symbol which would either replace a device or be added underneath it depending on precisely where you dragged it to, I actually complained on this forum that there might be a bug because devices kept disappearing when I was dragging new ones in, embarrassing lol

antic604

20 Jan 2021

I think for me understanding the difference between putting FX after instruments in the rack vs. into the inserts slot was a big "a-ha!" moment, especially in light of mixer routing features - this thread started it :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7504555&p=367511#p367511
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

rgdaniel

20 Jan 2021

That mixer channels are, in essence, combinators, was a bit of an eye opener when that clicked...

groggy1

20 Jan 2021

I didn't understand why "Bounce to REX" on an audio-clip was sometimes grayed-out, and other times available.

Eventually, understood that it's always available if you FIRST double-click on a clip to edit the transient-markers

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2021

I'd like to know why quantize is sometimes greyed out. Either after quantizing or if the note lane is divided up. Guess that'll be my next duh! moment.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Aquila

22 Jan 2021

It took me far too long to realise I could select the midi track for my controller in rack view by clicking on the little blue flag at the top-left of a device

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2021

Aquila wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
It took me far too long to realise I could select the midi track for my controller in rack view by clicking on the little blue flag at the top-left of a device
Yep :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Proboscis

22 Jan 2021

The Pattern Select automation for Dr OctoRex was a "holy Fork !' moment for me.

stuk71

22 Jan 2021

22 Jan 2021
I just found this out last night!

Aaaaah moment indeed

supersplaron

22 Jan 2021

Great stuff in here! Would make for a perfect well to pour new Quick Tip ideas from. :)

Loque

22 Jan 2021

stuk71 wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
22 Jan 2021

Aaaaah moment indeed
The little blue what? :shock:
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2021

stuk71 wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
22 Jan 2021

Aaaaah moment indeed
It's not just Select Track it also Create Track, by clicking it on any device including Instruments, Effects, Utilities and Players you will get a lane created for that device if it does not exist and then gives your Midi controller focus to that device.

adfielding

22 Jan 2021

Being able to automatically re-wire devices by dragging & dropping them while holding down shift is still the biggest workflow saver I've come across in recent years.

Nielsen

22 Jan 2021

I have to think hard because I've been using Reason for almost 20 years. I think most revelations happened more than 10 years ago, but I also remember being puzzled by varying degrees of red colour inside the midi notes.
Loque wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
Click on any instrument in the rack and a blue frame will appear around it. In the top left of this frame there's a grey arrow attached to the frame, and clicking the arrow will select the device for your midi keyboard (right click for more options).

Loque

22 Jan 2021

Nielsen wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
I have to think hard because I've been using Reason for almost 20 years. I think most revelations happened more than 10 years ago, but I also remember being puzzled by varying degrees of red colour inside the midi notes.
22 Jan 2021
Click on any instrument in the rack and a blue frame will appear around it. In the top left of this frame there's a grey arrow attached to the frame, and clicking the arrow will select the device for your midi keyboard (right click for more options).
You guys mean this one here?
littlebluewhat.jpg
littlebluewhat.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

Yea, i overlooked it at start too and it made me so mad, that i always went into the sequencer. I first didnt understood this thing too. And than, if you have a Combinator with synths in it...that was a mystery at beginning.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2021

Here’s the day I discovered the blue arrow.
ScuzzyEye wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2019
Can you select the instrument you want to play by clicking on it in the Rack or do you always have to select it in the Sequencer?
You have to click to the left, over the wooden frame. There's a chevron pointing right. If you click on that, it'll highlight, and that means the instrument now has MIDI focus.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Proboscis

22 Jan 2021

supersplaron wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
Great stuff in here! Would make for a perfect well to pour new Quick Tip ideas from. :)
How about the Reason Team focus on a new Combinator instead, eh ?

Loque

22 Jan 2021

Proboscis wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
supersplaron wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
How about the Reason Team focus on a new Combinator instead, eh ?
If Ryan can prevent new users from frustration experiences within their first minutes, they win new customers. New Customers means more money and that means more features in shorter time.
Reason12, Win10

Proboscis

22 Jan 2021

22 Jan 2021
If Ryan can prevent new users from frustration experiences within their first minutes, they win new customers. New Customers means more money and that means more features in shorter time.
I'm not really into 'remote brand identities' for the Reason Kool-Aid crowd.

Billy+

22 Jan 2021

After moving away from an MS Windows system years ago to a Mac one I had completely forgotten about holding shift while using the mouse scroll wheel to scroll left right across the rack, sequencer & mixer but I soon rediscovered it when faced with a Β£99 price to replace a Mighty Mouse.

joeyluck

22 Jan 2021

22 Jan 2021
Nielsen wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021

littlebluewhat.jpg

Yea, i overlooked it at start too and it made me so mad, that i always went into the sequencer. I first didnt understood this thing too. And than, if you have a Combinator with synths in it...that was a mystery at beginning.
Yeah Reason doesn't use very intuitive graphics. Lots of "arrows".

Something along the lines of this would be better:

keyboard-icon.gif
keyboard-icon.gif (30.2 KiB) Viewed 3303 times

I think it used to be a MIDI symbol in the Sequencer years ago...

There is also a very similar problem in the Sequencer with multi-lane edit.

arrowcity.png
arrowcity.png (15.55 KiB) Viewed 3303 times

It is not intuitive at all. Which is why I suggested this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7518587

These are easy fixes and just about anything different would be better.

Loque

22 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2021
22 Jan 2021

littlebluewhat.jpg

Yeah Reason doesn't use very intuitive graphics. Lots of "arrows".

Something along the lines of this would be better:

keyboard-icon.gif

I think it used to be a MIDI symbol in the Sequencer years ago...

There is also a very similar problem in the Sequencer with multi-lane edit.

arrowcity.png

It is not intuitive at all. Which is why I suggested this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7518587

These are easy fixes and just about anything different would be better.
Hum...maybe, yea. That had helped a bit. I dunno that this arrow wanted to tell me. It was something like "look here..." and i looked and nothing understood :-D
Reason12, Win10

• Information