Reason 12 release date?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EdGrip

19 Jan 2021

If it ever goes subscription only, that's the end of my time with Reason.

EnochLight

19 Jan 2021

Yeah I’m not worried about any of that. But I understand people’s concern.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Faastwalker

20 Jan 2021

EdGrip wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Same. I'm sick to the back teeth of subscription services. It's gotten out of hand. I've got a couple of TV / entertainment subs. Everything else has been cancelled. It's just ridiculous. They'll be trying to sub us air before long!! :o

QVprod

21 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
19 Jan 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Nah. Let's not encourage this subscription crap, even a little bit. Before you know it they will drop the numbers, simply call it Reason and make you pay monthly for getting any updates or support.Just the thought of having to pay monthly to even open Reason scares the living hell out of me. If they ever made the switch, that would be the day that I start looking at other DAWs.
Agree! I always thought having a subscribe option NEXT TO regular one-off purchase would be harmless, but seeing how Presonus puts more & more stuff exclusively behind the monthly sub scares me a bit.

I don't think it's a good idea economically, either. By now it should be obvious that most of the business in DAW and plugins market is generated by hobbyists, who are the only ones "caring" to keep up-to-date with latest synths, effects, DAW versions; actual pros are usually few versions behind, because it just works for them and does what they need.

I know for companies it looks tempting to be receiving $15-20 a month regularly, rather than a single $150 every 2-3 years, but myself - as a hobbyist - there are weeks and sometimes a month I won't touch my DAWs (or will open it, toy with it for a bit & close), so it would be totally pointless for me to sub anything, because that's just waste of money.
Actually most of the stuff in the Presonus Sphere is available separately. I have quite a few of the included add-ons and I’m still on version 4. The exclusivity is really more so the exclusive events, expert chat, and cloud storage. If you care about having all their content then the subscription is useful to you. Not much different than the Slate All Access Pass or Splice which has been around for some time now. It’s actually a good deal to someone who has nothing.

As long as no one goes the Adobe route, (subscription only) we’re safe. But having a subscription option is clearly the way of the future. Pro Tools has one, Studio One.... I don’t think there’s any escaping it at this point. I also think most users aren’t intentional hobbyists, so there will be some appeal.

EdwardKiy

21 Jan 2021

QVprod wrote:
21 Jan 2021
As long as no one goes the Adobe route, (subscription only) we’re safe. But having a subscription option is clearly the way of the future. Pro Tools has one, Studio One.... I don’t think there’s any escaping it at this point. I also think most users aren’t intentional hobbyists, so there will be some appeal.
But RS have had a subscription option for ages, they just didn't include the DAW or a service into it. And while making a phenomenal product, the RS are not that good at service. I mean, they can't handle one Feature Request subforum. So I don't see the service part happening in the near future. I wish there would be such an option, though. But even just leasing the DAW would be very practical for un-decided new users. Only as a second available option, of course. And this will be letting the subscription-only monster put a foot in the door(of this forum ehehehe).

EdGrip

21 Jan 2021

How do you mean, they can't handle a feature request subforum? You mean they don't implement every feature as soon as someone mentions it?

Yonatan

21 Jan 2021

Subscription option for Reason would require a bit more work on RS side, to bring more smaller updates that is of real value.
The bad subscriptions concerning apps are the ones that leaves you with norhing at all if ending.
But what if Reason becomes almost ”freeware” in a subscription mode?
What if making Reason widespread would bring in more via the shop than the pay wall?

Who knows what is meant by ”dont know if there will be a R12”.
What if Reason platform becomes something called only Reason Studio 2022?

Karim
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2021

I expect an announcement in April, a small beta test phase and then version 12 at the end of May (2021) :puf_wink:
Yonatan wrote:
21 Jan 2021
Subscription option for Reason would require a bit more work on RS side, to bring more smaller updates that is of real value.
The bad subscriptions concerning apps are the ones that leaves you with norhing at all if ending.
What if making Reason widespread would bring in more via the shop than the pay wall?

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

QVprod

21 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
21 Jan 2021
QVprod wrote:
21 Jan 2021
But RS have had a subscription option for ages, they just didn't include the DAW or a service into it. And while making a phenomenal product, the RS are not that good at service. I mean, they can't handle one Feature Request subforum. So I don't see the service part happening in the near future. I wish there would be such an option, though. But even just leasing the DAW would be very practical for un-decided new users. Only as a second available option, of course. And this will be letting the subscription-only monster put a foot in the door(of this forum ehehehe).
They don’t own this site. We’re independent. Thankfully they do hang out here though, but they’re under no responsibility to our feature request forum. Most features they’ve implemented in that last few years have been requests though. Just not as many as people have wanted at once. On the contrary, while they’re slow on core upgrades, I think creating content is a strength for RS. That’s what a lot of these services offer anyway primarily, content.

VariableX

21 Jan 2021

Subscription would be to make more money,
which means less money in our pockets or less functionality, take your pick....

felt the need to say this in this thread also 😬

dannyF

21 Jan 2021

EdGrip wrote:
21 Jan 2021
How do you mean, they can't handle a feature request subforum? You mean they don't implement every feature as soon as someone mentions it?
Folder tracks in sequencer.

Requested 2008 or earlier on the old propellerhead forum.

Yonatan

23 Jan 2021

Karim wrote:
21 Jan 2021
I expect an announcement in April, a small beta test phase and then version 12 at the end of May (2021) :puf_wink:
Yonatan wrote:
21 Jan 2021

Would love that plan! May is my favourite month. May madness.

Yonatan

23 Jan 2021

EdGrip wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Don´t think it would become subscription only, just as an option (lik "with x amounts of "free" RE" to choose from RS library).
If it went subscription only as well as/or Web-based only, I would be considering changing platform. But as an option, yes.

EdGrip

23 Jan 2021

As an option is fine. Adobe is not fine.

froggo_gfx

25 Jan 2021

H-huh..?

mravdirato

25 Jan 2021

I feel it. It's just around the corner.

antic604

25 Jan 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
25 Jan 2021
H-huh..?

Huh what? You're not aware of Bernie inauguration fashion memes?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

froggo_gfx

25 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
25 Jan 2021
froggo_gfx wrote:
25 Jan 2021
H-huh..?

They’ve publicly addressed Reason 12 in a tweet.

Loque

25 Jan 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
25 Jan 2021
antic604 wrote:
25 Jan 2021

No. They were "waving" to a question about the building...
Reason12, Win10

Karim
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2021

At the end of May it was my birthday and they gave me VST support (9.5) , Free! Do you remember?
My tears flowed copiously ...
I hope history repeats itself and the recent "A-list sale" gives me hope ...
Yonatan wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Karim wrote:
21 Jan 2021

Would love that plan! May is my favourite month. May madness.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

froggo_gfx

25 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
25 Jan 2021
froggo_gfx wrote:
25 Jan 2021

No. They were "waving" to a question about the building...
Can you see words “Reason 12” in an embedded tweet?
That’s Reason 12 being addressed by official account, whether they intended this or not.

guitfnky

25 Jan 2021

it’s more like Reason 12 being ignored by the official account. I get that we’re all anxious to get some updates, but it’s a bit of a stretch to think this has much meaning at all.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

froggo_gfx

25 Jan 2021

I’m not implying that it’s CONFIRMED or anything.
But I mean.. it can mean either comical obliviousness about how information from brand’s social media is perceived by engaged public or they’re really stirring something up. (honestly I think it’s the latter though)

guitfnky

25 Jan 2021

sure, stirring things up makes sense. they know we love to speculate, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re just giving us what we want. 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gscroggin

25 Jan 2021

So perhaps there’s no Reason 12 because it’s Reason+ and Companion now? Guess we find out in a day or two...

• Information