A-List Guitar REs Sale (& Discontinuation)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
doctecazoid
Posts: 63
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2021

This just hit my Inbox this afternoon, from ReasonStudios...

Save 74%
Final Sale for A-List Guitarists

The A-List Guitar Rack Extensions are being discontinued, so here is your very last chance to pick it up.

* A-List Acoustic Guitarist
* Power Chords A-List Electric Guitarist
* Pop Chords A-List Electric Guitarist
* Fingerpicking Nylon - A-List Guitarist
List Price $99 each - Now On Sale for $25 each

* A-List Guitarist Bundle
List Price $265 - Now On Sale for $69

(Campaign valid until midnight January 24 2021 and cannot be combined with coupon codes or any other offer.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2067
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2021

Is U jam picking it up, like the Virtual drummer situation? Good amount of time to decide.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1607
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 13 Jan 2021

Why are they packing it up?

Which of these is usable and what are better alternatives?

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 815
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 13 Jan 2021

Ah now it makes sense!
IMG_2377.JPG


I was hoping that we was getting a new physical model "strum" mode for Frikton not RE version of ujam guitar vst's

If there going to discontinue them why not make them free to those that have spent more than the current bundle sale price.. I'm sure I've got at lease two or three of them guitar RE's and I even ended up buying the alist drummer replacements from ujam before the crossover became a thing.

I would rather they gave them away to those that have already spent more than enough on them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2816
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2021

weird...really curious why they would discontinue them...

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 815
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 13 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
13 Jan 2021
weird...really curious why they would discontinue them...
IMG_2379.JPG

That's why! https://www.ujam.com/guitarist/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2816
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
13 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
13 Jan 2021
weird...really curious why they would discontinue them...
IMG_2379.JPG


That's why! https://www.ujam.com/guitarist/

that doesn’t really answer the question. there are a thousand compressor REs in the shop, and they don’t just stop selling them just because a new one comes out.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 7677
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
13 Jan 2021
weird...really curious why they would discontinue them...
Similar as when the A-List Drummers were discontinued. I'm not sure if UJAM will replace the A-List Guitarist REs with Virtual Guitarist REs in the future...

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2816
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
13 Jan 2021
weird...really curious why they would discontinue them...
Similar as when the A-List Drummers were discontinued. I'm not sure if UJAM will replace the A-List Guitarist REs with Virtual Guitarist REs in the future...
ha, I didn’t even know A-List Drummer was discontinued. never really had a need for any in this line, but it’s still perplexing to me why they’d remove them, rather than just allowing them to fade into obscurity as newer options come onto the scene.

Bes
Posts: 427
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 13 Jan 2021

i wonder if ujam asked for it or if rstudios offered it. it seems to me rstudios is really hungry for branded RE content

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 7677
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
13 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
13 Jan 2021


Similar as when the A-List Drummers were discontinued. I'm not sure if UJAM will replace the A-List Guitarist REs with Virtual Guitarist REs in the future...
ha, I didn’t even know A-List Drummer was discontinued. never really had a need for any in this line, but it’s still perplexing to me why they’d remove them, rather than just allowing them to fade into obscurity as newer options come onto the scene.
Yes, they were replaced by Virtual Drummer REs. The A-List products were made by UJAM, but published under the Propellerhead name. UJAM took over managing the products under their own name with updates to the plugins.

I'm not sure if and when we might see Virtual Guitarist REs, but A-List is a little bit behind in features, so it's better to discontinue until there is a better replacement in RE format (or just direct the customer to the VST). I do like the CV capabilities of the A-List Guitarist REs and making your own custom rhythms with a Matrix.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1607
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 13 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
13 Jan 2021


ha, I didn’t even know A-List Drummer was discontinued. never really had a need for any in this line, but it’s still perplexing to me why they’d remove them, rather than just allowing them to fade into obscurity as newer options come onto the scene.
Yes, they were replaced by Virtual Drummer REs. The A-List products were made by UJAM, but published under the Propellerhead name. UJAM took over managing the products under their own name with updates to the plugins.

I'm not sure if and when we might see Virtual Guitarist REs, but A-List is a little bit behind in features, so it's better to discontinue until there is a better replacement in RE format (or just direct the customer to the VST). I do like the CV capabilities of the A-List Guitarist REs and making your own custom rhythms with a Matrix.
Can one make custom rhythms with the vst versions?

Yonatan
Posts: 1251
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2021

Have them all. Nice as bread and butter devices, especially in the modular Reason structure.

Nylon fingerpicking and Power chords are the ones I like best out of the box. After that A-list Pop, which is nice with some tweaking. Acoustic guitar is ok and can be used with careful automation and in a mix, but it is a bit pale in timbre and would not trust using it live, only with programming and even then it feels a bit unpredictable in switching phrases.

If midi drag n drop gets implemented in sdk, they will probably bring the current line into RE, but not with the current limitations of RE.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5948
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 14 Jan 2021

Any guitarists use these?
I got a couple of UJam ones for free a while back and I’ve also got that Rob Papen thing...and the AAS strum session which I also got free. But I think I only looked at them for about 5 minutes before I uninstalled them as I felt it was just easier to play the stuff by myself.
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 587
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 14 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Any guitarists use these?
I don't use the A-list ones but I do use similar things such as Strum and the UJam VSTs. I write and produce songs for others as well as myself and these tools allow me to rough out a song demo really quickly. I could probably play 80% of what I need but it takes more time and the part will usually be re-recorded anyway. What I really need is the equivalent tool for lead vocals!

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 449
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 14 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Any guitarists use these?
Not everyone has the installation of a correct sound recording of a guitar (microphone + preamp). ;)

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2816
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
13 Jan 2021


ha, I didn’t even know A-List Drummer was discontinued. never really had a need for any in this line, but it’s still perplexing to me why they’d remove them, rather than just allowing them to fade into obscurity as newer options come onto the scene.
Yes, they were replaced by Virtual Drummer REs. The A-List products were made by UJAM, but published under the Propellerhead name. UJAM took over managing the products under their own name with updates to the plugins.

I'm not sure if and when we might see Virtual Guitarist REs, but A-List is a little bit behind in features, so it's better to discontinue until there is a better replacement in RE format (or just direct the customer to the VST). I do like the CV capabilities of the A-List Guitarist REs and making your own custom rhythms with a Matrix.
interesting—didn’t know UJam had gotten management of the REs. makes a *little* more sense now. still could give folks the option to choose which product suits them best, rather than forcing them toward one product, but at least it’s not RS making the call (which is why it struck me as so odd).

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2816
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 14 Jan 2021

geronimo wrote:
14 Jan 2021
MrFigg wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Any guitarists use these?
Not everyone has the installation of a correct sound recording of a guitar (microphone + preamp). ;)
if you have an interface, you’ve already got a preamp. a budget mic can cost less than even one of these REs, on sale.

of course you still have to know how to play the thing. 😅

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 867
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 14 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Any guitarists use these?
I have 1 of them can't remember which one but I used it maybe 2 times but ended up replacing them with real guitars anyway



discontinued they are being replaced or similar devices are in Reason 12 maybe

Tiny Montgomery
Posts: 101
Joined: 22 Apr 2020

Post 16 Jan 2021

Yonatan wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Have them all. Nice as bread and butter devices, especially in the modular Reason structure.

Nylon fingerpicking and Power chords are the ones I like best out of the box. After that A-list Pop, which is nice with some tweaking. Acoustic guitar is ok and can be used with careful automation and in a mix, but it is a bit pale in timbre and would not trust using it live, only with programming and even then it feels a bit unpredictable in switching phrases.

If midi drag n drop gets implemented in sdk, they will probably bring the current line into RE, but not with the current limitations of RE.
I'm thinking of picking up the fingerpicking nylon today, it's 24 quid. I have strummed acoustic and electric guitars in standard Komplete but no fingerpicking guitars (which is probably how I like to hear acoustic guitar best).

Yonatan
Posts: 1251
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
16 Jan 2021
Yonatan wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Have them all. Nice as bread and butter devices, especially in the modular Reason structure.

Nylon fingerpicking and Power chords are the ones I like best out of the box. After that A-list Pop, which is nice with some tweaking. Acoustic guitar is ok and can be used with careful automation and in a mix, but it is a bit pale in timbre and would not trust using it live, only with programming and even then it feels a bit unpredictable in switching phrases.

If midi drag n drop gets implemented in sdk, they will probably bring the current line into RE, but not with the current limitations of RE.
I'm thinking of picking up the fingerpicking nylon today, it's 24 quid. I have strummed acoustic and electric guitars in standard Komplete but no fingerpicking guitars (which is probably how I like to hear acoustic guitar best).
Keep in mind that Ujam probably will port their guitars to RE some day ahead, but will probably be at a higher price.
If you don´t play fingerpicking nylon guitar yourself, I think it will be a lot of fun for only €24. It has a nice tone.
I own and play real nylon guitars but I have never ever regretted buying that A-list nylon RE (got it at discount).

JunctionArsonist
Posts: 27
Joined: 23 Sep 2018

Post 16 Jan 2021

the acoustic ones are a great tool... i dont keep a guitar mic rigged up in my small space, nor do i have a nylon string guitar.

i'll play my own electric guitar, though...

if you cant play a guitar, i'd recommend the whole bundle, even though i have had some programming issues ...

Tiny Montgomery
Posts: 101
Joined: 22 Apr 2020

Post 16 Jan 2021

Yonatan wrote:
16 Jan 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
16 Jan 2021


I'm thinking of picking up the fingerpicking nylon today, it's 24 quid. I have strummed acoustic and electric guitars in standard Komplete but no fingerpicking guitars (which is probably how I like to hear acoustic guitar best).
Keep in mind that Ujam probably will port their guitars to RE some day ahead, but will probably be at a higher price.
If you don´t play fingerpicking nylon guitar yourself, I think it will be a lot of fun for only €24. It has a nice tone.
I own and play real nylon guitars but I have never ever regretted buying that A-list nylon RE (got it at discount).
I did it and had a lovely couple of hours getting familiar with it. I thought I may as well start something with this, added cello and violins , made my usual move of reaching for Kontakt Rickenbacker bass and Reason crashed and I hadn't saved lol. Ive not been using Reason much lately , I expect a restart after downloading and having a play may have been advisable.

Glad I bought it though, and you're right about the tone, as some of the combinators show they are neutral enough to be effected in interesting ways without being too bland. I really enjoyed experimenting with moving the bass note under a chord and also seeing what popped out hitting two keys etc. Getting my Donovan on lol.

User avatar
stfual
Posts: 126
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2021

Don't rule out the possibility of acquisition. Before a sale there is often a cleanup of business relationships especially if the sale is to a competitor of one of the companies involved. PX7, Ozone, and AList suggest there is some kind of cleanup going on.

Yonatan
Posts: 1251
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
16 Jan 2021
Yonatan wrote:
16 Jan 2021


Keep in mind that Ujam probably will port their guitars to RE some day ahead, but will probably be at a higher price.
If you don´t play fingerpicking nylon guitar yourself, I think it will be a lot of fun for only €24. It has a nice tone.
I own and play real nylon guitars but I have never ever regretted buying that A-list nylon RE (got it at discount).
I did it and had a lovely couple of hours getting familiar with it. I thought I may as well start something with this, added cello and violins , made my usual move of reaching for Kontakt Rickenbacker bass and Reason crashed and I hadn't saved lol. Ive not been using Reason much lately , I expect a restart after downloading and having a play may have been advisable.

Glad I bought it though, and you're right about the tone, as some of the combinators show they are neutral enough to be effected in interesting ways without being too bland. I really enjoyed experimenting with moving the bass note under a chord and also seeing what popped out hitting two keys etc. Getting my Donovan on lol.
Great to hear you got good use of A-list Nylon. I like to play the chord notes manually myself in the chromatic scale mode, and I could see that also being useful with some players added. And, yes, the bass note thing in this A-list is a lovely addition.

Too bad about the crashing, often a VST that makes it crash. And it reminds us that RS really need to implement the autosave option. :)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Gardinski and 2 guests