Reason Constantly Not Responding When Switching Tabs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
solitaryrs

08 Jan 2021

Nobody seems to have this issue on the forums.

The problem of not responding for ~10-15s also happens while the current active window is Reason itself, which makes using it too inconvenient.

My laptop has a i7 9th Gen processor, with 64gb RAM, so I don't think hardware is the issue here.

I have some network files that slows my searching of folders, but all my reason files and the installation is local, so I don't think that's the issue either.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I've tried changing the windows display resolution back to 100% and that doesn't change things either.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thank you

antic604

09 Jan 2021

solitaryrs wrote:
08 Jan 2021
What tabs? What other Reason forums are there?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

solitaryrs

10 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2021
solitaryrs wrote:
08 Jan 2021
What tabs? What other Reason forums are there?
I mean the threads on this forum. I mean changing window, not tabs (it was late in the day haha), so changing from reason to chrome, or to spotify, etc

Sorry about the confusion :?

antic604

10 Jan 2021

solitaryrs wrote:
10 Jan 2021
...I mean changing window, not tabs (it was late in the day haha), so changing from reason to chrome, or to spotify, etc...
Well, that's weird. I assume it only happens when Reason is running? It's all fast when it's not? Does it happen always regardless of project playing or not? Does the size of the project and/or DSP load matter? How about RAM utilisation?
Music tech enthusiast.

jam-s

13 Jan 2021

Make sure that your GPU driver is up to date.

antic604

14 Jan 2021

jam-s wrote:
13 Jan 2021
Why would that matter?
Reason doesn't use GPU.
Music tech enthusiast.

solitaryrs

15 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
10 Jan 2021
solitaryrs wrote:
10 Jan 2021
...I mean changing window, not tabs (it was late in the day haha), so changing from reason to chrome, or to spotify, etc...
Well, that's weird. I assume it only happens when Reason is running? It's all fast when it's not? Does it happen always regardless of project playing or not? Does the size of the project and/or DSP load matter? How about RAM utilisation?
Yeah it's really quick for every other application, even when reason is running. Also, when I'm recording and it says not responding, it still records and registers MIDI input without problems, the GUI just freezes for about 5-15s.

So far I've only used an empty project with just a piano patch from Reason Pianos. Before even recording anything this problem occurs.

I don't know what RAM utilisation is, but I have 32GB RAM, surely there would be enough free for Reason?

jam-s

17 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
14 Jan 2021
jam-s wrote:
13 Jan 2021
Why would that matter?
Reason doesn't use GPU.
Sure it does. It uses a lot of 2d drawing via the OS. A GPU also has accelerators for this and a bad driver can cause serious performance issues.

solitaryrs

19 Jan 2021

Ok, so the problem seems to be solved.

It was the network files that were messing things up. I severed access to them and everything was a lot faster. Perhaps it was something to do with reason struggling to communicate with the network files and access them. However, I never really used the network files so it's bizarre that removing them from my laptop was the solution.

In any case, thank you both for contributing!

Aquila

19 Jan 2021

Sorry, but what are network files?

Rising Night Wave

19 Jan 2021

sorry. i did not read the whole post. am, have you tired to upgrade to latest version of your grpahic card drivers? maybe this would solve the problem: when you are switching between apps while using ALT+TAB keys. also, depends of what kind of computer you have: if you have two graphical card (impelemnted into CPU and external as PCIe card) upgrade both drivers to latest. i can recommend, if you do not mind: Snappy Driver Installer Origin. see here: https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/download/ - - - and click on "application only" link.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

• Information