record monitoring on 18i20

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bpmorton

12 Jan 2021

I like to monitor my guitar through Reason so I can use amp sims (Kaussa RE's). I had some weirdness with my Focusrite 18i20 (second gen) a few months ago and had to re-install the drivers and now hardware monitoring is on by default and I have no idea how to turn it off. I'm getting that doubling thing with one direct signal and one through my amp sim. I'm running Reason 10 on a Windows 10 machine. I don't see any controls for hardware monitoring on the Focusrite control application and I don't see any way to change it in preffs.

miyaru

13 Jan 2021

If all went OK, you have installed the mixer kind of app. Here you can set levels or mute all inputs and route to anywhere when needed. It should be under the Focusrite tab in the startlist of Windows.

In your case you should find the output(s) from which you monitor - Headphone and Main Out, and mute the input where your guitar is plugged in. Easy as that.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

bpmorton

14 Jan 2021

miyaru wrote:
13 Jan 2021
If all went OK, you have installed the mixer kind of app. Here you can set levels or mute all inputs and route to anywhere when needed. It should be under the Focusrite tab in the startlist of Windows.

In your case you should find the output(s) from which you monitor - Headphone and Main Out, and mute the input where your guitar is plugged in. Easy as that.......
Hey, Thanks for responding. first, the reason I'm asking here and not Focusrite customer service is that they took about 2 weeks to get back to me the last time I had an issue and it was like that for a month or so. I'd wait two weeks for a response then respond and wait another two weeks for second reply.

Anyway, I'm not seeing any way to alter my settings I've messed with "Focusrite Control" which I assume is the place to turn off hardware monitoring. Here is a screen shot. I've tried the mute buttons, they do nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
FC Image.jpg
FC Image.jpg (97.69 KiB) Viewed 789 times

miyaru

14 Jan 2021

It should look like this, and to add inputs which should be routed to outputs - otherwise you can't mute them - click the "+" button in the empty field to the right where now your playback lives......

Then when you added and named the inputs, mute or put down the faders on the ones that should be quiet.

That would do the trick!

Succes, and get back if you need more help!!!!! :thumbs_up:
Attachments
Focusrite Mixer.jpg
Focusrite Mixer.jpg (136.02 KiB) Viewed 753 times
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

bpmorton

15 Jan 2021

my "+" was greyed out. I went to the edit menu and reset factory defaults that that gave my inputs 1 and 2 like you have on your screen cap. Still hearing the audio through the hardware even when 1 is muted or fader is down. I poked around some more and clicked on the gear icon and then changed the monitor controls switching them down from 1-2 to 3-4 etc. when I got to all, all audio muted on my unit and I thought that I fixed the problem but now there is no audio at all. The audio driver crashed. I'll try contacting customer service but this time I will not be so nice to them.

miyaru

15 Jan 2021

Are you shure you have the right driver for your Scarlet? I mean there are three generations. I have generation Three, but do you have the right driver and app? Sounds strange, but makes all the difference. I do not underestimate you, but it can save the hustle of contacting Focusrite.......
Greetings from Miyaru.

miyaru

15 Jan 2021

I read all posts again in this topic, and found out you have a 2nd gen Scarlet......

Again be shure you have the app and drivers for the 2nd gen!

Contact again if you need any help........
Greetings from Miyaru.

bpmorton

15 Jan 2021

Thanks for the help. I just took a look on their webpage. I did select 2nd gen when getting the drivers. I also took another look at the user guide. It has almost no info on how to use the control software. Time to get aggressive with Focusrite customer service.

miyaru

15 Jan 2021

I wish you good luck, and don't let yourself mess up by this.
Greetings from Miyaru.

• Information