Problem with new MIDI out device

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
wombler

12 Jan 2021

The new MIDI out device is creating issues for me when trying to sync external hardware from within the Reason 11 DAW

I can select an external synth from the drop-down list on the front of the new device but when I press play, instead of syncing normally, the pattern begins to play normally and quickly either goes very low pitch or very high pitch - playing completely the wrong notes.

If I select no external synth from the device but I have sync on it will sync normally when I press play but obviously the MIDI notes will start playing on whatever track I have selected. Not a solution.

It all worked perfectly on v10 and I've checked all my settings and preferences very carefully and I just can't work out where I'm going wrong?

Any ideas? If I can't sort this out by the end of the month I'll have to get the refund and I don't want to do that if avoidable.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jan 2021

What synth are you using?
Where are the notes coming from?
Have your tried other synths?
Have you tried a different patch?
Have you tried sequencing differently?

Just looking to get more clarity for you and us to better understand the issue and think of solutions.

Personally the midi out device has worked wonders for me, though I seldom sequence from the computer, I prefer hardware sequencers. But when I've used it, it has worked without issue.

wombler

12 Jan 2021

Thanks for replying.

Currently I've got a Behringer Crave linked via USB

The notes are coming from the Crave's sequencer when in sync mode (clock coming from Reason) or from Reason's sequencer or player devices when not synced. Depends on the project.

I haven't got any other synths here right now that I can test it on unfortunately.

Yes, I've tried other patches and it makes no difference.

Not sure how sequencing differently is going to fix this.

As I mentioned, it all works fine if I boot up Reason 10 and all preferences and settings are the same. It's driving me nuts.

I hope some of that info helps.

wombler

12 Jan 2021

Ok, I've sussed it out.

The Crave was selected under Easy MIDI inputs (my controller keyboard wasn't available to select) when I unticked the Crave it started working just as it should and the next time I opened the preferences dialog my controller keyboard was available and ticked! Strange. No wonder I didn't notice it at first.

Anyway, all fixed now.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jan 2021

wombler wrote:
12 Jan 2021
Ok, I've sussed it out.

The Crave was selected under Easy MIDI inputs (my controller keyboard wasn't available to select) when I unticked the Crave it started working just as it should and the next time I opened the preferences dialog my controller keyboard was available and ticked! Strange. No wonder I didn't notice it at first.

Anyway, all fixed now.
Happy to hear it was a simple solution and that you got it all working properly.

• Information