Friktion vs Miroslav Gold

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

07 Jan 2021

Hey everyone,
I have a question that I'm sure you've already gleaned from the title but which do you guys think is better, Miroslav Gold or Friktion for good quality string sounds. Miroslav has been on the market for years and I've read great things about it in the past but I never pulled the trigger on it. The benefits to buying the gold bundle as I see it are that I get a complete orchestra of sounds that's more expansive than just strings and many people swear by it. Tried and true I guess you could say. The con is its price point.. yikes!!
The benefits of Friktion is that it's a synth which won't eat up as much memory as miroslav which is sample based and its price point is more friendly. The demos didn't sound bad either.
So which one would you guys get?
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Billy+

07 Jan 2021

Two different beats

Friktion is not an orchestra.
Miroslav is not Friktion

BRIGGS

07 Jan 2021

Layering instances of friktion should get you an orchestra.

You could also individualize the parts for a bigger sound. <---significantly more work here
r11s

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2021

TBH and of course imho, any money you put towards Miroslav Gold is throwing it to trash. If you're thinking about miroslav it means that you're probably looking at your first main orchestra plug and if I was in your shoes I'd go for the BBC Symphonic Orchestra.

Second, friktion is great, but I don't agree it will sound good as an orchestra. First because the orchestra is not only made of strings (you have 3 additional sections that are as important as strings - brass, woods and percussion - and though friktion can be programmed to sound a bit like a wind instrument, it is not as natural as as sampled orchestra at the other sections). Also, i "feel" friktion is too "in your face" and is more thought as a solo instrument or maybe a small ensemble. Turning friktion into a large orchestra would probably consume more CPU than a real orchestra VST.

Still about orchestra plugins, what you need to know is that current options give you an amazing control against old orchestral plugins, more specifically on the legato and expression the more "swelling" patches.

So imho, if you're starting off, BBC SSO Core would be a great start. It's unfortunate you put this now as BBC So Core was 40% off until the end of the year, so now you might have to wait a bit for it to get lower again. In your place, I'd go for Friktion instead of Miroslav and get BBC SO discover right now for free (https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/ ... -discover/) or 50 Usd if youd don't want to answer the form, and be alert for a new sale.

Good Luck!

esselfortium

07 Jan 2021

Miroslav was worth considering 20 years ago, not so much nowadays.

I agree that BBCSO Core on sale is a good way to go if you're looking for a full orchestra. On sale it goes for I think $240 a few times per year (if you own Discover, which you can get for free by filling out a survey and waiting a month), which is one of the best prices around for a modern, well-sampled and user-friendly orchestra library.

Nucleus is another entry-level orchestra option worth considering.

If you're only looking for strings and don't care about the rest of the orchestra, I think the core version of Spitfire Studio Strings goes for $150 when it's on sale. Or if you own the paid version of Kontakt ($125 via crossgrade during a sale), 8Dio Anthology Strings has sold for as low as $98. Both of those are quality options in their own ways and both offer a lot of useful content.

When it comes to this sort of thing, it's worth investigating all the options in the price range you're willing to consider, check out the official demo videos and third-party reviews, and wait it out to see what kinds of sales pop up rather than buying at full price.

And no, layering solo instruments together absolutely doesn't get you the sound of a group of performers in a room playing in unison. Friktion is cool for solo parts, but not for that.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

FrankJaeger

07 Jan 2021

Thank you for the quick replies. I'm not trying to make an orchestral track or anything like that. I really like to blend genres with my music and was looking to incorporate some elements of an orchestra (good quality strings for example) into my projects to give them a different vibe. Just for flavor.
I'm definitely going to look into all of your suggestions, especially the 8Dio Kontakt library that esselfortium mentioned as it had slipped my mind that I have Kontakt already.

Thank you guys again. Hope ya'll have a blessed day/evening.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

joeyluck

07 Jan 2021

Miroslav is decent for using mixed with other instruments and effects. I would say it comes down to the deal available. If it's a few bucks, it's still great to have. For the regular price of $250, I would definitely grab something else!

Be sure to get all of the free options out there if you haven't already!

- Spitfire Audio LABS
- Spitfire Audio BBC SO Discover (delivered free after 14 days)
- ProjectSAM The Free Orchestra

My favorite paid orchestral instruments are Sonuscore's The Orchestra Complete and UJAM's STRIIIINGS. I simply love animated orchestras that are fun to play, help inspire ideas, and make composing more efficient.

2chris

07 Jan 2021

It’s just another opinion but I would say check out Inspire 1 and 2 from Orchestral Tools when they are on sale. I prefer the sound of 2, it’s a closer emotional sound. You get a great sketch pad type option with lots of sections beyond strings. Spitfire also has so many great libraries for orchestral it’s too hard to suggest just one, but the elements are a good starter beyond their free libraries. Beyond that Sonusure The Orchestra is pretty solid but not as detailed and to me is a little sterile sounding.

If you want something Lightweight on resources and size, but sounds excellent at a solid price I’d have to say my top recommendation is Audio Imperia Nucleus. It might be the best starting point for a modern sounding full orchestral product, but it’s not cheap.

Billy+

07 Jan 2021

Check out the newest competition such as https://www.ujam.com/striiiings/

FrankJaeger

10 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
07 Jan 2021
Check out the newest competition such as https://www.ujam.com/striiiings/

This looks like it might just do the trick. I've never heard of this product or this company for that matter. THIS is why I love coming here... ReasonTalk is a wealth of knowledge.
Midniite Music

ctreitzell

27 Jan 2021

I think I got Miroslav for 50 currency units a few years ago...when it was very long in the tooth.

Here's the thing about Miroslav; you looking for some sample you know is in FSB or Orkester? Nope, not there...have a look in Miroslav, you might find it. I was needing a Guiro stroke or two today. I know I have it...look here, look there....oh! it's in Miroslav....and several nice scrapes

Of course you aren't going to use it as a big focus for a composition; but there are some very useful things in Miroslav.

but, yeah, for 250 currency units?!? Best look at something else for that kinda cost
I'm a rack guy guitar player
Reason 1, 2.5, 4, 8, 10
SawStudio
i7 8700K 64GB RAM
RME UFX+
Adam A7X

• Information