Subwoofers. Advantages/disadvantages?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
bxbrkrz

Post 09 Jan 2021

You don't need to have the sub placed so close to your feet. Have it near. The lower the frequencies, the more omnidirectional they are, but placing the sub too far and you'll have a bit of latency.
The two walls are acting like you are inside a speaker cabinet. Just be aware of this.
Very cool 3D rendering.

The Arc3 tech is built in

Mistro17

Post 09 Jan 2021

I like to draw parallels with visual art and music to better understand what I'm working with. In computer graphics there's a term called "linear color space" to produce realistic lighting. The same color can be affected in many ways due to lighting and lighting sources in a render. The raw color would be the fundamental in sound terms. All these terms that deal with frequency and space and issues that are associated with mixing reminds me of it. For example when mixing we have to consider how the track would sound across multiple speakers and acoustic circumstances. At what level does mixing become subjective and where is the fundamental? When my set comes, I will be considering a lot due to the advice I been reading here. I have a feeling I will be overthinking where to put the subwoofer. If it sounds good to me at my computer location but not so good at the back of the room, is that an indicator of something wrong or does it really matter since no one is in the back of the room listening? If not centered under the computer table, is it ok somewhere off to the side since space is really tight in that nook? Can the placement of the sub be away from the computer table area all together and still work with the right tweaking in regard to monitors settings?

@bxbrkrz Thanks for the compliment :)

Adding image again since the original is on page 1
My-RoomWIP10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

selig
RE Developer

Post 09 Jan 2021

The question is more about where to put the listening position, because the sub position will likely be relative to that position. In your space you only really have two options for the listening position, where you have it now and the opposite end of the room. The sub will most likely sound best closest to th listening position, typically under the desk in the center. Leaving some room to move it front to back by a foot or more will give you multiple options.

I just went through this process in my new space, and was surprised how different things could sound with movements of a foot or so (i have a lot of space to work with!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Mistro17

Post 09 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
09 Jan 2021
The question is more about where to put the listening position, because the sub position will likely be relative to that position. In your space you only really have two options for the listening position, where you have it now and the opposite end of the room. The sub will most likely sound best closest to th listening position, typically under the desk in the center. Leaving some room to move it front to back by a foot or more will give you multiple options.

I just went through this process in my new space, and was surprised how different things could sound with movements of a foot or so (i have a lot of space to work with!).
Thanks. I was hoping that can be an option. I just watched a video on placement that gave me some more clarity. I see myself getting settled with it over some time.

Billy

Post 09 Jan 2021

Q). If you use a sub is it better to use cables that are all the same length.
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:
Follow Me @ https://twitch.tv/buskinbills

moalla

Post 10 Jan 2021

My experience with an extra 8 inch 90watt 4ohm diy sub iss, first find the right low pass frequency arround 70-80hz and set then the filter for the different outputs. Best for me at this need works the lindell 6x-500 as crossover.

But what´s the problem with such diy, vst filtered subwoofer expansion for a small room 12-14 m², the resonance at low hz, cause the amp modul has no high pass filter arround 32hz.
Especial more or less all inexpensive subs and speakers a mostly made for cinema use, so their attack and release times are bad, to mod such a thing it´s not really cool, or present.

Instead of getting a used cinema sub, I ve build myself with a OmnesAudio W8-670Z and a mivoc am 80 from the flea market, a portokasse sub.
With a transmission line port of circa 19mm height in a 26litre case.
https://www.oaudio.de/out/media/PortoSu ... auplan.pdf

I also tested it with my dbx234 xs crossover for pa use, what worked well in separating frequencys, but the whole stage of my eve audio SC205 gets lost. So if you need really more than addition for mastering you must buy more or less a active sub over 400€ from adam, eve, klein hummel, genlec etc.

But for music making with lower demands a diy sub like mine works better than most cheap music discounter stuff i would say, the best cheap subwoofer in my ears are the logitech z5500

Also a nice thing, when you read the experience of hifi enthusiasts, must be a 2.1 system build with a mini dsp 2/4 ass crossover.

have a nice time
there is no right life in the wrong one [T.W. Adorno]
MAKE REALITY GREAT AGAIN

Läpptop mit zuviele Plugins :)

mcatalao

Post 10 Jan 2021

I really prefer a balanced 2 monitor system with good bass than a 2.1 system (or even in a 5.1 for that matter so i even don't have a sub in my home cinema). I bought a Focal Alpha 80 pair that goes down to 35 Hz (and my home floor monitors are flat down to 32 Hz, so i just diverted the sub signal to them within the amp) which is pretty low for music, and at the moment i don't need a sub. Still if you go for a sub remember to setup the crossover with your monitors, so that it doesn't hit frequencies that are already being produced by your monitors. This can create an unbalanced response So stay away from any kind of sub that doesn't have a crossover filter. AS for the position, center it as much as possible as thought bass frequencies are less directional, that's not completely true for the the mid-low region and you might end with an unbalanced image.

moalla

Post 11 Jan 2021

Focal Alpha80 Boxen are really Bassfull, extrelmy nice for electronic music, not the best for instrumental music stuff, for my ears when i heard them in s music shop
there is no right life in the wrong one [T.W. Adorno]
MAKE REALITY GREAT AGAIN

Läpptop mit zuviele Plugins :)

demt

Post 13 Jan 2021

I can adjust the crossover frequency on my 100w sub it allmost gets up to standered mid range and Its on a independent volume controll making fiddling with it a breeze.
Reason 11 suite modular rack squarp hermon
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information