In the market for a new MIDI controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
utdgrant

08 Jan 2021

I'm currently in the market for a new MIDI controller keyboard for use with Reason. Currently, I own an Alesis QX49 (4-oct, 8 sliders, 8 knobs) and an Arturia Minibrute (2-oct with aftertouch). I use the QX49 the vast majority of the time, mainly because of the span and the number of MIDI Continuous Controllers I can assign to tweak parameters in real time. However, I DO like to use aftertouch (which the QX49 lacks), especially when playing Arturia V Collection instruments like the CS-80 V, so in those situations I use the Minibrute. I'm not looking for poly/key aftertouch, as my keyboard chops aren't that great (and I don't think any Reason devices can process it), but mono aftertouch/MIDI channel pressure is a "must have" for my next keyboard.

The QX49 isn't recognised as a supported controller by Reason, but it's not too much hassle to assign the knobs and sliders to parameters on devices.
So, my first question is: Is there any great advantage in using an OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED controller over a generic one?

Secondly: Do any of you use a controller with full-size keys, at least four octaves, at least 16 knobs / sliders and with aftertouch? Based on your experience with it, would you recommend it or advise against it?

Thirdly: Do the Reason internal devices play nicely with incremental 'infinite' knobs or am I better sticking to absolute controllers? I don't have much preference either way.

Thanks in advance, Grant.
Grant Middleton (records as "Under the Dome")

:reason: 12, Windows 10, 64-bit

Personal Website

YouTube channel

Billy+

08 Jan 2021

I love my P6

https://nektartech.com/panorama-p4-p6/

https://nektartech.com/reason/
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2373.JPG (182.9 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
SPECIFICATIONS
Keyboard
• 49 or 61 note semi-weighted, velocity-sensitive
• keyboard w/aftertouch
• 5 velocity curves plus fixed
• Pitch bend & Modulation assignable wheels
• Octave shift buttons
• PB1/2 buttons
• 4 keyboard zones programmable with controller filters and program changes
• 5 keyboard maps store all settings
Preset Controls
• 16 encoders
• 9 45mm faders
• 10 assignable LED buttons
• 11 dedicated transport buttons
• 20 preset locations store all settings including links to keyboard, pad and F-keys maps
Pads
• 12 pads with velocity and pressure sensitivity
• 7 velocity curves
• Note-learn,
• Scale mode with 30+ scales and interval setting
• Velocity spread functions spreads the selected pad assignment over all 12 pads, at different velocity levels
• Transpose and Octave shift in both pad-map and scale mode
• Pads freely assignable in Reason mode
• Load or Save to any of 20 pad maps
F-keys
• 11 assignable Function Keys (accessible using shift and transport keys)
• Load or Save to any of 10 F-Keys maps
• F-Keys assignable even in 3 Reason modes

System Requirements
USB Class compliant, no driver is needed for:
Apple iOS, Apple OSX
Windows XP, or higher
Linux (MIDI driver software required)
Nektar DAW Integration
Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
Windows Vista, 7 & 8 or higher
Last edited by Billy+ on 08 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

utdgrant

08 Jan 2021

That looks awesome! I do like a semi-weighted action - I miss my old Ensoniq ESQ-1 for that.

Thanks for the reply. :thumbs_up:

Personal Website

YouTube channel

Billy+

08 Jan 2021

No worries, have a good read about it at the URL above it integrates nicely with Reason, and a lot of people have built quite a large collection of remote maps for it as well.

utdgrant

06 Feb 2021

Just a quick update to let you know that I took delivery of a T6 today, and I'm already finding it a huge step up from what I've been using in the past. Bought an expression pedal with it, and that's a revelation in itself!

Thanks for your recommendation! Much appreciated.

Personal Website

YouTube channel

OldSchoolSkunk

10 Feb 2021

@utdgrant great choice i'm looking into getting a controller as my old 35 year old KawaiK3 synth is getting more dead keys on it. (i know there's a video that may be able to fix that) but I'm looking to get something that will help with my workflow with Reason and have been looking at the T6 or the Impact LX88 (yeah 88 keys!) from Nektar.

Billy+

10 Feb 2021

utdgrant wrote:
06 Feb 2021
Thanks for your recommendation! Much appreciated.
No worries, I did say P6 but either way I hope you are having fun with it!

Aquila

10 Feb 2021

After going for the much cheaper Impact LX+ and not being happy with the key action I would also suggest aim for the P6.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

Nektar have the deepest integration.

If you already have keyboard that you like then pair it with the Nektar P1 controller and have the best of both worlds....
OldSchoolSkunk wrote:
10 Feb 2021
Impact LX88 (yeah 88 keys!) from Nektar.
I saw one of those going (new) for just over £200 the other day, cheapest I have ever seen it...

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

Noise
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

I've mentioned this in a another thread, I'm just finishing this little app, for creating Remotes mapping intuitively for the P1.
Hope I can release it soon! It's not perfect , but I've already made a bunch of customized remote mapping with this.
Sure it will help someone!
Attachments
reMapp.jpg
reMapp.jpg (243.3 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Last edited by Noise on 11 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
I've mentioned this in a another thread, I'm just finishing this little app, for creating Remotes mapping for intuitively for the P1.
Hope I can release it soon! It's not perfect , but I've already made a bunch of customized remote mapping with this.
That's really coming on now, do you have a demo of it? Where is your thread on this?

Noise
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
I've mentioned this in a another thread, I'm just finishing this little app, for creating Remotes mapping for intuitively for the P1.
That's really coming on now, do you have a demo of it? Where is your thread on this?
Didn't made a new thread, just made a reply to EnochLight about it the P1 panorama thread.
Don't have a demo, I will release it fully. I'm just adding the help section and other utilities, I think it's stable now.
If that's ok, I can make a new thread, just for bug reporting and some other user feedback!
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

EnochLight

11 Feb 2021

Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Didn't made a new thread, just made a reply to EnochLight about it the P1 panorama thread.
Don't have a demo, I will release it fully. I'm just adding the help section and other utilities, I think it's stable now.
If that's ok, I can make a new thread, just for bug reporting and some other user feedback!
I'm really looking forward to this app - thanks for contributing to the Reasontalk community! :thumbup: :clap:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Noise
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
I'm really looking forward to this app - thanks for contributing to the Reasontalk community! :thumbup: :clap:
I think i owe this much :thumbup:

Anyway, to answer to the topic, (since I hijacked this thread :P) I'm a new user of the Panorama P1 and I love it, the latest update from Nektar added various Re support. My only nitpick is the level of pressure of the buttons, didn't hurt if they were softer.

I would be nice if it had some graphical output, like volumes or another type metering in the LCD panel.
I've searched, and the P6 has the fader controller thing, which shows a volume meter (according to the manual), that's very nice.

If we could output the remote mapping that contain "proxy level output etc..." into a dedicated metering page, that would be amazing.
Last edited by Noise on 11 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

11 Feb 2021

Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
I've mentioned this in a another thread, I'm just finishing this little app, for creating Remotes mapping intuitively for the P1.
That's a cool looking app, will it work on a P6?

Noise
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
I really don't know, I'm using the mapping that comes by default with the Nektar P1 instalation.
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps\Nektar\PanoramaP1.remotemap

Abstract Chamber
https://vst4free.com/plugin/1220/

This is the output generated.
( I've choosed the smallest one :D )
If it's mapped ok, that's a green light.

Code: Select all

// ***************** REMAP.NOISESHADOW.COM > BETA ************** 
Scope	Signaldust	vst.A%EF%AAk.Abstract Chamber-x64
Define Group	Mode	Instrument	Mixer	Transport	Channel
Define Group	X_Mode	Default	
Define Group	Page	Home
Define Group	layout	home_view	knob_view	faders_view	mixer_view	pad_view	env_view
Define Group	Env_Focus	Env_view_2	Env_view_1

Map	Mixer Mode		Mode=Mixer
Map	Instrument Mode		Mode=Instrument
Map	Transport Mode		Mode=Transport
Map	Channel Mode		Mode=Channel

Map	Device Name		"Abstract Chamber-x64"		HOME
Map	Patch Name		"Abstract Chamber-x64"			Instrument
Map	Patch Down		Select Program Delta			Instrument
Map	Patch Up		Select Previous Program			Instrument
Map	Plugin View		Proxy Open Plugin Window			Instrument

Map	Bypass		Enabled					Instrument

Map	Display Default		0			Mixer
Map	Display Default		Page=Home			Instrument
Map	Instrument Mode		0			Instrument

Map	Name Element 1		"PreDelay"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 1		predel.		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 2		"R.Time"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 2		RT		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 3		"Mod"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 3		mod.		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 4		"LF Damp"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 4		LF cut		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 5		"HF cut"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 5		HF cut		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 6		"HF Decay"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 6		HF damp		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 8		"output"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 8		output		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	X1_Labeli		"mode"			Instrument	Home
Map	X1		mode		CTRL	Instrument	Home

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Feb 2021

I really don't know, I'm using the mapping that comes by default with the Nektar P1 instalation.
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps\Nektar\PanoramaP1.remotemap

Abstract Chamber
https://vst4free.com/plugin/1220/

This is the output generated.
( I've choosed the smallest one :D )
If it's mapped ok, that's a green light.

Code: Select all

// ***************** REMAP.NOISESHADOW.COM > BETA ************** 
Scope	Signaldust	vst.A%EF%AAk.Abstract Chamber-x64
Define Group	Mode	Instrument	Mixer	Transport	Channel
Define Group	X_Mode	Default	
Define Group	Page	Home
Define Group	layout	home_view	knob_view	faders_view	mixer_view	pad_view	env_view
Define Group	Env_Focus	Env_view_2	Env_view_1

Map	Mixer Mode		Mode=Mixer
Map	Instrument Mode		Mode=Instrument
Map	Transport Mode		Mode=Transport
Map	Channel Mode		Mode=Channel

Map	Device Name		"Abstract Chamber-x64"		HOME
Map	Patch Name		"Abstract Chamber-x64"			Instrument
Map	Patch Down		Select Program Delta			Instrument
Map	Patch Up		Select Previous Program			Instrument
Map	Plugin View		Proxy Open Plugin Window			Instrument

Map	Bypass		Enabled					Instrument

Map	Display Default		0			Mixer
Map	Display Default		Page=Home			Instrument
Map	Instrument Mode		0			Instrument

Map	Name Element 1		"PreDelay"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 1		predel.		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 2		"R.Time"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 2		RT		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 3		"Mod"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 3		mod.		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 4		"LF Damp"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 4		LF cut		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 5		"HF cut"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 5		HF cut		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 6		"HF Decay"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 6		HF damp		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	Name Element 8		"output"			Instrument	Home
Map	Ch Knob 8		output		NAME	Instrument	Home
Map	X1_Labeli		"mode"			Instrument	Home
Map	X1		mode		CTRL	Instrument	Home
Yes it will, the only difference between the mappings from the P1 and P6 is pitch bend and mod wheel confutations, so 99% of my mappings work on all P4, P6 and P1 devices. The fact the P1 does not have this means the mappings will work 100% that way around.
P1 to P6,P4 = 100%
P4,P6 = 99.95% you just have to remove the lines that reference pitch bend and Modulation wheel which is thankfully only a few mappings out of 3000+

Noise
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2021

Carly, this was heavily based on your contribution, I've studied that thing in and out, so, there's a lot of resemblance in my output.
Let's see if this weekend I can open up the domain with the app. Really made a few of them (remotes) in a jiffy.
I was getting worried not to use the p1 with full potential. I like the grab maps, but...I need some old fashioned remote mapping !

Billy+

11 Feb 2021

Noise wrote:
11 Feb 2021
Carly, this was heavily based on your contribution, I've studied that thing in and out, so, there's a lot of resemblance in my output.
Let's see if this weekend I can open up the domain with the app. Really made a few of them (remotes) in a jiffy.
I was getting worried not to use the p1 with full potential. I like the grab maps, but...I need some old fashioned remote mapping !
I'm thinking that this should definitely have a thread of its own, not sure of the best location but I'm sure a friendly mod will slide it into the best space.

• Information