Logic 10.5 is Out!!!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jwd606

13 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 May 2020

The RRP doesn't work in GarageBand.
The RRP does work in Garageband.

joeyluck

13 May 2020

jwd606 wrote:
13 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
13 May 2020

The RRP doesn't work in GarageBand.
The RRP does work in Garageband.
Sorry, poor wording on my part.

The RRP is not fully supported in GarageBand. Rack Extensions do not work with it (which is a huge thing) and there's a few other quirks and things that don't work.

teddymcw

13 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 May 2020
teddymcw wrote:
13 May 2020
Looks like there is some really interesting stuff in Logic that makes important things like transitions, groove matching and video syncing relatively easy. I may be prompted to mess around with this despite the draining time investment.

Does anyone know if one can access the Reason Rack from Garageband?

What are the killer features of Logic that anyone is finding just incomparably better than or even not doable at all in Reason?
For me it's MPE support. But even GarageBand has MPE support.

Also video support and score edit.
Interesting, makes sense based on past references. The DAW War has my head spinning, esp coming from Reason which does things differently for better and worse.

Looks like a near total convergence is coming sooner than later anyways.

Steedus
Competition Winner

14 May 2020

miscend wrote:
12 May 2020
Steedus wrote:
12 May 2020
Can the Reason Drum Sequencer do the thing with reversing playback for individual lanes? I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet.
It cannot, AFAIK is only possible if you print to the sequencer and use the midi notes reverse function.
Just wanted to pop back to say it does! I watched the intro/tutorial video again and there it is. Can even do the pendulum thing (forward and reverse etc), and you can shorten lanes. Gotta start using this thing! :D

miscend

16 May 2020

Steedus wrote:
14 May 2020
miscend wrote:
12 May 2020

It cannot, AFAIK is only possible if you print to the sequencer and use the midi notes reverse function.
Just wanted to pop back to say it does! I watched the intro/tutorial video again and there it is. Can even do the pendulum thing (forward and reverse etc), and you can shorten lanes. Gotta start using this thing! :D
You are right it does. I hadn't used it in ages.

stp2015

17 May 2020

Interesting to see how much "inspiration" Apple have drawn from Ableton and Reason. The quick sampler is very clearly a much improved mix of simpler and recycle, and the new "drum designer" is apart from the graphics very clearly inspired by Kong (also named drum designer). It has per-pad drum synths like kong, and it basically has a more flexible version of nurse rex using the quick sampler.

I wish Reason had a non-destructive sample slicer like quick sampler, that immediately maps the slices to the Keyboard. It also has time-stretch built in, and every pad can also be played chromatically if you go to its own lane in the sequencer. I am really torn here. I love Reason, but some things in Logic are so good now!

EdwardKiy

19 May 2020

So, in 2020 Logic finally has slightly beefed up Kong, NNXT and NN19 functionality? Cutting edge stuff. Congrats to them, I guess. :lol: :D :lol:

Yonatan

19 May 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
19 May 2020

So, in 2020 Logic finally has slightly beefed up Kong, NNXT and NN19 functionality? Cutting edge stuff. Congrats to them, I guess. :lol: :D :lol:
And in some way Reason got its own form of Drummer with the Beat Map, but in a more experimental approach, just as it should be. Nice to see they are being inspired by one another, but they all do it in their own ways.

stp2015

19 May 2020

Don't understand the grinch video :D

Either way, I would really like to have such an updated sampler. You are right, much of it already exists within Reason, so it should be easy for them to do such an update.

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

I find it funny but sad that Logic has a slicer, when the guys who practically invented slicing don't have one in their rack. DR OCTOREX is just a playback device. Quick Sampler is very Reasony, and you can even record into it. It should have been a Reason device a LONG time ago.

I just hope this lights some sort of fire under Reason Studios' butts. Most likely it won't. We'll get at the most 5 new features in R12, and all the Reason fanatics are going to be overly enthusiastically jumping for joy at goddamn track folders. And they'll of course be pointing out that all the "new" features are features that Reason sorely needed to catch up with the rest, making it the BEST REASON UPDATE EVER!. :| :roll:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

diminished
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
19 May 2020
I find it funny but sad that Logic has a slicer, when the guys who practically invented slicing don't have one in their rack. DR OCTOREX is just a playback device. Quick Sampler is very Reasony, and you can even record into it. It should have been a Reason device a LONG time ago.

I just hope this lights some sort of fire under Reason Studios' butts. Most likely it won't. We'll get at the most 5 new features in R12, and all the Reason fanatics are going to be overly enthusiastically jumping for joy at goddamn track folders. And they'll of course be pointing out that all the "new" features are features that Reason sorely needed to catch up with the rest, making it the BEST REASON UPDATE EVER!. :| :roll:
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
(inb4 someone calls you entitled, "stop whining" or tells you to move on with your life :D)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Yonatan

20 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
19 May 2020

Spot on!
And the unspoken rule that you must by all means state "I do really love Reason and been loyal. since..." to even say anything obviously objective fair points that dont just praise RS.
And even when stating "I love Reason" you get a shit storm of accuses from the Reason Orthodox Religion.

Did I just forget to mention I do really love Reason DAW?

But Logic just makes more and more sense.

teddymcw

20 May 2020

I've been trialing Logic since 10.5, tho I've had just enough time for a few small sessions thus far. There's definitely some 'wow, this is so much easier and/or cleaner feeling' flows in there, I've very much been enjoying it. The auto-drummer tweaking features are pretty amazing for getting jams and ideas down, esp for guitar and voice riffing imho. I haven't played with BeatMap just yet, great to hear it's a smiliar thing but from what I've seen I don't think it's quite as flexible or aimed at tweaking live sounding drum grooves as the Logic drummer. Reason def does stimulate more excitement and endless possiblities in my brain but I personally can get overly excited and messy. I've also been in Reason forever now without giving another DAW a go, so practicing away from home is a culture shock but refreshing as well.

I feel they are a great compliment to each other these days. Especially since the RRP update I feel like to DAWs and humans alike we can say, "hey family, we can all get along now, yahh."

fieldframe
RE Developer

20 May 2020

Having used the trial for awhile, I came to the conclusion that Logic isn't for me, at least for now.

It was certainly a rough start. After a couple of different tutorials and seemingly half an hour of menu diving to get tap tempo working, I gained a better appreciation of what the "pro" in Logic Pro means. The app is vast. I felt kind of like I'd been set loose in a big studio with no head engineer, and had to admit that despite everything I've picked up over a number of years, I'm no engineer myself.

If I were putting together a studio, I'd absolutely go with Logic. But as a bedroom producer working in the box... it's way, way more than I need. The low price is deceptive. Even the bundled instruments and effects, which are tempting, aren't really something I need given that's the one area I'm already spoilt for between the Reason Rack Plugin, Arturia, and other VSTs.

Ironically, this story ends with me buying Ableton Live. I'd wanted to get into a clip-based workflow for some time, and I wanted to wait to see what Logic offered first before upgrading from Live Lite. Logic's Live Loops are an interesting take on Session View, and I like some of the decisions Apple made, but it also made me realize I prefer how Ableton does it. And it's wild just how much simpler Live is versus Logic – it literally feels like it has 1% of the complexity.

Ableton feels like software designed primarily for working in the box, that can expand to become the center of a studio if you need it. Logic is the other way around: It feels like software primarily for bringing a whole studio together, that can work just in the box if you're away from the studio.

tronam

20 May 2020

fieldframe wrote:
20 May 2020
Having used the trial for awhile, I came to the conclusion that Logic isn't for me, at least for now.

It was certainly a rough start. After a couple of different tutorials and seemingly half an hour of menu diving to get tap tempo working, I gained a better appreciation of what the "pro" in Logic Pro means. The app is vast. I felt kind of like I'd been set loose in a big studio with no head engineer, and had to admit that despite everything I've picked up over a number of years, I'm no engineer myself.

If I were putting together a studio, I'd absolutely go with Logic. But as a bedroom producer working in the box... it's way, way more than I need. The low price is deceptive. Even the bundled instruments and effects, which are tempting, aren't really something I need given that's the one area I'm already spoilt for between the Reason Rack Plugin, Arturia, and other VSTs.

Ironically, this story ends with me buying Ableton Live. I'd wanted to get into a clip-based workflow for some time, and I wanted to wait to see what Logic offered first before upgrading from Live Lite. Logic's Live Loops are an interesting take on Session View, and I like some of the decisions Apple made, but it also made me realize I prefer how Ableton does it. And it's wild just how much simpler Live is versus Logic – it literally feels like it has 1% of the complexity.

Ableton feels like software designed primarily for working in the box, that can expand to become the center of a studio if you need it. Logic is the other way around: It feels like software primarily for bringing a whole studio together, that can work just in the box if you're away from the studio.
Yeah, DAWs like Logic, Cubase, ProTools and Digital Performer all share an old school lineage built on decades of feature creep. Though beloved by veterans for their depth and flexibility, the barrier to entry has gotten thicker and thicker over the years. I seem to return to Cubase every few years or so and always have to spend several hours trying to relearn how to use it. Ableton Live's flat minimalist design ethos is probably one of the boldest repudiations of typical DAW complexity and industry skeuomorphism that's ever been successfully pulled off. It's kind of amazing how successful it has been and I like that Ableton has tried to preserve their aesthetic over the years as they add new functionality. I've written a lot of music in Live, but still prefer Logic for scoring projects and is what I used most of the time these days (now using Reason as a plug-in).
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

joeyluck

09 Jun 2020

So I finally upgraded to Mojave so I could work on a project that is using Logic 10.5.

I had maybe 15 days left of the 90 day Logic trial.

I started up Logic 10.5 just now and it tells me I have 90 days remaining! I wonder if that will actually be the case.

Is this because of the update to the OS? The update to Logic? If I can get a new 90 days every time Logic is updated, that might be enough for the how much I am using it currently lol.

ksniod

09 Jun 2020

joeyluck wrote:
09 Jun 2020
So I finally upgraded to Mojave so I could work on a project that is using Logic 10.5.

I had maybe 15 days left of the 90 day Logic trial.

I started up Logic 10.5 just now and it tells me I have 90 days remaining! I wonder if that will actually be the case.

Is this because of the update to the OS? The update to Logic? If I can get a new 90 days every time Logic is updated, that might be enough for the how much I am using it currently lol.
AFAIK there has been a reset of the trial with the release of the new version (10.5)

Heater

09 Jun 2020

I’ve been using the trail version. The auto sampler is a game changer for me. It’s awesome.

joeyluck

06 Jan 2021

So Logic 10.5 required me to update to macOS 10.14 (Mojave). I did that and I used the 90 day trial. I was considering buying Logic, but it's telling me now that 10.15 (Catalina) is required... That was quick. Several OS upgrade requirements within the same major version of Logic. I'm not looking to upgrade to Catalina. I'm guessing other Logic users have made the move? Or are you still on Mojave with the latest compatible version of Logic?

jwd606

06 Jan 2021

I'm still on EL Capitan and 10.3. Progress is overrated.

joeyluck

06 Jan 2021

jwd606 wrote:
06 Jan 2021
I'm still on EL Capitan and 10.3. Progress is overrated.
Yeah, however there seems to be no option to begin with an older version of Logic. You have to be on Catalina to purchase it from the app store.

Billy+

06 Jan 2021

Anyone using it on the new M1 macs?

I'm under the impression that it runs native now but that it will not run vst's etc that aren't native builds?

teddymcw

06 Jan 2021

I’m on Catalina with one comp and Mojave with the other, each running logic 11.5 and Reason 11.3 seemingly just fine if that helps. Though I haven’t been getting a ton of use out of either of late.

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2021

I moved from Mojave to Catalina only to stay current and use Logic 10.6. This has been my standard operating procedure - Logic dictates my OS move. And yes, the latest version of Logic requires Catalina and above. Didn't want to do it because Mojave was treating me amazingly well, however, sooner or later Logic is going to get another must-have, killer (and free) update so it pays to stay current with its requirements. Nothing on my system broke, thank goodness. Anxiously waiting the next big update...
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

06 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
06 Jan 2021
I moved from Mojave to Catalina only to stay current and use Logic 10.6. This has been my standard operating procedure - Logic dictates my OS move. And yes, the latest version of Logic requires Catalina and above. Didn't want to do it because Mojave was treating me amazingly well, however, sooner or later Logic is going to get another must-have, killer (and free) update so it pays to stay current with its requirements. Nothing on my system broke, thank goodness. Anxiously waiting the next big update...
Ok great! Good to know :thumbs_up:

I think one thing about Catalina that seemed handy was Sidecar, so that would be cool to have.

• Information