What recently inspired you ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gritz

01 Jan 2021

Following my fathers recent and unexpected death and COVID lockdowns I was looking after my mother at her house away from my home . Late nights and very little else to do I was writing a lot of music scanning old loops and remixing old half completed tracks.

I was doing a hell of a lot more stuff experimenting and just playing around - what has helped you recently to get more stuff done ..?

BRIGGS

01 Jan 2021

Sorry about your loss. :puf_unhappy:

Mp3 export (due to small file size) helps me listen without having reason open. I take mental notes then open the project and make changes based on listening only. :puf_smile:
r11s

Tiny Montgomery

02 Jan 2021

Sorry for your loss Gritz.

This year I've really enjoyed watching music being made on live streams, e.g. our very own Adam Fielding and I've really started to enjoy the Disclosure streams. What they both have in common is a producer who works fast and gets good results quickly AND, quite importantly in these times, a happy and welcoming vibe! Got myself a twitch account but will usually watch them after the fact on YouTube. On a Saturday morning or whatever when I know I'm going to have time to do music I might put one of these on while I drink coffee and smoke a small something to get in the mood.

I do the MP3 thing too in Reason & Live Briggs! It also make the file smaller for sharing with a friend or collaborator.

miyaru

02 Jan 2021

Sorry for your loss, that is tough......

I find myself doing nothing in my musicroom these days, not being inspired at all....... Had a bad time too, but won't bother anyone with that.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2021

Same here. The irony with it all is that 2021 must be better than 2020 because I hardly have any friends or family left who can die. Fckxs sake.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2021

And you know what. I wasn’t going to get into this on a public forum but we all know each other now. 6 close friends, 3 aunties, one uncle and at the moment my mum is lying on a hospital bed on a morphine pump just waiting to die of cancer. Fucjjhgv it. That’s how fhhjkng pissed off I am now. !!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miyaru

02 Jan 2021

I'm sorry for Mr Figg, wish you strenght and wishdom to overcome these days.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2021

miyaru wrote:
02 Jan 2021
I'm sorry for Mr Figg, wish you strenght and wishdom to overcome these days.......
Thanks man. Appreciate it. It’ll be fine.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

02 Jan 2021

Damn MrFigg. Wishing you strength for the new year!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2021

motuscott wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Damn MrFigg. Wishing you strength for the new year!
Thanks. X. Yeah it’s been a right clunt of a year.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

02 Jan 2021

Stay focused on good things.
r11s

PhillipOrdonez

02 Jan 2021

Figg... 😱😞🤗🤗🤗😞

Faastwalker

02 Jan 2021

Sorry to hear your news. Yes, 2020 has been a shit year for motivation. Lost my brother-in-law and best mate to cancer mid way through the year. And with all the other stuff going on it was far from a good year.

Anyway, Eurorack and getting away from the screen has been very inspiring. I've not done much stuff of any use as I'm still learning what I'm doing! But it's fun to play and I'll take that as inspiration right now ;-)

StrokerX

04 Jan 2021

Lately it's been all about indie bedroom pop singers like Clairo, Chloe, Tessa & just lots of girls lately like Maggie Rogers. A back to basics songwriting vibe has really been grabbing me lately. Sorry about your loss. You can def channel that into some beauty. But yeah... I don't think I've been into this sound since like Fiona Apple Never is a Promise days but i'm back up in it! ;)

jam-s

04 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Same here. The irony with it all is that 2021 must be better than 2020 because I hardly have any friends or family left who can die. Fckxs sake.
I hope this might give you at least a little laugh in this mess:

challism

05 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
And you know what. I wasn’t going to get into this on a public forum but we all know each other now. 6 close friends, 3 aunties, one uncle and at the moment my mum is lying on a hospital bed on a morphine pump just waiting to die of cancer. Fucjjhgv it. That’s how fhhjkng pissed off I am now. !!
That's awful. I'm sorry for all your losses. It must be very hard to deal with all that. I would be pissed off too. Seems like an unfair amount of grief for one person to bear. Hang in there and know that we are here for you.
jam-s wrote:
04 Jan 2021
MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2021

What kind of crappy reply is this? The man shares some pain with us and you reply with Sxck My Dxck 2020? Are you serious?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2021

challism wrote:
05 Jan 2021
MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
That's awful. I'm sorry for all your losses. It must be very hard to deal with all that. I would be pissed off too. Seems like an unfair amount of grief for one person to bear. Hang in there and know that we are here for you.
jam-s wrote:
04 Jan 2021

What kind of crappy reply is this? The man shares some pain with us and you reply with Sxck My Dxck 2020? Are you serious?
Thanks Challism. Appreciate it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

05 Jan 2021

My go-to for inspiration is to forget about goals & finished tracks, just pull out a RE or VST that I'm not very familiar with and take a deep dive into the manual. Never failed me yet

jam-s

06 Jan 2021

challism wrote:
05 Jan 2021

No, that was sarcasm. An uncle of mine is in the ICU due to corona as well. Not sure if he'll make it. So I think I can relate (at least a little bit). :cry:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2021

jam-s wrote:
06 Jan 2021
challism wrote:
05 Jan 2021

No, that was sarcasm. An uncle of mine is in the ICU due to corona as well. Not sure if he'll make it. So I think I can relate (at least a little bit). :cry:
Jam-S, I didn’t reply to your initial comment because i was trying to see it from the point of view that you maybe meant well. Maybe you did but I feel I have to say that “sarcasm” as you put it is not particularly comforting for me at the moment. I actually don’t know how you or those around you deal with grief but I would think that for the most part sarcasm wouldn’t be my first response. As I said I have literally lost nearly all of my close friends and four family members. Corona involved in only three cases. My mother will die within the next few days and I am in another country unable to travel. The sense of loss I’m feeling is probably nothing in comparison to the parents of my friends, their brothers and sisters. And I have to look on and see and hear their grief too and not be able to take their pain away. I woke up in the middle of the night now and read your comment. Please consider that if you meet people suffering loss or grief or pain for whatever other reason that sarcasm may not be the most appropriate or effective way to give them relief from that.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

06 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2021

Jam-S, I didn’t reply to your initial comment because i was trying to see it from the point of view that you maybe meant well. Maybe you did but I feel I have to say that “sarcasm” as you put it is not particularly comforting for me at the moment. I actually don’t know how you or those around you deal with grief but I would think that for the most part sarcasm wouldn’t be my first response. As I said I have literally lost nearly all of my close friends and four family members. Corona involved in only three cases. My mother will die within the next few days and I am in another country unable to travel. The sense of loss I’m feeling is probably nothing in comparison to the parents of my friends, their brothers and sisters. And I have to look on and see and hear their grief too and not be able to take their pain away. I woke up in the middle of the night now and read your comment. Please consider that if you meet people suffering loss or grief or pain for whatever other reason that sarcasm may not be the most appropriate or effective way to give them relief from that.
Dear MrFigg, I'm deeply sorry my comment didn't have the intended effect of cheering you up. Projecting my feelings towards the past year 2020 onto your situation was off as it seems. So please accept my condolences.
I interpreted your post from above ("The irony with it all is that 2021 must be better than 2020 because I hardly have any friends or family left who can die. Fckxs sake.") like you'd also be on the sarcasm trip to dealing with your grief and that you'd perhaps appreciate to have some additional way to vent some anger at the past year.

So all I can do now is to also wish you strength and whatever comforts you. Also quite a lot of really great emotional music was inspired out of personal tragedy after all. All the best and sorry if that video offended you as that was certainly not my intention.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2021

jam-s wrote:
06 Jan 2021
MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2021

Dear MrFigg, I'm deeply sorry my comment didn't have the intended effect of cheering you up. Projecting my feelings towards the past year 2020 onto your situation was off as it seems. So please accept my condolences.
I interpreted your post from above ("The irony with it all is that 2021 must be better than 2020 because I hardly have any friends or family left who can die. Fckxs sake.") like you'd also be on the sarcasm trip to dealing with your grief and that you'd perhaps appreciate to have some additional way to vent some anger at the past year.

So all I can do now is to also wish you strength and whatever comforts you. Also quite a lot of really great emotional music was inspired out of personal tragedy after all. All the best and sorry if that video offended you as that was certainly not my intention.
I figured that. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Chiet that's hard! Stay strong man!!!! Use that for music! It helps, believe me!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2021

I've found a new love relation with my EWI USB and that has made me more and more active in improvising and making new stuff. Sometimes, I do covers with the EWI, other times, new music but that thing with reason is an amazing piece of fun gear!!!

Basically stuff like this...

Or improvising as i did in this friktion and ewi video:
Last edited by mcatalao on 07 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2021

mcatalao wrote:
07 Jan 2021
MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Chiet that's hard! Stay strong man!!!! Use that for music! It helps, believe me!
Thanks man. Guitar is a savior.
I’m starting to feel I hijacked this thread. Apologies to original poster.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information