RRP - how to force pattern restart in players

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
zabukowski

02 Jan 2021

This is working automatically (properly) in Reason. With every automated pattern change in sequencer, pattern in player is (re)started from the beginning (regardless of position inside bar).

When using RRP, pattern changes, but then, new pattern is not restarted - it continues to play from current position.

Any ideas?

antic604

02 Jan 2021

zabukowski wrote:
02 Jan 2021
This is working automatically (properly) in Reason. With every automated pattern change in sequencer, pattern in player is (re)started from the beginning (regardless of position inside bar).

When using RRP, pattern changes, but then, new pattern is not restarted - it continues to play from current position.

Any ideas?
Which DAW you're using and which Player? I don't think I ever noticed that, but admittedly I only used RRP in other DAWs for testing and not anything serious.

Would be easier to test if you could be more concrete :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

zabukowski

02 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
02 Jan 2021
zabukowski wrote:
02 Jan 2021

Any ideas?
Which DAW you're using and which Player? I don't think I ever noticed that, but admittedly I only used RRP in other DAWs for testing and not anything serious.

Would be easier to test if you could be more concrete :)
Sorry ... working in Reaper 6.19. Also Nuendo 10.3 is exposing the same behavior.

Using "Drum Sequencer" and "PolyStep Sequencer" players (the latest RRP).

Thx!

antic604

02 Jan 2021

zabukowski wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Sorry ... working in Reaper 6.19. Also Nuendo 10.3 is exposing the same behavior.

Dzięki! :P

I can't be arsed to install Cubase Pro 11 again, but will check in Studio One 5.1 and report back in an hour or two :)
Music tech enthusiast.

zabukowski

02 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
02 Jan 2021
zabukowski wrote:
02 Jan 2021

Dzięki! :P

I can't be arsed to install Cubase Pro 11 again, but will check in Studio One 5.1 and report back in an hour or two :)
Thank you!

Btw, for comparision, i've checked Redrum pattern automation and it's working properly - new pattern is always playing from the start.

antic604

02 Jan 2021

zabukowski wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Btw, for comparision, i've checked Redrum pattern automation and it's working properly - new pattern is always playing from the start.
Ok, I've checked in Studio One 5.1 and indeed Players' patterns don't reset :(
It behaves exactly the same as if you would - in Reason - cut a pattern clip in half and changed the pattern # for the 2nd half.

I cannot make it re-trigger in the middle of the bar :(
Best bet is to put player on one track, instrument on the other and just record the MIDI and then use the clips.
Music tech enthusiast.

drk73

03 Jan 2021

zabukowski

03 Jan 2021

drk73 wrote:
03 Jan 2021
viewforum.php?f=66
Thanks, i've somehow overlooked it.

Moderator, can you please this thread to "General Reason - Rack Plugin (RRP)" forum - thanks!

drk73

03 Jan 2021

...i've somehow overlooked it.
No problems!
For sure, there you will recieve more answers.

zabukowski

03 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
02 Jan 2021
zabukowski wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Ok, I've checked in Studio One 5.1 and indeed Players' patterns don't reset :(
It behaves exactly the same as if you would - in Reason - cut a pattern clip in half and changed the pattern # for the 2nd half.

I cannot make it re-trigger in the middle of the bar :(
Best bet is to put player on one track, instrument on the other and just record the MIDI and then use the clips.
Using clips is always a solution. But it would be much more comfortable, if this would work as expected.

I wonder if this is a bug or a "feature". If it's later, there must be a special reason for this behavior.

Anyone else could shed a light?

zabukowski

05 Jan 2021

I've contacted support about this issue. Their initial feedback is, that it could be a bug. Let's hope for a quick fix.

antic604

05 Jan 2021

zabukowski wrote:
05 Jan 2021
I've contacted support about this issue. Their initial feedback is, that it could be a bug. Let's hope for a quick fix.
Doubt it's a bug, really.

In Reason the DAW knows 2 things based on pattern lane:
- which pattern is currently active
- at which point of pattern clip the playhead is

So for example if you draw a 1-bar long pattern clip, split it in half and change the pattern number for the 2nd half Reason will play 1st half of 1st pattern and 2nd half of 2nd pattern. You'd have to actually draw the 2nd pattern clip from the start halfway through for it to play 2nd pattern from the start at half of a bar.

In RRP there's no pattern lane, so it only "knows" the 1st situation, or could be forced to always re-trigger a pattern when automation changes it, but that wouldn't be ideal either. Also it shouldn't be locked to transport, i.e. that it always changes pattern at equal bar or something.

Frankly, they should simply add a button (or CV) to reset pattern to play from beginning.
Music tech enthusiast.

zabukowski

05 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
05 Jan 2021
zabukowski wrote:
05 Jan 2021
Doubt it's a bug, really.

In Reason the DAW knows 2 things based on pattern lane:
- which pattern is currently active
- at which point of pattern clip the playhead is

So for example if you draw a 1-bar long pattern clip, split it in half and change the pattern number for the 2nd half Reason will play 1st half of 1st pattern and 2nd half of 2nd pattern. You'd have to actually draw the 2nd pattern clip from the start halfway through for it to play 2nd pattern from the start at half of a bar.

In RRP there's no pattern lane, so it only "knows" the 1st situation, or could be forced to always re-trigger a pattern when automation changes it, but that wouldn't be ideal either. Also it shouldn't be locked to transport, i.e. that it always changes pattern at equal bar or something.

Frankly, they should simply add a button (or CV) to reset pattern to play from beginning.
Thanks for explanation ... it makes perfect sense. :thumbs_up:
So for example if you draw a 1-bar long pattern clip, split it in half and change the pattern number for the 2nd half Reason will play 1st half of 1st pattern and 2nd half of 2nd pattern.
I somehow overlooked this. Now that i know it, i am also sure it's not a bug.

I like the idea of button/CV :thumbs_up:

• Information