Tribute Wavetable Synthesizer Song Challenge - Prizes for top 3 songs and all participants entered into a drawing!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
joeyluck

12 Dec 2020

Speo Music and ReasonTalk are very excited to announce the Tribute Wavetable Synthesizer Song Challenge! Enter for a chance to win Tribute as well as all of the other Speo Music Rack Extensions! There’s even a chance to win Tribute just by participating! :)

Prizes
  • First prize: All 3 of the Speo Music REs (Tribute, Trust, and Frame CV)
  • Second prize: Tribute and 1 Speo Music RE of your choice
  • Third prize: Tribute
  • Participation drawing: Tribute
    • All participants who submit a song into the competition will be entered to win Tribute in a random drawing.
    • You must provide your Reason Studios username along with your submission before the deadline to be eligible.

Songs for this challenge will not be submitted by posting to this thread.
You are welcome to share your songs here at any point, but that is not a requirement.
Songs will be submitted via a Google Form.

For the full rules and access to the Google Form, please go here:
https://www.reasontalk.com/2020/12/trib ... challenge/

Songs must be submitted by 23:59:59 PST on January 10 (before 12:00AM / 00:00 PST January 11).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2020

Read through the rules. I really like that we can use any effects for this one. I've missed that option for some challenges. :thumbs_up:

Just to be clear before diving into this. Using drum samples/loops from Kong, Redrum, Rytmik, DrOctoRex, Umpf is fine right? It wasn't mentioned so I assume it's ok?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Dec 2020
Read through the rules. I really like that we can use any effects for this one. I've missed that option for some challenges. :thumbs_up:

Just to be clear before diving into this. Using drum samples/loops from Kong, Redrum, Rytmik, DrOctoRex, Umpf is fine right? It wasn't mentioned so I assume it's ok?
Guitar, bass, vocals?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

13 Dec 2020

All synth sounds should originate from Tribute. Everything else goes! But don't forget what the focus of the challenge is ;)

zoidkirb

19 Dec 2020

Are chopped Amen breaks considered acceptable samples?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2020

So here's my entry.
All sounds are generated with the Tribute synth. Used one FX sample from Reasons drum supply and ran it through Tribute to create the noise sweeps. Other than that there are no samples other than the ones included in the synth itself.
The master volume might be a little low. But I really wanted this song to breathe and feel open. The last thing I wanted to do was to squash it. So there's only very gentle limiting on this track. But there's always the volume knob if one likes it loud.

Really enjoyed working with this synth. Will definitely use it again.

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 20 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

EpiGenetik

19 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 Dec 2020
All synth sounds should originate from Tribute. Everything else goes! But don't forget what the focus of the challenge is ;)
For the sake of clarity, what is the position on 3rd party wavetables? Just like IR's there is literally 1000's of these kickin about on the web and they're always free but from small vendors and private collections you can't vouch for the integrity of.

I'm loving the synth so far, but the WT selection that it has so far is pretty limited, and for me to continue I need to be able to access the larger libraries or at least create my own - and creating our own obviously implies that we need to prove it is our own.

What's the thinking on this?

Cheers,
B

joeyluck

19 Dec 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
19 Dec 2020
Are chopped Amen breaks considered acceptable samples?
I would lean towards suggesting to use something else :)

joeyluck

19 Dec 2020

EpiGenetik wrote:
19 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
13 Dec 2020
For the sake of clarity, what is the position on 3rd party wavetables? Just like IR's there is literally 1000's of these kickin about on the web and they're always free but from small vendors and private collections you can't vouch for the integrity of.

I'm loving the synth so far, but the WT selection that it has so far is pretty limited, and for me to continue I need to be able to access the larger libraries or at least create my own - and creating our own obviously implies that we need to prove it is our own.

What's the thinking on this?

Cheers,
B
Using other wavetables inside Tribute is absolutely ok! That's part of the fun with Tribute. You can even create your own using Tribute.

Of course always be sure if you are using samples in your song or Wavetables from a third party inside Tribute, that it is legit and you have the rights to use it.

joeyluck

27 Dec 2020

Hope everyone is enjoying the the holidays! Just a heads up that there's about two weeks remaining.

Don't forget that everyone who enters will have a chance to win Tribute in a drawing :)

You can keep an eye on the countdown timer at the bottom of the announcement.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2020

Where is everyone? I know that posting here in this thread isn't how you enter the challenge, but still. If I remember correctly there's usually lots of people sharing their songs in the challenge thread, even when that's not the way to submit your entry.
Yes there is still plenty of time left, but I just thought that by this time more people would have posted songs here. Maybe it was bad timing to have a song challenge during christmas?

Loque

30 Dec 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
30 Dec 2020
Where is everyone? I know that posting here in this thread isn't how you enter the challenge, but still. If I remember correctly there's usually lots of people sharing their songs in the challenge thread, even when that's not the way to submit your entry.
Yes there is still plenty of time left, but I just thought that by this time more people would have posted songs here. Maybe it was bad timing to have a song challenge during christmas?
I am currently playing around with it and i will post my test song today here, but it's out of competition since i cannot participate.

I am wondering too, where are all the dubstep heads?
Reason12, Win10

zoidkirb

30 Dec 2020

Just checking in.
I'm still chipping away at my song so I won't post until I'm done :)

Loque

30 Dec 2020

Here is my test track. Nothing fancy, just some random written down ideas, some patch-experiments and playing around. Not really mixed.

The sounds came all from Tribute, except a few percussion sounds. FX are all Reason stock, just the mastering and some (true peak) limiting was done with other devices.

Track is out of comptetition! Just my experiment!

Have fun!

Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
30 Dec 2020
Here is my test track. Nothing fancy, just some random written down ideas, some patch-experiments and playing around. Not really mixed.

The sounds came all from Tribute, except a few percussion sounds. FX are all Reason stock, just the mastering and some (true peak) limiting was done with other devices.

Track is out of comptetition! Just my experiment!

Have fun!

Cool stuff! :thumbs_up:

Loque

31 Dec 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
30 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
30 Dec 2020
Cool stuff! :thumbs_up:
Thanks!
Reason12, Win10

TheDragonborg

02 Jan 2021

How are we supposed to use Tribute for all the synth sounds when you don't have it? The demo version?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2021

TheDragonborg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
How are we supposed to use Tribute for all the synth sounds when you don't have it? The demo version?
Yes. You can trial any rack extension for 30 days in the Reason Studios Shop. That’s how we use a synth during these song challenges.

TheDragonborg

02 Jan 2021

Well I've started something (just completed a Goa and Psytrance album so I'm kind of in that mindset right now lol)...

Going to flesh it out... I guess if I don't win I might just buy it... to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it until I started playing around with the CV inputs and those wave controls... but after that WOW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2021

TheDragonborg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Well I've started something (just completed a Goa and Psytrance album so I'm kind of in that mindset right now lol)...

Going to flesh it out... I guess if I don't win I might just buy it... to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it until I started playing around with the CV inputs and those wave controls... but after that WOW.
Nice :thumbs_up:
Have you played around with the filter section yet? Lots of fun stuff to explore there too.

Loque

02 Jan 2021

TheDragonborg wrote:
02 Jan 2021

Remember to register in the Google form. Posting here is not enough.
Reason12, Win10

TheDragonborg

02 Jan 2021

I'm not done with it yet lol

TheDragonborg

02 Jan 2021

Just to ask.. . is it alright to sample Tribute and stick it into a NN-XT or other samplers? Or is there a limit... like basic samplers being fine but something more complex like Iris 2 would not be?

joeyluck

02 Jan 2021

TheDragonborg wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Just to ask.. . is it alright to sample Tribute and stick it into a NN-XT or other samplers? Or is there a limit... like basic samplers being fine but something more complex like Iris 2 would not be?
The rules are that all synth sounds must originate from Tribute. This is to allow things such as chopping of synth loops in created in Tribute in the sequencer. The instance of Tribute which is sampled must also remain in the project.

That said, I do think loading into another synth like Iris 2, is making things complicated and straying away from having the focus be on Tribute. In that instance, the sound essentially becomes that of another synth.

Bouncing to tracks and chopping loops is ok. Loading sounds into simple playback samplers like Kong or NNXT for triggering is ok. But completely reinventing the sound by using the samples in another synth is something that should be avoided.

zoidkirb

04 Jan 2021

Here's mine. I've got no idea how to upload on my artists page for Soundcloud (which was set up by my old distro and I have no access to) so Bandcamp it is.
All up , 14 instances of Tribute. I only really scratched the surface with sound design on this one, and got caught up more in the song structure. But it's a great design tool, and really quick to come up with ideas for. I avoided using automation and relied on Tribute's built in mod matrix, partly as a challenge to myself and partly because I've started to move away from automation in general recently. Very minimal use of FX too: Just a hint of RV700 and Echo in a couple of spots was needed besides some EQ and compression in the mixing stage.

• Information