2020 was Reason's best year ever, apparently!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

01 Jan 2021

Well, well! That's really great to hear & makes me hopeful & eagerly looking to the future! :clap:

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MannequinRaces

01 Jan 2021

I’m not surprised by this at all. The doomsayers might be though!

Billy+

01 Jan 2021

Yeah it seams that lots of people took up creative arts like music in some way shape or form during the year.

Jackjackdaw

01 Jan 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
01 Jan 2021
I’m not surprised by this at all. The doomsayers might be though!
It's a sinking ship! A dead platform! RRP was an admission of defeat, an exit strategy! VST's will be the death of Reason!

:lol:

I hope that with the coffers nice and full, RS can continue to work on this great product. Bring some extra quality of life updates with the hd graphics and continue putting out inspirational devices that make music making so enjoyable!

moggadeet

01 Jan 2021

Glad to hear that :puf_smile: The fact that there has been more activity in the shop recently was kind of a hint.

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2021

More Reason users because of all the free Reason Lites that went out, and more people using "Reason" in the form of the RRP, not necessarily the DAW, plus the high sales record could be as low as $1 more than the last sales record, technically. So, show me the numbers, Niklas.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

xylyx

01 Jan 2021

I suspect it was the RRP that had a big influence on this - allowing Reason users the chance to use their REs and refills in other DAWs - it will be interesting to see whether this continues with the release of v12.

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2021

Also it's a notice from Verdane to potential buyers. "Hey look we're doing really amazingly well, you should buy us!"
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

01 Jan 2021

Congratulation! Keep it up!
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

01 Jan 2021

<doomsayer mode>Meh, that's just all the people paying their exit tax for their REs on the RRP!</doomsayer mode> *jk*

PhillipOrdonez

01 Jan 2021

Very happy for Reason studios 🤗

esselfortium

01 Jan 2021

Great to hear, looking forward to what 2021 brings!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

BRIGGS

01 Jan 2021

I think Ryan's regular/consistent live stream, is a huge standout and factor for the success.

A+ marketing :puf_smile:
r11s

16161d

01 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
01 Jan 2021
I think Ryan's regular/consistent live stream, is a huge standout and factor for the success.

A+ marketing :puf_smile:
The livestreams are sooooo good, only just discovered them a few weeks ago and been binging a lot of them since. It definitely got me back into a using Reason a bit more and upgrading to R11. But even if I’m not working on anything, Ryan is just awesome to listen to.

PhillipOrdonez

01 Jan 2021

Indeed, Ryan's hard work paid off! Great stuff on those streams, looking forward to season two!

Jackjackdaw

01 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
01 Jan 2021
More Reason users because of all the free Reason Lites that went out, and more people using "Reason" in the form of the RRP, not necessarily the DAW, plus the high sales record could be as low as $1 more than the last sales record, technically. So, show me the numbers, Niklas.
So it's only successful/not abandonware if it's totally underground, unmarketed and wildly more profitable than it has ever been in its history, it's users use only Reason and nothing else, ever, and by no means should it be spoken of as a valuable commodity by it's ceo.

What do you need to see numbers for? You want to be their accountant? I don't get why you spend your time coming on a forum that has like twenty active enthusiast users to trash talk a product that everyone is largely satisfied with except yourself. Why not just buy something else and use that instead of carping on?

dioxide

01 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
01 Jan 2021
Also it's a notice from Verdane to potential buyers. "Hey look we're doing really amazingly well, you should buy us!"
Exactly. Fattening up the Xmas goose for the market.

Goriila Texas

01 Jan 2021

RRP saved them imo because that's the only reason I came back.

fieldframe
RE Developer

01 Jan 2021

This is great news in part because it's more validation for the business to focus on the core product of Reason, as opposed to some of the side projects over the past decade that have largely fizzled out.

Even with some dated aspects, it's amazing how enduring Reason is. Now that it works as well with other tools as it does by itself, I suppose it's not a surprise that it's selling better than ever.

teddymcw

01 Jan 2021

Yep, I actually have always had continued faith in the core Reason decision makers, even with VC involved as of late.

I even have faith the stand-alone application will climb to more than adequate standards while getting very cool players / options from the ecosystem along the way. How long the full maturity process of the stand-alone will take? I I think in practice that really becomes another matter almost entirely, however. Long as they keep the progress up rather than any semblance of perfection they shouldn't alienate too many of their base ie: me / us.

DougalDarkly

01 Jan 2021

Whether this is good news or bad news depends completely on your perspective.

It definitely does cement the idea that they don't need to update the software in any of the ways suggested by (parts of) their user base - Combinator 2, Track Folders, Auto Punch-in, sequencer 'improvements', GUI DPI update etc etc etc (it's a long list!) - they didn't need to do any of these things to set their "all time high sales record" - they just needed to make it so you don't need to use, or think of, Reason as a DAW at all any more.

For some users that's great news, for others it's really not.

xonox

01 Jan 2021

That's good news! I hope they keep on enhancing Reason as a stand alone product. I'm glad they made the rack VST plugin since it brings more users to Reason but i'm not about to switch to another DAW.

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
01 Jan 2021
hurricane wrote:
01 Jan 2021
So it's only successful/not abandonware if it's totally underground, unmarketed and wildly more profitable than it has ever been in its history, it's users use only Reason and nothing else, ever, and by no means should it be spoken of as a valuable commodity by it's ceo.

What do you need to see numbers for? You want to be their accountant? I don't get why you spend your time coming on a forum that has like twenty active enthusiast users to trash talk a product that everyone is largely satisfied with except yourself. Why not just buy something else and use that instead of carping on?
Where do you see the trash talk, bro? Quote me exactly.

FYI - In my other life I work in data analytics. One of my responsibilities is to track, analyze, and compile sales data. I've created a shit-ton of sales reports. I know how these people talk and how they use data to tell "stories". Anytime I hear "all time high sales record" it makes me raise an eyebrow and say "Oh really? Show me."

You can believe everything you read if you want.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

antic604

01 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
01 Jan 2021
...One of my responsibilities is to track, analyze, and compile sales data. I've created a shit-ton of sales reports. I know how these people talk and how they use data to tell "stories". Anytime I hear "all time high sales record" it makes me raise an eyebrow and say "Oh really? Show me."

You can believe everything you read if you want.
Yup. Such statements should always be taken with a grain of salt.

For one - "record sales" mean nothing without knowing if they're talking about revenue, profit margin or number of pieces/items sold. We have no idea about their costs - maybe they're also highest ever?

Second - it stands to reason to expect most of the music production industry did well this year, with people sitting at home / wasting less time commuting and spending money on DAWs, plugins, sample/preset packs.

Third - the guy is a CEO who got the seat by getting appointed by VC. I doubt he cares or even understands Reason. He's just advertising their investment's doing well ;)

--------------------------

All that aside, this information makes me happy because there's a chance it's all really true and they'll double down on the DAW and REs in coming months & years. Fingers crossed! :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

QVprod

01 Jan 2021

Not understanding the “it’s only marketing for potential buyers” statements. If it’s the case, A buyer would only buy something if it was of value. Which would mean they’re doing well. I’m sure buyers or investors would have access to financial statements as needed.

But to us users, does it really matter? As long as Reason exists, I can use it. I don’t care about the intricate details.

Nonetheless, it’s great news to hear. RPP as well as Reason Lite likely did have a lot to do with it. Very smart moves IMO.

• Information