Do you need Reason to develop RE's

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
Billy+

01 Jan 2021

So I'm a registered user running the latest version of Reason but I would like to have a second machine for Rack Extension development.

Can I just installed the developer environments or do I have to installed Reason as well?

jam-s

01 Jan 2021

For RE development the SDK and Recon (to do some basic testing/debugging) is sufficient. For performance tests loading your RE into Reason is the way to go.

pongasoft
RE Developer

02 Jan 2021

You actually CANNOT run the REs you build yourself in Reason. They only run in Recon which is a special/limited build of Reason and is part of the SDK and can be installed on any machine you want. I have the dev environment installed on a mac and a PC (in order to test re-cmake).

When you do a "universal" build, you can push it as a staging/testing build to RE servers and then download it (like you would any other RE) and run it in Reason.

Billy+

03 Jan 2021

pongasoft wrote:
02 Jan 2021
You actually CANNOT run the REs you build yourself in Reason. They only run in Recon which is a special/limited build of Reason and is part of the SDK and can be installed on any machine you want. I have the dev environment installed on a mac and a PC (in order to test re-cmake).

When you do a "universal" build, you can push it as a staging/testing build to RE servers and then download it (like you would any other RE) and run it in Reason.
Excellent thanks.

• Information