Auddict PercX

Discuss VST stuff here!
sonja

29 Dec 2020

I was using this successfully until it crashed. I restarted Reason and computer, but now the midi notes sound as piano and not PercX drums (they were sounding fine until crash). Also, when I try to save file of my PercX creation, same thing- I can't hear drums sound, sounds as piano. If I don't save as file I can drag over and works fine, but when it crashed the midi data still shows in edit but sounds as piano. What do I do?
Win10|Reason12|i7 -8565U CPU 16 GB RAM Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, keys KontaktKompltS 88MK2, JBL 306P MkII Powrd Studio Monitors, Saxophones (silver-plate):Selmer BA Alto Daddy-O MP, Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, Robusto 7*MP, Flutes Haynes (C) DiZhau Alto

platzangst

29 Dec 2020

Okay, this is kind of difficult to understand, but the first thing I'd do is track down exactly what's going on with "sound as piano". Has the VST been replaced with a different instrument, like perhaps an ID8? Or is the piano sound actually coming from the VST, in which case your issue is most likely the VST has "lost" the location of the sound files you were using. You should first look at that, and trace exactly where the piano sound is coming from. Then you'll be closer to solving your problem.

sonja

29 Dec 2020

Thank you for responding. I just updated this response (in case you read one from a few minutes ago). Apparently there was a midi track on there at the end where piano was coming from. I deleted that and now just have no sound playing on PercX track even though there is midi data there. This is the case whether in block or song mode. Someone told me to make sure I have patch update- is that the same as the regular Reason update? I think I'm up to date on that. The meters on PercX don't show sound although the blue "note" lights up when trying to play. It looks like everything is hooked up right.
Win10|Reason12|i7 -8565U CPU 16 GB RAM Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, keys KontaktKompltS 88MK2, JBL 306P MkII Powrd Studio Monitors, Saxophones (silver-plate):Selmer BA Alto Daddy-O MP, Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, Robusto 7*MP, Flutes Haynes (C) DiZhau Alto

platzangst

29 Dec 2020

Okay, then the next thing I'd do is find out if this is only happening in Reason, or if it also happens in other hosts and/or the standalone mode. If you hear sound from it in other places, but not in Reason, then there may be some sort of problem there to track down, but if there's no sound at all elsewhere, then your VST may need some attention and perhaps a re-install. Also make sure your VST is still registered, and that the crash hasn't sent it into demo mode for some reason.

sonja

30 Dec 2020

In terms of stand alone mode, I've only used PercX in Reason, but when I get out of Reason and just open PercX on my computer, I can use the mouse and play individual drums after I load a kit but it doesn't work to play "C" on my keyboard to hear pattern. In Reason , I play the note on keyboard and hold down and pattern plays.

When I look at PercX, there are no pending downlaods and it lists the kits I own (112) and collections (6). I assume that means I'm registered?

platzangst

30 Dec 2020

You should be able to find out if you're registered by clicking on the VST's "about" tab, wherever that is - that's usually where registration info is displayed. But, if you can get sound out of it in standalone mode, but not in Reason, then it's probably something in Reason going on.

I wonder if when it crashed, it "lost" the patch info, and perhaps the song file doesn't remember which sets of sounds it was supposed to be using. Unless it was some kind of unsaved custom setting, you might see if reloading that particular patch helps. (IIRC, there have been a few VSTs in the past that have been incompatible with Reason such that Reason can't save or remember the VST's current state, meaning each time you load the song file, you have to reload the patch as well. I have no idea if this is one of those.)

Other than that, I'd recommend first going through all the very basic checks, such as: Is the VST connected to a mix channel, is it muted, is the track/device "in focus" so that the keyboard input is being directed to the device. If there's a sequencer track with clips, double-check that it's the appropriate kind of track, in other words, make sure you're not trying to run a MIDI-style clip on an audio track or something.

sonja

31 Dec 2020

Before, there were drums showing in PercX when I opened it in Reason, now there is not. When saving a Reason project, the PercX drum kit configuration should save as well, so next time the Reason project is opened, the drum kit configuration should also be loaded. So, I wonder if this is one that Reason doesn't save as you suggested?

platzangst

31 Dec 2020

sonja wrote:
31 Dec 2020
Before, there were drums showing in PercX when I opened it in Reason, now there is not. When saving a Reason project, the PercX drum kit configuration should save as well, so next time the Reason project is opened, the drum kit configuration should also be loaded. So, I wonder if this is one that Reason doesn't save as you suggested?
Possibly! It could be that the crash corrupted the part of the save file that held that info, or it could be that there's a more general incompatibility. My suggestion is to create some kind of new song file with only PercX loaded, make some changes, save it, and see if it "remembers" the changes the next time you open the file. If it doesn't, there's probably some incompatibility. If it does, then it's the one song file that's bad and you may have to reconstruct and/or re-save it to make it work.

sonja

05 Jan 2021

It appears that the Save File option enables you to save a PercX pattern, and then later on, load it back into PercX. So- I shouldn't ever lose a pattern if I Save File- I should always be able to load it back into percX and not lose it, even if it crashes? And do the various drums selected save also, or just the pattern? I haven't tried to load it back into PercX I guess. I must be just trying in Reason.

If one of the kits already in PercX is what I'm working with, then all I would need is the pattern I think, because I can always reload exact kit and saved pattern. But when I use that generator, it makes a new kit entirely, or if I change drums in one of the kits it wouldn't be just one of the PercX kits in it's original configuration. As I use it, I will pretty much always change, add or subtract drums to what I'm making, so need to be able to get pattern to connect with drums used.

platzangst

05 Jan 2021

To be utterly honest, I don't know any of the details you've described, because I don't actually own or use PercX - but the steps I previously described are a logical method for tracking down the source of problems. Yes, if you have an option to save patterns in the VST itself, that would preserve your work in the case of any future mishaps with Reason. I would think that a VST that can randomly generate drum kits ought to have an option to save a kit as well, but sometimes developers overlook these things.

Despondo
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2021

Did you try to reinstall the plugin? Perhaps this will solve any issue with the crashing? Otherwise, maybe reach out to the plugin developer to see if they have any suggestions.

sonja

06 Jan 2021

I think I should re-install. I try to save file and it doesn't prompt me to browse for pattern, so something is awry...

• Information