new Reason Studios Player: Pattern Mutator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Billy+

22 Dec 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
22 Dec 2020

Would be interested to know how you a using it, I'm assuming it's going to need to be part of a stack to get a good initial idea going.
It depends. I've written a melody then put it through the mutator to get variations. Or a chord progression. Or I've used a midi from a sample pack and turned into something new. The initial idea is something that comes before the mutator, I think. From there, the sky's the limit with players: stack, rearrange, sent to track, mutate again... Whatever!
Do you have evolution? That can be quite useful for getting started, they need a little tweaking after the generation but can produce ideas quickly.

PhillipOrdonez

22 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
22 Dec 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Dec 2020

It depends. I've written a melody then put it through the mutator to get variations. Or a chord progression. Or I've used a midi from a sample pack and turned into something new. The initial idea is something that comes before the mutator, I think. From there, the sky's the limit with players: stack, rearrange, sent to track, mutate again... Whatever!
Do you have evolution? That can be quite useful for getting started, they need a little tweaking after the generation but can produce ideas quickly.
I do, yeah. Great for old school house bass lines.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
22 Dec 2020

Also great for acid madness.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

22 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Dec 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Dec 2020

Also great for acid madness.
Likely. So is the pattern mutator, actually, pattern mutator is more geared towards acid, did you check the stream with Beyun? That lady was doing wicked stuff with that player and a hardware synth. 🕺

buddard
RE Developer

22 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
22 Dec 2020
I wonder about the mutation algorithm - is it fully random (say, like QNG), or is it based on some pre-made templates and the algorithm maps the original sequence onto them and makes variations (a bit like Drum Map)?

Ive not tried the Player myself yet, but everything I've heard sounds very usable unlike QNG that can be pretty hit or miss (but also very brilliant when it hits just right).
There are no pre-made templates, just algorithms based on randomness. I guess it feels like it hits the mark pretty often since it’s modifying an existing pattern? So it doesn’t have to create melodies “out of thin air”, which of course is more difficult.

Billy+

23 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
22 Dec 2020

There are no pre-made templates, just algorithms based on randomness. I guess it feels like it hits the mark pretty often since it’s modifying an existing pattern? So it doesn’t have to create melodies “out of thin air”, which of course is more difficult.
Please Please Please can you update Mutator to allow 128 steps.

DougalDarkly

23 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2020
Wait until Black Friday. :)
Couldn't wait - loving it already - having some fun with Evolution>Mutator>Sequences :D

Enjoying the Direct Recording of switching to/from mutations mid-pattern too - just what I was looking for to provide a little variation here and there - sequencer pattern automation works fine too as long as you stick to the recorded beat division - good stuff!

It's worth a quick scan of the manual for the mutation controls too, as they don't necessarily do what you think - saw a couple of poor souls on YouTube who just couldn't get their heads round it - they control the amount of variation from your original pattern in the mutation. The Density control, for example, doesn't go 'less dense' to 'more dense', it goes from 'less change to the density' to 'more change to the density' - an important distinction for getting the best out of it.

The stuff I do is heavily pattern-based so this is right up my street - not for everyone, but great for me.

challism

24 Dec 2020

I just posted the following in another thread, but I think it's worthy of posting in this thread, too....

To be frank, I have not been very happy with Quad Note Generator since I buying it. I could never get results that I liked out of it, and I felt it was too limited in terms of there not being any pattern storage banks (just the one). So, a few days ago, I decided to try it with Pattern Mutator, as an external pattern storage bank (also functions as a fantastic variation device) and the results are amazing. PatMut has improved the functionality of QNG, breathing new life into a Player I had long ago decided to stop using. I've been running QNG in tandem with PatMut for the past few days and I'm loving the results. PatMut is definitely at its strongest when paired with other players.
Billy wrote:
23 Dec 2020
I would have to second this request. It seems odd (not a pun) to me that it has 99 steps. I mean, 99 is better than 64, but it seems so weird to have the maximum number of steps in musical devices not divisible by 16.

Another feature I would like to see are some retriggering options like those in Sequences. Is it just me, or is this thing locked to Reason's transport?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

buddard
RE Developer

24 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
23 Dec 2020
buddard wrote:
22 Dec 2020

That’s not my call, sorry...

Billy+

27 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
24 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
23 Dec 2020

But its possible right.......

jam-s

27 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2020
So, 2-3 weeks later and at a reduced price - is it worth getting?
As it is a Reason Studios device I expect it to be put into some updated Rig or suite bundle sooner than later. So unless you really need it or it is discounted more than 80% I would not bite.

buddard
RE Developer

27 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
27 Dec 2020
buddard wrote:
24 Dec 2020

Yes, of course!

froggo_gfx

28 Dec 2020

I’ve decided to register, since the developer is active here

First of all, I want to say that’s it’s unbelievably cool device, made me return to using Reason and upgrade from version 8 to 11.
But if there’s a chance for a feature upgrade dare I suggest ability to unlink pitch parameter from octave? When the knob header just barely hits blue player generates very cool variation, but then I have to manually bring back notes that jumped octaves to original range.

Something like this would be very useful I think:
Attachments
88649390-15D3-4D12-AA15-553672E720E4.jpeg
88649390-15D3-4D12-AA15-553672E720E4.jpeg (16.59 KiB) Viewed 2469 times

Billy+

28 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
27 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
27 Dec 2020

Yes, of course!
So if it's possible and makes more sense to be divisible by 16 why did someone else decide 99 was the correct decision, was it purely for looks?

Or was there an actual real good reason for picking 99 steps?

BRIGGS

28 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
28 Dec 2020
buddard wrote:
27 Dec 2020

Yes, of course!
So if it's possible and makes more sense to be divisible by 16 why did someone else decide 99 was the correct decision, was it purely for looks?

Because, one more step, would require a gui change. :lol:

100 is three digits
r11s

PhillipOrdonez

28 Dec 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
28 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
28 Dec 2020

100 is three digits
Could continue displaying the last 2 digits. We would understand 99 to 00 would be 100 that way 27 would be 127. No? 🤷‍♂️

challism

28 Dec 2020

Seems like there is plenty of room to put a "1" in front of the other two digits. This really seems like an odd choice to only go to 99. I would love to know the reasoning behind that decision. And since the device has already been released, and it is an RS device, I wouldn't expect any updates. What we see now is what we get. Oh well.... not a deal breaker or anything. It's still a fantastic player, just a odd number to max out the steps.

BRIGGS

28 Dec 2020

r11s

BRIGGS

28 Dec 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Dec 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
28 Dec 2020

100 is three digits
Could continue displaying the last 2 digits. We would understand 99 to 00 would be 100 that way 27 would be 127. No? 🤷‍♂️
Or, we could just be happy with 64. :lol:
r11s

PhillipOrdonez

28 Dec 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
28 Dec 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Dec 2020

With that attitude... 🙄

BRIGGS

28 Dec 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Dec 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
28 Dec 2020

With that attitude... 🙄
lolz!!! :puf_smile:
r11s

challism

29 Dec 2020

Yeah 64 is fine with me. I honestly would rarely use 128. 64 is more likely to be my self-imposed maximum because anything longer than that, in a random generator, is hard to keep it sounding musical, if that makes sense. I just find it odd that they decided to cut if off at 99.

99/16 = 6.1875 makes complete sense! ha ha ha

Perhaps they intended PatMut to be used for Waltz music. Now the 99 is making more sense.

ab459

31 Dec 2020

Liked it during demo and bought, really nice\useful tool.

The only sad thing imo - no access to play button thru combinator, as often in player devices (yes i know about playback thru key mode here).

Another little issue, i tried to experiment with recording incoming midi with a bit increased complexity (from ez keys that was already mentioned here) so, the recording result sounds not quite correct. I guess that maybe some grid\quantization works in the mutator, ie some internal resolution adjusts (simplifies a little) the incoming drawing.
But this is for complex clips, but if what more simplify from drum machines (like from MTonic for example) recording\reproduce properly it seems.

devilfish

01 Jan 2021

Is it possible to load (drag&drop) midi-clips into it????

DougalDarkly

01 Jan 2021

devilfish wrote:
01 Jan 2021
Is it possible to load (drag&drop) midi-clips into it????
Sort of - you have to think of it in a more 'Reason' way though - you can drop a MIDI clip into the sequencer lane of the instrument you have it attached to, then click Record and run the sequencer - it should record the clip into the player.

So yeah, sort of.

• Information