Memo device for players... is it possible?

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
challism

28 Dec 2020

I would love to have the ability to add memos to the player stack (similar to Selig's ReMark and Jiggery Pokery's TMAs). Unfortunately, non-player devices cannot be stacked between players. Is it possible to create a player that serves no other purpose than displaying text? If so, I can't imagine that would be terribly difficult to create. I know nothing about making REs or coding, but I wonder if this would be a good project to get my feet wet. I would offer it for free in the shop. Anyway.... is it possible and can anybody point me in the right direction to get started?

..... or.... even better... would any of you coding whizzes consider building it?

Thanks
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

28 Dec 2020

I want that too and would be surprised if it is not possible. Hopefully with exchangeable colors.
Reason12, Win10

challism

28 Dec 2020

I think a lot of people would want and use it.

pongasoft
RE Developer

28 Dec 2020

That is indeed a very simply project. You can create a blank player with all the proper wiring at RE Quickstart.

Then it is just a matter of adding a property for the text. An example being A/B Switch:

1. define a gui owned property of type string (in motherboard_def.lua):

Code: Select all

custom_properties = jbox.property_set {
  gui_owner = {
    properties = {
     memo = jbox.string {
    persistence = "patch",
    }
    }
  },

2. then you add it in device_2D.lua / hdgui_2D.lua as a jbox.value_display (example) and you refer it as "/custom_properties/memo"

And that is pretty much it ;)

Billy+

28 Dec 2020

And that's the easy bit done, now for the hard part.

Finding a registered developer willing to publish, if only there was some way to have a community/open source release platform.

joeyluck

28 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
28 Dec 2020
oye pongasoft why dont you do it ? theres demand, supply it
Well it would be a great project for someone just getting started. It would also help realize some of the purpose of this RE development forum.

visheshl

28 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
28 Dec 2020
visheshl wrote:
28 Dec 2020
oye pongasoft why dont you do it ? theres demand, supply it
Well it would be a great project for someone just getting started. It would also help realize some of the purpose of this RE development forum.
you want me to do it ? I'll give it a shot...

joeyluck

28 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
28 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
28 Dec 2020

I think it's great if anybody is inspired in this subforum to give developing a shot.

challism

28 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
28 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
28 Dec 2020

Yes, give it a shot! Are you a registered developer with RS?
Billy wrote:
28 Dec 2020
And that's the easy bit done, now for the hard part.
I think we found a developer. :)

Billy+

28 Dec 2020

Yes but are they setup to publish and distribute, that's the biggest barrier.

challism

28 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
28 Dec 2020
Yes but are they setup to publish and distribute, that's the biggest barrier.
I don't think it's as big a barrier as you think. I've even got a developer account with RS. It's not hard to do. We have a ton of developers on this site, some of whom are moderators of RT, that would probably be willing to release it. I would release it under my username, not a problem. And it's a huge form of goodwill for any developer to release a free RE (also free advertising and branding).

Billy+

28 Dec 2020

I was making reference to the legal requirements,

From my limited understanding you need to be a tax registered company, which is a massive barrier to the casual developer.

challism

28 Dec 2020

Again, I don't think it's as big a barrier as you think. A legal business can be started within a matter of minutes in most US states. You just need to file a form with the Sec of State and you've got yourself a business. It's quite easy.

I think the process is much more difficult in some other countries, but it's easy in the US (I'm not talking about a corporation, just a basic sole-prop). But that's a moot point because most active developers already have a legit business entity. And if this device were to be free, there wouldn't be anything to report, anyway. So again, a moot point.

pongasoft
RE Developer

29 Dec 2020

challism wrote:
28 Dec 2020
Again, I don't think it's as big a barrier as you think. A legal business can be started within a matter of minutes in most US states. You just need to file a form with the Sec of State and you've got yourself a business. It's quite easy.

I think the process is much more difficult in some other countries, but it's easy in the US (I'm not talking about a corporation, just a basic sole-prop). But that's a moot point because most active developers already have a legit business entity. And if this device were to be free, there wouldn't be anything to report, anyway. So again, a moot point.
It might be "easy" but it is not free... My pongasoft LLC legal business cost me money every single year and you also need to file some legal documents with the state every year. Price and difficulty highly depend on the state. If you don't live in that state, then you need a registered agent which also costs money.

That being said, I believe that if you are not going to charge for the device you no longer need a real company. That was not the case when I released my first RE, but I think this has changed since then.

Second, yes I could develop this RE, but like @joeyluck said, I think it is a great starter project and I think somebody who wants to learn should do it ;)

challism

29 Dec 2020

Yeah, if nobody else is going to do it, I wouldn't mind working on such a project. I've got a good friend who has agreed to help teach me coding. This would be an ideal project to get my feet wet getting started with some kind of "coding." And since there aren't any sales actually taking place, I would question the requirement of having a company. But if a company is required, this wouldn't require starting a corp/LLC; I could simply start a new sole-prop in a matter of minutes (which is free to setup and maintain in my state, and doesn't require an agent or annual reports... easy peasy especially if there aren't any actual sales).

• Information