TAL J-8 (Roland Jupiter 8 emulation)

Discuss VST stuff here!
antic604

14 Dec 2020

The TAL-J-8 is a very accurate emulation of the popular 80’s hardware synthesiser and calibrated after our own Jupiter 8 device. All sounds are generated in realtime without the use of any samples with the same endless modulation possibilities like the hardware and useful additional features like the calibration section that can make the filter scream.

Features:
  • Authentic emulation of the 80's hardware synthesizer
  • Use the calibration section for extreme resonance and filter overdrive
  • VCO based UNISON with stereo spread option and a full stereo signal path
  • MPE support
  • More than 200 factory presets by solidtrax, emptyvessel and others.

Oooooo! :o :clap:

Intro discount -20% (EUR65)

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-j-8
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

Says “Windows: Not ready now!”.
Attachments
22F0D4A1-7551-4FBB-B243-84C511499BFF.jpeg
22F0D4A1-7551-4FBB-B243-84C511499BFF.jpeg (136.8 KiB) Viewed 7148 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

14 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Says “Windows: Not ready now!”.
It was available few minutes ago, but several people on KvR reported having crashes in Live and Studio One, so TAL probably has taken it down to fix the issue :)
Music tech enthusiast.

tallguy

14 Dec 2020

First impressions are very good. It sound ballsy and is very satisfying to play with, I connect with it much better than I ever did with the Arturia. The delay is gorgeous and the addition of the Juno style chorus works incredibly well.

I'l have to do a proper A/B comparison with the Arturia, but man, I thought I was done spending this month :shock:

Do we know how long the introduction price lasts for?

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

Oh this is nice.
It's got the dual mode which Arturia removed from theirs.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

14 Dec 2020

tallguy wrote:
14 Dec 2020
First impressions are very good. It sound ballsy and is very satisfying to play with, I connect with it much better than I ever did with the Arturia. The delay is gorgeous and the addition of the Juno style chorus works incredibly well.

I'l have to do a proper A/B comparison with the Arturia, but man, I thought I was done spending this month :shock:

Do we know how long the introduction price lasts for?
Would appreciate a small comparison with Arturia and your 2nd impressions...
Reason12, Win10

DJMaytag

14 Dec 2020

I just upgraded from V3 to V4 on the Arturia Jup-8V, and will give it a whirl tomorrow. Is there a demo version of the TAL J-8?

eusti

14 Dec 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
14 Dec 2020
I just upgraded from V3 to V4 on the Arturia Jup-8V, and will give it a whirl tomorrow. Is there a demo version of the TAL J-8?
Yes, there is. People have complained though that the demo has noise bursts that are too long and loud... TAL seems to have indicated that they are easing up on those in the next version released tomorrow...

D.

miscend

14 Dec 2020

So what do you guys think? It the cheapest Jupiter out of the bunch.

antic604

15 Dec 2020

miscend wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Lots of bugs and inaccuracies right now, but knowing TAL it will all get fixed shortly:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=557488
Music tech enthusiast.

DJMaytag

15 Dec 2020

miscend wrote:
14 Dec 2020
How much are second hand Arturia licenses selling for now? Even with the two paid updates from Jup-8 V2 to V4, I’ve still paid less for the Arturia version.

stuk71

15 Dec 2020

the gas is strong with this one...

tallguy

15 Dec 2020

OK, 2nd impression. Hard to do a thorough comparison, the TAL starts making noise every minute, the Arturia shuts down after half an hour.
  • Oscillators + filter on the TAL sound brighter
  • To my ear, the different elements (oscillator, filter, effects...) come together better on the TAL. Easier for me to find sweet spots
  • TAL can be calibrated to sound more like a Juno-60 with more saturation, drive and brighter oscillator
  • TAL has split and dual. Arturia removed them in their latest version (where's the facepalm smily?)
  • Arturia's polyphony can be brought up to 16. TAL looks like it's sticking to the hardware limitation of 8 voices
  • Arturia has more FX with the ability to run them in parallel and serial. Some similarities with Pigment's FX section
  • Arturia has a 32 step sequencer
  • Arturia has response curves for velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel and keyboard
  • Arturia has more modulation with two extra LFOs and a modulation mixer
  • TAL only has two FX, but they're gorgeous. A delay and a Juno style chorus. Delay saturates quite a bit. It's beautiful, but no way of switching saturation off
  • Arturia's presets are said to be really good (I hear people referring to it as "mix ready"). As I rarely use presets, I can't comment on that
  • TAL interface looks more like a desktop version of a Jupiter, feels more direct to work with. No advanced slide-down interface with tabs like the Arturia
Overall, I prefer TAL's effort, the interface, the brighter sound... this, of course, is totally subjective. I couldn't argue against anybody preferring the Arturia over the more sparse TAL. The presets on the Arturia sound great, so if I struggle to connect with it, that's on me.

miscend

21 Dec 2020

I decided not to get this. Without the chorus it's a bit too plain vanilla for my tastes. When compared to Mini Moog emulations like Legend and Monark - it just doesn't have as much bite. The Jupiter/Juno poly synth sound has pretty much become generic these days with all the choices we have in the modern era.

tallguy

21 Dec 2020

I have the Arturia V3 and can't justify adding another Jupiter. Both the Arturia V4 and TAL sound better, but once you drop it in a mix, it's not going to make that much of a difference.

At a basic level, the difference between the Arturia V4 and TAL comes down to saturation. Add some tube saturation to the Arturia and it's sonically in the same ballpark as the TAL.

Most of the difference between the Arturia V3 and the others seems to boil down to voice dispersion.

Creativemind

21 Dec 2020

First impressions after a few mins play. Beast. Sounds great. More than likely will be a Chrissy prezzie for me me thinks.

What's this dual people have mentioned?

The white noise every so often isn't too bad, only lasts about 4 seconds.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

tallguy

21 Dec 2020

Creativemind wrote:
21 Dec 2020

It's under Key Mode, bottom left. Dual allows you to layers two patches on top of each other. It's something the original Jupiter could do, but Arturia have removed it in their latest version.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2020

An alternative is Roland's Jupiter. You can grab it for $99. Do a 1yr Cloud sub and then pick a free VST, Jupiter, XV-5080, whatever. (Not for Mac users though unless you run VST3)
No Jupiter has blown me off my socks, too limited by today's standard and similar sounds can be made with many modern synths. More of a nostalgia thing, so can be worth it for that, but...
I like the Juno better for them pads and bass sounds, but again nothing special, just nice tones that many of todays synths can do well.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Creativemind

22 Dec 2020

tallguy wrote:
21 Dec 2020
Creativemind wrote:
21 Dec 2020

It's under Key Mode, bottom left. Dual allows you to layers two patches on top of each other. It's something the original Jupiter could do, but Arturia have removed it in their latest version.
Thanks. Sounds a good feature, bit like a Combinator. I wonder why Arturia removed it?

DJMaytag

23 Dec 2020

Creativemind wrote:
22 Dec 2020
Thanks. Sounds a good feature, bit like a Combinator. I wonder why Arturia removed it?
I wonder if not many people used that feature? I know I NEVER did.

Creativemind

23 Dec 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
23 Dec 2020
Creativemind wrote:
22 Dec 2020
I wonder if not many people used that feature? I know I NEVER did.
But you could've made patches with it?

Heater

23 Dec 2020

I’m conflicted. I can only get one.

Tal-J-8 or Repro 5.

Any ideas?

eusti

23 Dec 2020

Heater wrote:
23 Dec 2020

Tal-J-8 or Repro 5.

Any ideas?
I think the U-He deals at the moment are better and more rare. If in doubt I might do that one now and possibly the other one at some point in the future. But of course that only works if you like the sound and performance the same.

D.

SebAudio

23 Dec 2020

eusti wrote:
23 Dec 2020
Heater wrote:
23 Dec 2020

Tal-J-8 or Repro 5.

Any ideas?
I think the U-He deals at the moment are better and more rare. If in doubt I might do that one now and possibly the other one at some point in the future. But of course that only works if you like the sound and performance the same.

D.
Same. And with Repro5 comes Repro1 !

tallguy

23 Dec 2020

Yup, go Repro

• Information