Audio Track in the Rack bug. Anyone confirm? (RS confirmed)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

Edited: After a bit of messing about with the Rack and a lot of trial and error I pinpointed a bug in Reason which has now been confirmed by RS.

I'll explain it one more time.
1. Start in column one. Create an Audio track. Drag an effect onto it. It's added as an insert effect.
2. Move over to column two. Create an Audio track. Drag an effect onto it. It's added as an insert effect.
3. Go back to column one. Create an Audio Track. Drag an effect onto it. Instead of being added as an insert it's added outside the mixer channel.
4. Move over to column three. Create an Audio track. Drag an effect onto it. It's added as an insert effect.
5. Back to column one or two. Create an Audio track. drag an effect onto it...it's added outside the mixer channel.

So basically, every time you start a new column in the rack, all effects added to audio tracks in that column are added as insert effects on the audio track but all effects added to new audio tracks to the left of the that column are added outside the audio track mixer channel.
Last edited by MrFigg on 23 Dec 2020, edited 3 times in total.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

antic604

23 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote: ↑
23 Dec 2020
Right: Uncombine. Left: Combine
Sounds about right to me.

The Right is traditionally about borders & separation, the Left is about inclusivity and diversity.

But really, Reason Studios should stay away from political content in their DAW...

;)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote: ↑
23 Dec 2020
23 Dec 2020
Right: Uncombine. Left: Combine
Sounds about right to me.

The Right is traditionally about borders & separation, the Left is about inclusivity and diversity.

But really, Reason Studios should stay away from political content in their DAW...

;)
Hahaha. Truth Socrates.

Now can you start up Reason and check it out for me? :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

antic604

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
Now can you start up Reason and check it out for me? :)
Nope, stuck at work for the next couple of hours :)
Music tech enthusiast.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

See...One with combine greyed out the other with uncombine greyed out.
Also what's weird is if I create an audio track on the left side of the rack and drag on an effect the audio track UI stays collapsed. If I repeat the process on the right hand of the rack when I add the effect the audio track UI opens up.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (106.84 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (97.86 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

The one on the right is wired up as an insert, the one on the left is outside of your mixer channel.
I'm pretty sure you can combine once you put another fx after the alligator on the right (it has to be two devices)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel β€’α΄—β€’

antic604

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
See...
That's because the right one is in Inserts slot, which is a combinator in itself :)
Music tech enthusiast.

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

Once you combine, the combinator will be (visually) moved outside of that insert position, while it's still being wired as one
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel β€’α΄—β€’

antic604

23 Dec 2020

diminished wrote: ↑
23 Dec 2020
I'm pretty sure you can combine once you put another fx after the alligator on the right (it has to be two devices)
You won't. Inserts slot is already a Combinator (with buttons, knobs, programmers, saving/loading patches) and you can't nest Combinators.
Music tech enthusiast.

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

see my second post

antic604

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
see my second post
Yeah, you're right :)
Music tech enthusiast.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
The one on the right is wired up as an insert, the one on the left is outside of your mixer channel.
Thanks Dim. I see that now I look at the screenshots again. What’s got me confused is that I dragged the effect in on track 1 and track 2 exactly the same way. Ie. Under the audio track and NOT into the insert effect box. Seems to have gotten in there somehow anyway. Hmm
Last edited by MrFigg on 23 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

I just tried what I said (combine multiple devices from within an insert position) and actually, you can't :o that's a surprise because when you add a combinator into an insert chain, it will be placed outside while it's wired up properly
nope.JPG
nope.JPG (118.15 KiB) Viewed 1185 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

Here's the problem narrowed down.
I create an audio track on the left side of the rack (Under the Master Section) and one on the right side of the rack.
If I drag an effect onto the audio track on the left it gets added outside the mixer channel.
If I drag an effect onto the audio track on the right it gets added as an insert effect.
Now what's the reason for that?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
I create an audio track on the left side of the rack (Under the Master Section) and one on the right side of the rack.
If I drag an effect onto the audio track on the left it gets added outside the mixer channel.
If I drag an effect onto the audio track on the right it gets added as an insert effect.
Can confirm - that's pretty inconsistent.
weirdbehavior.JPG
weirdbehavior.JPG (197.64 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
23 Dec 2020
Can confirm - that's pretty inconsistent.

weirdbehavior.JPG
Thanks. Further to that...you need to have created a track on the right side first. Then anything that gets added to tracks on the left side are outside of the mixer channel.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

Just got it confirmed as a bug by RS.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

deeplink
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
Surprising. I just assumed the devices would route like that as default, and would not carry over any external routing properties
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

deeplink wrote: ↑
23 Dec 2020
23 Dec 2020
Surprising. I just assumed the devices would route like that as default, and would not carry over any external routing properties
I'm surprised I've never noticed it all this time. Start on the left side and all effects get added as inserts. Make a new track on the right side and all effects get added as insert effects but all effects added to any new tracks on the left side are added outside the mixer. Now that's going to bug the hell out of me...now that I know.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
I never considered it to be a bug, if you're in the insert section you don't need to combine. If you create a combinator for effects and load it into the channel effects you get the programming but not the combinator.

Why have RS accepted it as a bug, did they explain why it's a bug?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

Billy wrote: ↑
23 Dec 2020
23 Dec 2020
I never considered it to be a bug, if you're in the insert section you don't need to combine. If you create a combinator for effects and load it into the channel effects you get the programming but not the combinator.

Why have RS accepted it as a bug, did they explain why it's a bug?
Turns out the main issue wasn't with the combine/ uncombine. I'll explain it one more time.
1. Start in column one. Create an Audio track. Drag an effect onto it. It's added as an insert effect.
2. Move over to column two. Create an Audio track. Drag an effect onto it. It's added as an insert effect.
3. Go back to column one. Create an Audio Track. Drag an effect onto it. Instead of being added as an insert it's added outside the mixer channel.
4. Move over to column three. Create an Audio track. Drag an effect onto it. It's added as an insert effect.
5. Back to column one or two. Create an Audio track. drag an effect onto it...it's added outside the mixer channel.
etc...

I'm going to put this at the start of the thread to avoid any confusion.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Dec 2020

Oh gotcha, very strange, guess that means we have another update on the way.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
Not us on R10 :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
23 Dec 2020
Have you still not upgraded.....

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

23 Dec 2020
23 Dec 2020

Have you still not upgraded.....
Oh no no no!!!!!