Use of APE for speech (and even rap) ...

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2020

I've been doing this for years ...

It started with just sliding duplicate layers with the comp editor for an audio drama I recorded way back in 2012 (for pitch, I used either Neptune or transpose on isolated clips ... I think), ...

So anyway, speech performances can be greatly improved with adjustments of both rhythm and pitch. If you have a monotone speaker, APE can breathe both life and expression into their recordings. With rap, I've used it to manipulate their pitch and flows to better suit my track.

When I was a recording engineer I found myself being merciless with their performance in the booth. They couldn't hear it, and for years I used to wonder if I was just overthinking.

I wasn't.

With APE I'm able to make those minute adjustments I wanted them to make to great effect.

I mostly do this when adapting an acapella to my own track.

I also used it to enhance a promo video for a mental health campaign I was involved in a couple of years ago. Now, this isn't a Reason exclusive capability, but I just thought I'd share.

• Information