Simple Mono/Stereo Quesiton

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BradfordMoeller

16 Dec 2020

I slimmed down my guitar track template within Reason a while back, and decided to add 1 extra AMP RE, panning the existing one hard left, the new one hard right. There's also a bass amp sim panned center.

I forgot to do A/B testing when doing this, so my question is-

Would it sound any different to have two amp sims panned stereo, versus having just one amp sim panned center if all settings of the amp sims are the same?

Seems like a newbie question for where I'm at but nonetheless, thank you for any answers, probably an easy 'yes' or 'no' for many of you!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 7.11.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 7.11.56 PM.png (950.96 KiB) Viewed 416 times
:reason:)))

antic604

17 Dec 2020

BradfordMoeller wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Would it sound any different to have two amp sims panned stereo, versus having just one amp sim panned center if all settings of the amp sims are the same?
Yes, the result would be 6dB louder, but it would be the same sound.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

veezay
RE Developer

20 Dec 2020

Sometimes it's handy to have a closer look at the rear of the devices. There are signal flow icons for mono and stereo inputs giving an idea how the device will handle both. Softube Amp's icons indicate that it generates a stereo output from a mono input, and a stereo output from a stereo input in a way where both channels contribute to the overall stereo effect. Left and right channels aren't processed individually (like in an EQ for example), nor are they summed before processing (like in the half-rack DDL-1).

When a mono input (either just the left channel or identical left and right channels) is connected to the Amp, the channels in the resulting stereo output differ slightly. If you have two identical Amps that you feed with identical inputs and take the same output channel (either left or right channels) from both Amps, they are identical, so it doesn't make sense to pan them in stereo. Instead you can just use one Amp and take its stereo output, so you get a slight stereo image in the sound if that's what you want.

signalflow.png
signalflow.png (83.53 KiB) Viewed 308 times

selig
RE Developer

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2020
BradfordMoeller wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Yes, the result would be 6dB louder, but it would be the same sound.
There's no reason why it should be any louder (and in fact, it's not louder) - the reason is because it's exactly the same thing in both cases!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information