RRP patch save load Request

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
visheshl

20 Dec 2020

Since RRP is a vst plugin and entire rack is a single instrument or effect patch. there should be a patch saver loader on top of RRP so that we can save racks as vst patches.

This is a feature request but specific to RRP, i was confused if i should put it in RRP or feature requests, that also means shouldn't there be a feature requests sub forum only for RRP ?

antic604

20 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
20 Dec 2020
Since RRP is a vst plugin and entire rack is a single instrument or effect patch. there should be a patch saver loader on top of RRP so that we can save racks as vst patches.

This is a feature request but specific to RRP, i was confused if i should put it in RRP or feature requests, that also means shouldn't there be a feature requests sub forum only for RRP ?
Every DAW has a way to save plugin state. Just use that:

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

visheshl

20 Dec 2020

yes but dont all vsts(ok almost all) come with their own save load ?
id like to save reason vst patches from within reason and be able to browse the from within the reason browser. i prefer it that way

antic604

20 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
20 Dec 2020
yes but dont all vsts(ok almost all) come with their own save load ?
id like to save reason vst patches from within reason and be able to browse the from within the reason browser. i prefer it that way
But even in Reason itself it works in 2 ways only: you save a device (say Europa) patch, or you save a combinator patch (say Europa + Scream + Echo). It's the same for RRP. The only thing that isn't saved then is non-standard cabling to RRP in/out and that's unfortunate.
Music tech enthusiast.

visheshl

20 Dec 2020

device patches are different, RRP vst patches are different.
and anyway if they implement it which they can and they should, users can choose to use it or save load presets from the daw as per their convenience and workflow. i would rather have a folder in the reason browser where i can organise different patches and load them from within reason rack plugin

visheshl

20 Dec 2020

I saved an RRP vst patch from ableton to the desktop. Opened a new RRP, but when i browse to desktop, reason doesn't even show the vst preset, its a vst it should be able to show and load the vst preset also save it.

zoidkirb

20 Dec 2020

Not quite the same but saving each combinator patch will do the job as long as your patch isn't made up of multiple combinators.

visheshl

20 Dec 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
20 Dec 2020
Not quite the same but saving each combinator patch will do the job as long as your patch isn't made up of multiple combinators.
im not looking for workarounds. its a simple request, its a vst it should be able to save load and browse vst patches.

and yes i build multi layered patches routed to multiple outs. id like to be able to save the entire rack(or rather the entire plugin state, including cabling etc) as a preset.
combinators do not suit my requirement. and i dont intend to save load vst patches from the daw.

antic604

20 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
20 Dec 2020
I saved an RRP vst patch from ableton to the desktop. Opened a new RRP, but when i browse to desktop, reason doesn't even show the vst preset, its a vst it should be able to show and load the vst preset also save it.
You saved Ableton VST wrapper's preset. You load it from there, not from within RRP.
Music tech enthusiast.

visheshl

20 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2020
visheshl wrote:
20 Dec 2020
You saved Ableton VST wrapper's preset. You load it from there, not from within RRP.
ok my bad

visheshl

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2020
visheshl wrote:
20 Dec 2020

ok i apologize, it works when i save vst presets in ableton. i organised different presets by folders and its efficient.

however since you pointed out these are ableton's vst wrapper presets, will the same presets work on another DAW ?

antic604

21 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
21 Dec 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2020

ok i apologize, it works when i save vst presets in ableton. i organised different presets by folders and its efficient.

however since you pointed out these are ableton's vst wrapper presets, will the same presets work on another DAW ?
No, they won't. You need to save combinators if you want cross-DAW compatibility :(

Look, I'm not saying your request isn't valid, just that it's not a deal breaker like lack of midi out was :)
Music tech enthusiast.

visheshl

21 Dec 2020

hmm, well for now saving presets in live is working fine...maybe in the future if they implement save load, I'll load up the live presets and save them as RRP vst presets.
currently im not working with multiple daws so its ok for now.

zoidkirb

21 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
20 Dec 2020
zoidkirb wrote:
20 Dec 2020
im not looking for workarounds. its a simple request, its a vst it should be able to save load and browse vst patches.

and yes i build multi layered patches routed to multiple outs. id like to be able to save the entire rack(or rather the entire plugin state, including cabling etc) as a preset.
combinators do not suit my requirement. and i dont intend to save load vst patches from the daw.
Yes I understand that. We are not Reason Studios though, so workarounds like Combinators or DAW patch saving are all we can suggest for now. Another solution would be to run the whole RRP inside a wrapper that you can transport between DAWs. Plugin Guru Unify does that exactly.

visheshl

21 Dec 2020

thank you for suggesting workarounds, however i was making a feature request for reason studios people to read and perhaps implement in future updates.

visheshl

21 Dec 2020

UPDATE : i asked mattias on twitter about loading and saving patches. and he said that you can do it from the daw, but here's what he said, that any vst3 host would save patches as .vstpreset format which would work across other vst3 daws. i checked this, and it works. i saved an RRP preset in ableton and opened it in reaper, it works.
Problem solved
Last edited by visheshl on 21 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Jackjackdaw

21 Dec 2020

It would be really neat if you could save your rack as a vst3 preset from within Reason to then load as RRP in another DAW.

visheshl

21 Dec 2020

well yeah, it would be neat to have all the RRP patches inside the reason browser and load up from within RRP. in any daw. im satisfied though that the presets i save in one daw will open up in another daw

antic604

21 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
21 Dec 2020
UPDATE : i asked mattias on twitter about loading and saving patches. and he said that you can do it from the daw, but here's what he said, that any vst3 host would save patches as .vstpreset format which would work across daws. i checked this, and it works. i saved an RRP preset in ableton and opened it in reaper, it works.
Problem solved
Didn't know that! That's great :thumbs_up:
Music tech enthusiast.

visheshl

21 Dec 2020

he also said that since reason is vst3,aax, au the patch format would have to be platform independent.

• Information