Am I the only Reason 4 user on here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
glass-puppy

18 Jun 2020

SebAudio wrote:
18 Jun 2020
visheshl wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I was using 4 till now but when 11 came out with RRP, i upgraded
4 was really a synth lover version. I’ve stopped upgrading (every version from v1 !) at 6.5 and can’t wait for RRP when retina friendly :P
Woah, you had version 1? I've never seen it before nor knew anyone who's been there from the very start.. what was it like at the time? My first version was 3.0, I bought reason because I wanted to know why it was so extremely popular at the time and alot of professionals I've heard were using it and I didn't hear that kind of praise about Fruityloops back then which was the software I was accustomed to. I tried the "reason adapted" that came with my mbox 1 interface and wasnt impressed, felt it was tedious but my instincts or intuition told me to get the full.version of reason 3. I then bought power tools for teason 3.0 by kurt Karasaki and that totally changed my experience for the better.
Lol this is seriously bringing me back memories lol shopping for my first midi controller. The idea that I'd get to play my software like it were a hardware synth back then was really neat. And I think R3 introduced midi controller capability? Or am I wrong? Strange how time changes things,.back then I had a knobby novation remote25 but these days it's just a kmi k-board. And my rigs a laptop now and not a tower. Lol.

I better stop or I'm going to keep rambling lol

kooshan

18 Jun 2020

adfielding wrote:
18 Jun 2020
kooshan wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I believe that each version of Reason sounds a bit different( not that much but different) what do you think about this? I’ve tested this so many times during all these years ...
Bytheway is it possible to listen to the album you composed with R4?
I don't think there's any major change between versions outside of what's added - for example, if you open a tune made in Reason 1 in Reason 4 I'm pretty sure it'd sound exactly the same. I've opened old (<v5) tunes in newer versions of Reason and they've generally sounded exactly the same as the old exports I've got kicking around. That's actually one of the things I really like about Reason - backward compatibility is generally pretty fantastic (outside of the old Line6 amps, sadly!).

As for my album - sure thing! You can check it out here (and on Spotify/Apple Music/whatever) :)
Well not major but different , they don’t even cancel the phase test . Most of the times it’s no big thing but sometimes....

Great album indeed ! Was it mixed in Reason ?

SebAudio

18 Jun 2020

glass-puppy wrote:
18 Jun 2020
SebAudio wrote:
18 Jun 2020

4 was really a synth lover version. I’ve stopped upgrading (every version from v1 !) at 6.5 and can’t wait for RRP when retina friendly :P
Woah, you had version 1? I've never seen it before nor knew anyone who's been there from the very start.. what was it like at the time? My first version was 3.0, I bought reason because I wanted to know why it was so extremely popular at the time and alot of professionals I've heard were using it and I didn't hear that kind of praise about Fruityloops back then which was the software I was accustomed to. I tried the "reason adapted" that came with my mbox 1 interface and wasnt impressed, felt it was tedious but my instincts or intuition told me to get the full.version of reason 3. I then bought power tools for teason 3.0 by kurt Karasaki and that totally changed my experience for the better.
Lol this is seriously bringing me back memories lol shopping for my first midi controller. The idea that I'd get to play my software like it were a hardware synth back then was really neat. And I think R3 introduced midi controller capability? Or am I wrong? Strange how time changes things,.back then I had a knobby novation remote25 but these days it's just a kmi k-board. And my rigs a laptop now and not a tower. Lol.

V1 was the « dream studio » I was trying to build during 10 years before in hw form (there were no alternative than hw at the time).
Reason v1 was the only realtime Midi music software « studio » that worked on the average PC of the time.
Suddenly I could add (almost) as many synths, drum box, FXs as I wanted to make the tracks I could only dreamt of with the poorly equiped « home studio » I’ve had built during those 10 years.
I’ve sold all my hw gear during the next 5 years (the last one being my D50 I was using as a master keyboard).
Reason is a great music production software.

I was and am still a hobbyist.

DaveyG

18 Jun 2020

I've been in since version 1 too. And Rebirth. Rebirth was when I first realised that soft synths were going to succeed!

jlgrimes

20 Jun 2020

I doubt it.

plaamook

20 Jun 2020

glass-puppy wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I then bought power tools for teason 3.0 by kurt Karasaki and that totally changed my experience for the better.
Same. Got me deep into Reason w Kurts book. He's a cool chap too. V Helpful.
What I didn't realise at the time was I'd be way happier working w Audio than midi but hey ho.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

visheshl

21 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I've been in since version 1 too. And Rebirth. Rebirth was when I first realised that soft synths were going to succeed!
Me 2, rebirth and reason weren't available in india then, a friend gave me a cracked copy of rebirth with lots of mods, i loved it, then came reason, same thing, but then when someone asked what i wanetd when he was coming back from singapore, i told him to get reason for me, i got licensed version 2 of reason.

dmcghee

24 Jun 2020

Reason 1 is the best version because there was no other versions before 1.Lol

glass-puppy

24 Jun 2020

dmcghee wrote:
24 Jun 2020
Reason 1 is the best version because there was no other versions before 1.Lol
Lol true

glass-puppy

24 Jun 2020

plaamook wrote:
20 Jun 2020
glass-puppy wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I then bought power tools for teason 3.0 by kurt Karasaki and that totally changed my experience for the better.
Same. Got me deep into Reason w Kurts book. He's a cool chap too. V Helpful.
What I didn't realise at the time was I'd be way happier working w Audio than midi but hey ho.

Do you think he will ever write another book like that? I dont understand why he hasnt written a power tools book since 3.0.. it was literally the kind of book that ought to ship with the software itself it was that good.

Why are you happier working with audio?

glass-puppy

24 Jun 2020

visheshl wrote:
21 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Me 2, rebirth and reason weren't available in india then, a friend gave me a cracked copy of rebirth with lots of mods, i loved it, then came reason, same thing, but then when someone asked what i wanetd when he was coming back from singapore, i told him to get reason for me, i got licensed version 2 of reason.
Did you ever release any of the music you made with reason 2 after you got it?

glass-puppy

24 Jun 2020

SebAudio wrote:
18 Jun 2020
glass-puppy wrote:
18 Jun 2020

V1 was the « dream studio » I was trying to build during 10 years before in hw form (there were no alternative than hw at the time).
Reason v1 was the only realtime Midi music software « studio » that worked on the average PC of the time.
Suddenly I could add (almost) as many synths, drum box, FXs as I wanted to make the tracks I could only dreamt of with the poorly equiped « home studio » I’ve had built during those 10 years.
I’ve sold all my hw gear during the next 5 years (the last one being my D50 I was using as a master keyboard).
Reason is a great music production software.

I was and am still a hobbyist.
What was your hardware setup like ar the time? Did you have your copy of reason on a laptop? Back around 2002 I started seeing these ads in magazines of studios being mobile via laptops and an interface like mbox 1 by digidesign and a midi controller.. just the idea of having that much unreal awesome with you anywhere you went i was so blown away. But I never came from a hardware background so I had no real concept how something like reason stacked up hw.

plaamook

25 Jun 2020

glass-puppy wrote:
24 Jun 2020

Why are you happier working with audio?
Just a different mode. I don’t make traditional beats and so on. There’s a lots of reprocessing recordings and chopping things into place. I find it’s just a more hands on approach.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

visheshl

25 Jun 2020

glass-puppy wrote:
24 Jun 2020
visheshl wrote:
21 Jun 2020

Did you ever release any of the music you made with reason 2 after you got it?
I did a few projects for others, paid to put my music on platforms, it was garbage though, never released something on a big level...

djsmex

25 Jun 2020

I still have the original boxed copy of reason 3 & 4 but haven't used either for some time now.
Do you remember ReBirth? Way back late 90s, think I got it either 98 or 99, when Reason was still being developed.
Oh, showing my age lol

glass-puppy

25 Jun 2020

djsmex wrote:
25 Jun 2020
I still have the original boxed copy of reason 3 & 4 but haven't used either for some time now.
Do you remember ReBirth? Way back late 90s, think I got it either 98 or 99, when Reason was still being developed.
Oh, showing my age lol
Lol I hadn't heard of rebirth until around 2005. Around the time I got R3 and saw the rebirth device wondering what it was and looked it up.

visheshl

26 Jun 2020

djsmex wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Oh, showing my age lol
I had reason 2 box but it went in trash i think, i still have reason 4 box

kooshan

20 Dec 2020

Hi Adam !
Beautiful album !
Did you mix it inside Reason aswell?

adfielding wrote:
18 Jun 2020
kooshan wrote:
18 Jun 2020
I believe that each version of Reason sounds a bit different( not that much but different) what do you think about this? I’ve tested this so many times during all these years ...
Bytheway is it possible to listen to the album you composed with R4?
I don't think there's any major change between versions outside of what's added - for example, if you open a tune made in Reason 1 in Reason 4 I'm pretty sure it'd sound exactly the same. I've opened old (<v5) tunes in newer versions of Reason and they've generally sounded exactly the same as the old exports I've got kicking around. That's actually one of the things I really like about Reason - backward compatibility is generally pretty fantastic (outside of the old Line6 amps, sadly!).

As for my album - sure thing! You can check it out here (and on Spotify/Apple Music/whatever) :)

adfielding

20 Dec 2020

kooshan wrote:
20 Dec 2020
Hi Adam !
Beautiful album !
Thanks! Yes, everything you hear on the album came straight out of Reason 4 - no additional processing or anything like that. It was originally released in 2008 and I didn't expect a lot of people to hear it, I was happy with how it sounded so I just ran with it :)

edit: I just noticed you asked this question earlier in the year as well, sorry for not replying sooner - it must have slipped me!

kooshan

20 Dec 2020

adfielding wrote:
20 Dec 2020
kooshan wrote:
20 Dec 2020
Hi Adam !
Beautiful album !
Thanks! Yes, everything you hear on the album came straight out of Reason 4 - no additional processing or anything like that. It was originally released in 2008 and I didn't expect a lot of people to hear it, I was happy with how it sounded so I just ran with it :)

edit: I just noticed you asked this question earlier in the year as well, sorry for not replying sooner - it must have slipped me!

Thats fine !
They sound pretty good!
They have a distinct character compared to nowadays mixes.

syncanonymous

26 Dec 2020

Nielsen wrote:
17 Jun 2020
I used version 4 until version 10.
I started with Rebirth and Recycle back in '98. Both legit purchases.
My Reason upgrade path was 1, 2.5, 4, 8, 8.3, 10.
I was sooooo looking forward to the Reason release and loved it from the get go. The mistake I made back then was trying so hard to use USB midi keyboard controller. If I would have stuck 5 pin DIN, I would have made an awful lot more music. USB latency on Wintel machines was so terrible and I spent much time attempting to troubleshoot that. Nowadays that issue is long gone.

I went from 4 to 8; what a massive jump in functionality! I did several 2 week song challenges back then in 2012/13 that are still up on Soundcloud.

The expanded colors for tracks in 8.3 was a notable improvement and I was using Reason an awful lot at that time 2013-2018. There's no way I'd want to go back to v4!

Years of laptops really maxed my productions to 12-16 tracks. I've gone back to desktop tower and it's sooooooo much easier to do whatever I want with the for superior CPU power.

That said, I've really slowed down my Reason productions since early 2018. I've spent much more time working on SysEx and remote control of external devices since then...getting back to Reason again, now, tho

• Information