Which DAW you're using Reason Rack Plugin in?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.

Which DAW you're using Reason Rack Plugin in?

Ableton Live
25%
Bitwig Studio
12%
Cakewalk (by Bandlab)
4%
Cubase / Nuendo
10%
Digital Performer
0%
FL Studio
3%
Logic Pro
13%
Mixcraft
0%
ProTools
3%
Reaper
11%
Studio One
10%
Waveform
0%
Other
7%

Total votes: 215
antic604

18 Dec 2020

Assuming that not everyone here work in Reason standalone exclusively, I was wondering which other DAW hosts your Reason Rack Plugin (RRP) the most often? I'd also invite you to comment on your experiences of how well RRP integrates with your chosen DAW, how both tools complement each other, etc.

Myself, despite owning Reason 11 from day one, I've not really used RRP *actively* in Bitwig or Studio One, so can't really add much to the discussion and now that I sold both DAWs it's gonna be even less helpful :)

100.gif
100.gif (633.73 KiB) Viewed 5205 times
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

arnigretar

18 Dec 2020

I use Ableton Live when I am playing live and when I am recording external gear (I find it more easy). When Reason came out with the Rack Plugin I have used it alongside with jamming on my gear. It works great. But have yet to implement the Rack to my live-setup. But love it however. Been using Reason since 1.0 and the rack is a nice extra feature and works great in Live. Rewire was also fine... but this saves time.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2020

i barely opened that plugin.lol

But if I were to use it I would use it with REAPER

PhillipOrdonez

18 Dec 2020

Live. Works great, use it all the time. Every piece I do in live has multiple RRP instances.

reusenoise

18 Dec 2020

Just bought Reason 11 intro last year as vst for Reaper, then I realize how what a beautiful daw it's Reason itself

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2020

I use the rrp in live and studio one and works fine for me. It was a bit limited to start with but been really enjoying it since they added midi out functionality. I have noticed I tend to use reason effects and players a lot more than the rack synths though. Virtually all my synth parts are made in vsts but gas is still an issue so have loads of synth choices that I seem to turn to before europa, subtractor etc.

zoidkirb

19 Dec 2020

Using RRP Lite in Live and Cubase, where it's stable now.
Usually im just launching an instance of Complex, Autosub, Abl3 or Parsec, sometimes a Player and some LFOs used strictly inside the rack.

I like to come back to full Reason when it comes to getting properly creative and building some rack megastructures.

Jackjackdaw

19 Dec 2020

I was very keen to use RRP in Cubase but there are a number of shortfalls to the experience that mean I would rather not bother. I have moaned about them on here before but I will compile a list here just in case...

Lack of multi timbral midi. I want to have a single rack instance with everything in and multiple midi tracks controlling everything

The device samplers are broken. Perfect opportunity to assign side chain input from the host DAW .

Non scalable graphics. Cubase is finally bringing a nearly useable HiDPi mode and now Reason is tiny. Europa VST got it right, RRP needs to as well.

Lack of VST support. I have a ton of combinators with VST in that I want to be able to use.

Lack of Reason Project import. I want to be able to open existing Reason Project racks. Obviously without the sequencer data.

Reason Splash screen on project load. Every project with an RRP instance loads with the Reason Splash screen. It's clunky and irritating.

I think that's it. If they fixed all that stuff then RRP would be my go-to device . Otherwise if I want to do Reason stuff then I prefer either stand alone or loading R10 and using rewire.

raymondh

19 Dec 2020

Wow, Live sure is popular!

I'm using RRP in Reaper.

What I like (about using RRP in Reaper versus Reason DAW):
- Super CPU efficient. I can run many more devices, it's like having a PC upgrade!
- Not having to switch contexts between sequencer and rack
- Routing between tracks
- Fantastic Online tutorial videos (eg Reapermania, Reaper Blog)
- File versioning and efficiency
- the regions concept
- better piano roll and MIDI editing than Reason, faster to enter notes, change velocities etc
- arrangement navigation that varies depending on where the mouse is hovering. great with my logitech mx master mouse with the side scrolling wheel. really fast to get around
- "actions" and how easy it is to map hotkeys (incl from my master keyboard)
- The ability to link one slider on my master keyboard to control the volume slider on the currently selected track!
- proper track freeze
- The EQs like ReEQ - free and comparable to Fabfilter (maybe?)

What I don't like (yet):
- Haven't gotten my head around recording and editing automation easily
- a simple way to remove a couple of bars in the middle of an arrangement
- handling of multiple output VSTs that create a bloat of tracks - can get a bit unwieldy

MrBlue

19 Dec 2020

None :mrgreen:

Adabler
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2020

Is it possible to use the plug in within reason?
:reason: 12, Win10

jwd606

20 Dec 2020

raymondh wrote:
19 Dec 2020

What I like (about using RRP in Reaper versus Reason DAW):
- Super CPU efficient. I can run many more devices, it's like having a PC upgrade!
It's the same in Logic. My old Macbook was struggling with Reason, but switching to Logic uses much less CPU. Saved me buying a new computer.

antic604

20 Dec 2020

Adabler wrote:
19 Dec 2020
Is it possible to use the plug in within reason?
No. But why?
Music tech enthusiast.

Creativemind

20 Dec 2020

I'm using it in Reaper and loving it. As mentioned above, the splash screen can be a fraction annoying but no biggy for me. Hadn't really thought about it till it was mentioned.

The main things let the RRP down are:-

* Not being able to load vst's into so can't use a vst in a Combinator.
* Can't scale it.
* Can't undo things in it so the RRP needs built in undo's.
* Can't sample directly into the NN-XT, ReDrum, Grain or Kong (if they updated the NN-XT to include loading samples into it, auto temp-sync'ing of samples and being able to play a sample up / down your midi controller and it not speed up or slow down (in Studio One's Sample One it's called Follow Song and is a simple toggle on / off button) it'd be amazing. Also the same things for Kong, ReDrum and Grain and the ability to drag a sample from say Reapers media browser directly onto a Kong pad (which I wanted to do the other day) or the NN-XT etc.

Since using Reaper however, it has made me realise how far behind Reason is in it's functionality. A lot. I'd say at least 50 features. The things I've been using in it and loving are:-

* Track folders.
* Track templates.
* Manual parameter inputs Inc automation.
* Icons on the occasional track.
* Linked clips and automation.
* Undo history.
* Chord painting in the midi editor.
* Diamond / triangular notes for drums in the midi editor.
* Joining notes in the midi editor.
* Slice By Grid in the midi editor.
* Reversing / inverting notes in the midi editor.
* Labelling the piano keys in the midi editor.
* Viewing multiple midi editor lanes in the one midi editor.
* Right click hold to rub out.
* Note displays are a big help.
* Midi controller key highlighting in the row itself (not the keys on the piano)
* Midi chase is great, no more waiting for the next note.
* Remember last note length.

* Transient sensitivity for audio is great too.

It might only be a small thing as well but being able to slice items (clips) by the playhead is so handy as is having the base point already placed in an automation item ready when you first open it is really handy. Also love the Actions and being able to assign any shortcut you want to anything. I found an action the other day to swap 2 clips (reverse) on one track (so they switch places) and assigned to ctrl r key command.

What I use most in the RRP though is Subtractor for ease of use, Selig De-Esser and the RV7000 as a send on vocals, Synapse Deep Reverb for non vocal (more edm) duties / tracks, Selig Gain and ReDrum and Kong for drums and since they added the drag and drop midi onto a track it's great. Oh and Chord Detector on the RRP and VST's as that's one of the fee features I wish Reaper had, Chord / Key display like Logic.
Last edited by Creativemind on 20 Dec 2020, edited 3 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

20 Dec 2020

raymondh wrote:
19 Dec 2020
You just highlight the selection using that orange line in the timeline area and then right click the timeline area and select "Remove contents of selection (moving later items)"

Even better, go into the Actions List and type "remove contents" then find it and assign it to "ctrl alt backspace" like I just did, thanks for this, very handy. Something I hadn't thought about or needed yet but sure it will come in handy. Also remember in the Insert menu there's Empty space at time selection too, provided you have already selected a time selection which is like Reasons Insert Bars Between Locators.
Attachments
Reaper Remove Contents of Selection.jpg
Reaper Remove Contents of Selection.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 4915 times

paulred67

21 Dec 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
19 Dec 2020
I was very keen to use RRP in Cubase but there are a number of shortfalls to the experience that mean I would rather not bother. I have moaned about them on here before but I will compile a list here just in case...

Lack of multi timbral midi. I want to have a single rack instance with everything in and multiple midi tracks controlling everything

The device samplers are broken. Perfect opportunity to assign side chain input from the host DAW .

Non scalable graphics. Cubase is finally bringing a nearly useable HiDPi mode and now Reason is tiny. Europa VST got it right, RRP needs to as well.

Lack of VST support. I have a ton of combinators with VST in that I want to be able to use.

Lack of Reason Project import. I want to be able to open existing Reason Project racks. Obviously without the sequencer data.

Reason Splash screen on project load. Every project with an RRP instance loads with the Reason Splash screen. It's clunky and irritating.

I think that's it. If they fixed all that stuff then RRP would be my go-to device . Otherwise if I want to do Reason stuff then I prefer either stand alone or loading R10 and using rewire.

I wanted to use RRP in Studio One 5 but these are exactly same reasons my Reason has been hybernated since I upgraded to version 11.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

antic604

21 Dec 2020

Creativemind wrote:
20 Dec 2020
Since using Reaper however, it has made me realise how far behind Reason is in it's functionality. A lot. I'd say at least 50 features. The things I've been using in it and loving are...
I wonder whether Propellerheads were expecting this when they decided to release v11? Many people until then felt that "the grass is always greener on the other side" (literally, I know the proper meaning of this :) ) but were still held "hostage" to Reason. But after v11 they could freely go & explore what's out there and many just won't come back. And won't be buying new REs, either.

Thanks for detailed comment! :)
Music tech enthusiast.

Creativemind

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2020
Creativemind wrote:
20 Dec 2020
Since using Reaper however, it has made me realise how far behind Reason is in it's functionality. A lot. I'd say at least 50 features. The things I've been using in it and loving are...
I wonder whether Propellerheads were expecting this when they decided to release v11? Many people until then felt that "the grass is always greener on the other side" (literally, I know the proper meaning of this :) ) but were still held "hostage" to Reason. But after v11 they could freely go & explore what's out there and many just won't come back. And won't be buying new REs, either.

I wouldn't say "never come back" but for me personally, it would take a lot. Don't know why it would affect anybody buying Re's. It hasn't me.

raymondh

21 Dec 2020

Creativemind wrote:
20 Dec 2020
raymondh wrote:
19 Dec 2020
You just highlight the selection using that orange line in the timeline area and then right click the timeline area and select "Remove contents of selection (moving later items)"

Even better, go into the Actions List and type "remove contents" then find it and assign it to "ctrl alt backspace" like I just did, thanks for this, very handy. Something I hadn't thought about or needed yet but sure it will come in handy. Also remember in the Insert menu there's Empty space at time selection too, provided you have already selected a time selection which is like Reasons Insert Bars Between Locators.
Thank you! Great tip!!

antic604

21 Dec 2020

Creativemind wrote:
21 Dec 2020
Don't know why it would affect anybody buying Re's. It hasn't me.
Well, I think for users of other DAWs it's much more natural to get a VST instead of RE, as they often get deeper discounts & there's 2nd hand market available. But obviously I'm just speculating based on anecdotal - own - experience :)
Music tech enthusiast.

SebAudio

21 Dec 2020

I use the RRP within Live. I didn’t upgrade to the full v11 version but « bought » the lite version at PB. The big disappointement is the remote parameter change stuff which is disturbing because of the naming rules for the exposed parameters : they change their name when changing presets. I still haven’t found a way to be at ease with the RRP as I am with other plugins in Live.

Creativemind

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2020
Creativemind wrote:
21 Dec 2020
Don't know why it would affect anybody buying Re's. It hasn't me.
Well, I think for users of other DAWs it's much more natural to get a VST instead of RE, as they often get deeper discounts & there's 2nd hand market available. But obviously I'm just speculating based on anecdotal - own - experience :)
Well maybe. If I like an RE I will buy an RE though. Bought Sequences the other week and obviously it isn't available as a VST.

zoidkirb

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2020
Creativemind wrote:
20 Dec 2020

According to what I read on KVR from Matthias, Reason as VST was the number one feature request. It's a nice pro consumer attitude of them, to allow users to use the tools they've paid for, in whatever form that takes.

Have they lost customers going for the greener grass? Certainly. But then that's offset by other ex customers being enticed back into the ecosystem and also throwing out one last lifeline to customers who were already leaving.

Next version of RRP is gonna be really interesting as the above market is tapped out now, it's time to make the RRP compelling enough to draw in completely new customers.

Adabler
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2020
No. But why?
So that you can use Reason within Reason. Like in Inception.
:reason: 12, Win10

• Information