Double Tracking Effect from Bcase in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ottostrom

17 Dec 2020

Shop Page

"DTE (Double Tracking Effect) is a simulation of the famous artificial double tracking recording technique. The artificial double tracking effect was introduced in 60's to give a richer and wider sound."

Intro price: 43€
Normal price: 64€
(intro price until Dec 20th)

challism

17 Dec 2020

This thing sounds amazing. I love the sound of that saturation when I turn the drive knobs way up. Great sounding effect device! Congrats to Bcase for the release!

Here's some interesting info about the history of double tracking, originally developed by Abbey Road Studios, at the request of (and made famous by) The Beatles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_double_tracking
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

17 Dec 2020

Looks interesting. It's kind of tape pitch wobbling with additional saturation.
Reason12, Win10

Ottostrom

17 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Looks interesting. It's kind of tape pitch wobbling with additional saturation.
It seems to be heavily inspired by Waves Reel ADT both in looks and functionality

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

I usually hook something like this up by myself with Wavesfactory Cassette and Pulsar, which allows you to have actual tape artifacts as well if you want. Won't be buying this for 43€ but it's cool to see something like that in RE format.
Demo should have been with vocals tbh :) John Lennon says hi!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Faastwalker

17 Dec 2020

I'd not heard of double tracking before. Sounds interesting. This RE looks fantastic as well. Will check it out.

chaosroyale

18 Dec 2020

I love the GUI - looks like an original Reason device (used to) look.

However, for the price...this is fundamentally a really basic effect that already comes with Reason (tape Echo). Maybe this one has a particularly lovely sounding saturation or really subtle tape wow..but, I'm not really convinced. Then again, that nice space-saving GUI could be a selling point for ppl who don't want to use FX combinators.

If you're broke and want that John Lennon sound or just a really old-school tape chorus, you could make it in a few minutes in Reason for free.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2020

iZotope free Vocal Doubler:
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/vocal-doubler.html
Add some saturation using the plugin of your choice.
Tadaa!!!

Oh yeah... Chow Analog Tape Model for artifacts and tape saturation. Also free.
https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2020

A reminder to myself that I need to go get glasses

chaosroyale

18 Dec 2020

Or use this combi I made in 5 minutes using only Reason native devices.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7520870

*not intended to be a copy of the RE, but for ppl with no money, this will get you that Lennon effect or a really wide and huge "vintage tape chorus" for free.
MrFigg wrote:
18 Dec 2020
Tadaa!!!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
18 Dec 2020
Or use this combi I made in 5 minutes using only Reason native devices.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7520870

*not intended to be a copy of the RE, but for ppl with no money, this will get you that Lennon effect or a really wide and huge "vintage tape chorus" for free.
MrFigg wrote:
18 Dec 2020
Tadaa!!!

I guess between us we’ve saved a few people €43 :). It’s probably a pretty good RE anyway but I don’t need it myself.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

chaosroyale

18 Dec 2020

I think it looks great, really well laid-out. And I am sure it sounds good. I just wish they had expanded it to the next level, with features that you can't easily do with the Reason devices. Maybe they will do an update. I only made that combinator because, as you already pointed out, there are so many ways to do this effect for free already.
MrFigg wrote:
18 Dec 2020
I guess between us we’ve saved a few people €43 :). It’s probably a pretty good RE anyway but I don’t need it myself.

Loque

18 Dec 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
18 Dec 2020
I think it looks great, really well laid-out. And I am sure it sounds good. I just wish they had expanded it to the next level, with features that you can't easily do with the Reason devices. Maybe they will do an update. I only made that combinator because, as you already pointed out, there are so many ways to do this effect for free already.
MrFigg wrote:
18 Dec 2020
As far as i see, you canot have the timing set in this detail with Reason stock devices. In the DTE it starts from 1ms and steps by 0.01ms. The saturation is a thing on its own and requires a comparison in detail, but personally i nearly never met any saturation devices, which sound the same.

What could be expanded here in functionality?
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

18 Dec 2020

Oh, absolutely, and I said in the other thread, my combinator is not supposed to be a copy of this RE. However, my combinator does sound pretty much as good as the RE in most use-cases, and it's free.

(If Reason studios ever bothered updating their old devices, we would be able to control the delay steps with finer, more "analog" precision. Just another thing they should work on in my opinion. Echo is really showing its age, not in a good way.)

As for the functionality of this device, well, if it was a little cheaper, I think its fine. But for the price they are asking, they could have maybe given - for example - options for different kinds of delay, such as BBD or wire recorder.
Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2020
As far as i see, you canot have the timing set in this detail with Reason stock devices.

Loque

18 Dec 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
18 Dec 2020
Oh, absolutely, and I said in the other thread, my combinator is not supposed to be a copy of this RE. However, my combinator does sound pretty much as good as the RE in most use-cases, and it's free.

(If Reason studios ever bothered updating their old devices, we would be able to control the delay steps with finer, more "analog" precision. Just another thing they should work on in my opinion. Echo is really showing its age, not in a good way.)

As for the functionality of this device, well, if it was a little cheaper, I think its fine. But for the price they are asking, they could have maybe given - for example - options for different kinds of delay, such as BBD or wire recorder.
Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2020
As far as i see, you canot have the timing set in this detail with Reason stock devices.
Yea, i always hoped for a delay with finer adjustments in the low time values, so i could create Haas, chorus, phaser or flanger effects in more detail and even modulate them. But i give up the hope of any Reason stock fx improvements. I dont think we will ever see a good addition to an existing fx like in the RV7000, which btw. could really need an overhaul too, like finer comvolution sample adjustments, bigger time display, more accurate gate, finer timings and smooth modulations.
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

18 Dec 2020

Oh, the RV7000 breaks my heart.. 17 years (!) ago it was, without doubt, the BEST reverb in any DAW. Now, I never use it. Even the mk.ii update didn't save it - too little, too late. Anything from Valhalla costs just 50 bucks anyway tho..
Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2020
the RV7000, which btw. could really need an overhaul too,

BRIGGS

18 Dec 2020

GUI = :thumbs_up:
r11s

bitley

19 Dec 2020

ReDrum's built in double tracker is sweet & the old red DDL has fine settings to do various tricks! Reason says "Don't you forget about me!"

BRIGGS

19 Dec 2020

bitley wrote:
19 Dec 2020
ReDrum's built in double tracker is sweet & the old red DDL has fine settings to do various tricks! Reason says "Don't you forget about me!"
r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
19 Dec 2020
bitley wrote:
19 Dec 2020
Always thought Johnny and the Self Abusers was a better name. Guess Jim Kerr decided changing it to Simple Minds was the price of fame. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2021

I should've picked this up when it was on sale! Reel ADT is cheaper (almost half the price) but I'd still much rather use RE. Bcase makes great stuff.

• Information