Automating Redrum pattern changes in Studio One

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
spencer335

17 Dec 2020

Hi all -

I've tried a few approaches and can get to the point where I have the option to automate pattern selection on my Studio One track, but the patterns appear to be represented as a decimal number between 0 and 1 and I have no idea where, say, pattern A4 will land without trial and error.

Is there an easy guide to mapping this to, say, MIDI notes (e.g. C0 would represent pattern A1) in RRP?

I tried dragging the pattern as MIDI, but this just plays the notes on Redrum itself (and I'm trying to trigger other devices) ...

Any other good approaches?

Thanks!

visheshl

18 Dec 2020

yea same in Ableton too...and i think on any other daw. the best thing would be i think to record automation and do the actual change in the pattern from RRP device itself

visheshl

18 Dec 2020

there is a disable pattern led button on redrum. called enable pattern section.turn it off once you have dragged the midi clip to the sequencer track. otherwise redrum will keep playing the pattern from the pattern section

PhillipOrdonez

18 Dec 2020

In live the number gives you clues. It goes from zero to like 10k or something? If I wasn't pattern two, between circa 2000 and 2999 it will be pattern 2. Maybe you got to test a bit and learn how many decimals it is on S1, maybe write it down of our doesn't make sense like in live.

spencer335

18 Dec 2020

Thanks for the help. I guess the thing to do is record the automation I want and then cut and paste it around to different parts of the song

I was hoping there was something more elegant - ReWire was always clunky in many ways, but it did allow me to use the parts of the Reason sequencer that I liked.

antic604

20 Dec 2020

How is this difficult? Just divide the range by number of available patterns and you'll get the idea where they are. If there's say 8 patterns available in the device, then for a range of 0-1 pattern will change with 0.125 increments.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

visheshl

20 Dec 2020

isnt the easier thibg to just press record and change the pattern from the pattern device itself ?

Jackjackdaw

20 Dec 2020

This could go on my list of things I don't like about the RRP. Pattern change lanes in standalone work so much better than figuring out the fractional increments of an automation lane in the host DAW. I think they are one of Reason's unique strong points.

visheshl

20 Dec 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
20 Dec 2020
This could go on my list of things I don't like about the RRP. Pattern change lanes in standalone work so much better than figuring out the fractional increments of an automation lane in the host DAW. I think they are one of Reason's unique strong points.
well thats not RRPs fault though, thats just how the current automation system works. unless that changes Reason studios cant di anything about that.
this needs to be implemented by stienberg, who made and own the VST standard,where the plugin presents a group of values to the daw for automation and the daw shows those values. it could be numbers, decimals, alphabets etc.

spencer335

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2020
How is this difficult? Just divide the range by number of available patterns and you'll get the idea where they are. If there's say 8 patterns available in the device, then for a range of 0-1 pattern will change with 0.125 increments.
First-world problems I suppose, but I found it difficult to be precise enough with the mouse to draw .125 increments vs. say, .124 or .126. I can just type in the right number, of course, but I was imagining something more intuitive for my personal workflow ...

For me, MIDI notes would be less ambiguous (and is how I've changed patterns using Maschine in the past) - C0 could be pattern A1, C#0 could be pattern A2, etc. I was hoping there was some way to use the same concept ...

antic604

21 Dec 2020

spencer335 wrote:
21 Dec 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2020
First-world problems I suppose, but I found it difficult to be precise enough with the mouse to draw .125 increments vs. say, .124 or .126. I can just type in the right number, of course, but I was imagining something more intuitive for my personal workflow ...

For me, MIDI notes would be less ambiguous (and is how I've changed patterns using Maschine in the past) - C0 could be pattern A1, C#0 could be pattern A2, etc. I was hoping there was some way to use the same concept ...
You don't have to be precise, though. 0 - 0.125 is 1st pattern, 0.126 - 0.250 is 2nd, 0.251 - 0.375 is 3rd and so on...
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Jackjackdaw

21 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
20 Dec 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
20 Dec 2020
well thats not RRPs fault though, thats just how the current automation system works. unless that changes Reason studios cant di anything about that.
this needs to be implemented by stienberg, who made and own the VST standard,where the plugin presents a group of values to the daw for automation and the daw shows those values. it could be numbers, decimals, alphabets etc.
Yeah I know, but it impacts the experience. The pattern change mechanics are very specific for Reason standalone and it's a fantastic system but doesn't translate well. All the Cubase devices use midi note data to change patterns rather than automation data. Maybe if RS implemented pattern change by midi notes in the RRP it would fit better in host DAWs.

spencer335

21 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2020

You don't have to be precise, though. 0 - 0.125 is 1st pattern, 0.126 - 0.250 is 2nd, 0.251 - 0.375 is 3rd and so on...
Fair enough - no need for me to be precise about hitting .125 just because it is a round number and it is easy to be close enough with 8 patterns. But Redrum has 32 patterns and the real estate starts to get tight.

I'll throw in a feature request for "pattern change by MIDI notes" (now that JackjackDAW has helped articulate a name for the feature that I want). Like anyone else, I've been waiting for other features for nearly a decade (and many people were waiting for the same ones for longer than that) and I won't hold my breath for this one. I'm actually comforted to know that it isn't possible and that it wasn't about me being too dense to figure it out.

songsmite

15 Sep 2021

Isn't there just a corresponding midi channel setup to use key notes to change the pattern? This is really incredibly dumb of Reason not to have it like this, literally every other drum machine on the market can be controlled by standard midi notes.
Unless I just haven't found it yet..

artotaku

15 Sep 2021

songsmite wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Isn't there just a corresponding midi channel setup to use key notes to change the pattern? This is really incredibly dumb of Reason not to have it like this, literally every other drum machine on the market can be controlled by standard midi notes.
Unless I just haven't found it yet..
With Dr. Octorex you can switch slots by notes, with Redrum you can´t. But now, with R12 combi 2 you can when putting the Redrum into the combi.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7524537&p=571941#p571941

spencer335

18 Sep 2021

artotaku wrote:
15 Sep 2021
With Dr. Octorex you can switch slots by notes, with Redrum you can´t. But now, with R12 combi 2 you can when putting the Redrum into the combi.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7524537&p=571941#p571941
Wow - that is really clever. I just went from skipping this upgrade to debating whether I should get in under the wire at $129.

Jackjackdaw

18 Sep 2021

Yeah the pattern change by midi note is a biggie for RRP users. Maybe they read my post in this necro thread!

RoseHelen

27 Sep 2021

Exactly the same with Ableton...and, I believe, any other DAW. I believe the best option is to record automation and make the real pattern change from the RRP device itself.

• Information