eusti wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Any opinions on let's say how
1) Dive compares to Dune3?
2) Repro conpares to Legend?
3) Zebra compares to Phase Plant?
Regarding 2): Repro is an emulation of the Pro-One (Repro 5 of the the Prophet 5) and Legend is a Minimoog emulation.

D.
Thanks for the info. Do you have the Arturia Prophet V?
Reason12, Win10

eusti

17 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2020
eusti wrote:
17 Dec 2020

Regarding 2): Repro is an emulation of the Pro-One (Repro 5 of the the Prophet 5) and Legend is a Minimoog emulation.

D.
I don't. I have Repro and Behringer Pro-1 and like both of them... Don't use Repro as much as I thought I would though... No clue why...

D.

Heater

17 Dec 2020

Time to finally get the Repro.

raymondh

17 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2020
eusti wrote:
17 Dec 2020

D.
I own Diva, Dune3, Repro, Legend, Zebra, Arturia Collection. I have not used Phase Plant.

- Diva sound vintage, Dune3 sound modern/contemporary. Both excellent synths you could make Diva sound more modern and Dune more vintage but you have to work more at it. Dune3 is more complex and wider palette. Diva is closer to hardware IMO.

- Repro is an excellent, organic sounding Prophet 1/5 emulation. I never use Arturia Prophet V, I find it a bit 'static' and bland. Repro sounds alive.

- The Legend is an excellent Minimoog emulation. Use it all the time too. I never use the Arturia Minimoog V, I find it a bit 'static' and bland. See the pattern :)

- Zebra is really flexible and powerful, and it sounds nice, but I hardly ever use it. I don't find it 'fun' to program. I can't explain why :)

In general I'm a huge fan of u-he synths (and Synapse Audio) - this is a great deal!!

Heater

17 Dec 2020

EdGrip wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Legend is a very good emulation of a Moog.
Repro is a very good emulation of a Prophet. (Actually, two prophets - the Prophet One mono synth and the Prophet-5 polysynth.)

A Moog and a Prophet 5 are quite different beasts.

This superb video series, by Dan Worrell, gives you a good idea of what Repro-5 is about. (There's a separate Repro-1 series)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNNH ... 2j_QhTWcbV

Yes. The biggest difference being the filter. Typically Moogs loose bass end when the resonance goes up. The Prophets don’t. Makes having both of them a good choice in your sonic arsenal.

Mataya

17 Dec 2020

Despondo wrote:
17 Dec 2020
I wish Bazille was on there. It's the only synth of theirs I don't own. I still will pick up Satin at this price!
Damn it!

M

Loque

17 Dec 2020

raymondh wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2020

I own Diva, Dune3, Repro, Legend, Zebra, Arturia Collection. I have not used Phase Plant.

- Diva sound vintage, Dune3 sound modern/contemporary. Both excellent synths you could make Diva sound more modern and Dune more vintage but you have to work more at it. Dune3 is more complex and wider palette. Diva is closer to hardware IMO.

- Repro is an excellent, organic sounding Prophet 1/5 emulation. I never use Arturia Prophet V, I find it a bit 'static' and bland. Repro sounds alive.

- The Legend is an excellent Minimoog emulation. Use it all the time too. I never use the Arturia Minimoog V, I find it a bit 'static' and bland. See the pattern :)

- Zebra is really flexible and powerful, and it sounds nice, but I hardly ever use it. I don't find it 'fun' to program. I can't explain why :)

In general I'm a huge fan of u-he synths (and Synapse Audio) - this is a great deal!!
Thanks. I guess i need to try them...
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

Can vouch for Repro(-5). This thing is alive and breathes. Beautiful patches available, esp. the Luftrum ones.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Skullture

17 Dec 2020

Finally got the repros and the Hive. So good :!:

Too bad my macbook doesn't like Repro 5 with many voices on HQ.

Mataya

17 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Can you put audio through the stomp boxes in Repro?
I'm preeeety sure you want it just to plug your giutar trough that wavefolding distortion it has. I swear, I want that synth just for that distortion. Best I've heard.

M

Despondo
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2020
It doesn't have NKS support, so that's why I guess it's missing from the deal.

Have you considered getting Bazille CM (+dozens of other VSTs) by buying an issue of Computer Music? It's like below 5EUR, or something:

https://u-he.com/products/bazillecm/
Right. That makes sense! I DO have the CM version...Just want the big brother. LOL!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

Mataya wrote:
17 Dec 2020
MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Can you put audio through the stomp boxes in Repro?
I'm preeeety sure you want it just to plug your giutar trough that wavefolding distortion it has. I swear, I want that synth just for that distortion. Best I've heard.

M
...so can I? I’m guessing not.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Mataya

17 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Mataya wrote:
17 Dec 2020

M
I really don't know. I only have CM Bazille and tried repro when it came out and I was blown away by the distortion.
I'm not sure if this is only for Steinberg synths, but I remember that you can activate sidechain option on Retrologue(steinberg snyth) and then it recieves audio from another track for example. I'm pretty sure it has to be vst3. So is this only steinberg thing or works on third party vsts, don't know. I only have vst2 installed.

M

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

Mataya wrote:
17 Dec 2020
MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2020

I really don't know. I only have CM Bazille and tried repro when it came out and I was blown away by the distortion.
I'm not sure if this is only for Steinberg synths, but I remember that you can activate sidechain option on Retrologue(steinberg snyth) and then it recieves audio from another track for example. I'm pretty sure it has to be vst3. So is this only steinberg thing or works on third party vsts, don't know. I only have vst2 installed.

M
Ok. Thanks:)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

tallguy

17 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Mataya wrote:
17 Dec 2020

M
No, you can't put any external sound through them. I've checked more than once, trying to wish it into existence :)

And I agree, best FX you'll find on any soft synth.
Last edited by tallguy on 17 Dec 2020, edited 3 times in total.

Mataya

17 Dec 2020

For all of you who decide to buy something from U-he and like to randomise a lot.
Here's a patch that's floating around for a really long time and it just randomise any u-he device. It works gereat with my CM bazille. You just have to copy it to all the folders that has presets in it and it will appear at the end of the preset list.
You select a preset and then click on that last preset you copy/have in all preset folders. AND...it randomises it.

BE CAREFUL not to blow up you speakers or ears...put a limiter, because it can sometimes go really loud. But most of the time you get something useful. What will come out from randomisation depends on the previous preset that you selected. Which is really cool.

Maybe you'll find it useful. It sure is to me.

tx
M
Zufallstrans4mator.7z
(544 Bytes) Downloaded 52 times

EdGrip

17 Dec 2020

The bbd delay in Repro was the origin of Color Copy. The Tape module is Satin with very few controls, and you can load Satin presets on it (apparently, I've never tried it).

hurricane
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

I too was looking forward to a Bazille deal as that is the only synth I don't have. Huge fan of Hive cuz it does an authentic-sounding Jp-8080 Supersaw. My favorite though is Zebra - man, that thing can do ANYTHING. If you're looking for a synth that let's you get shit done quick, Zebra is it. There are tons of 3rd party soundbanks available for it, and Zebra's sound quality is exceptional, so there's no need to try and enhance its sound by layering or adding a ton of fx to it, like you have to do with REs. Ever notice how tracks done primarily with REs sound "computery"? You won't get that with Zebra. It's got a luxe sound and your tracks are going to get an audible sound upgrade with minimal effort.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

tallguy

17 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
17 Dec 2020
I too was looking forward to a Bazille deal as that is the only synth I don't have...
I played around with the trial version for half a year before I finally bit the bullet. Haven't regretted it once, there's nothing else like it.

raymondh

17 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
17 Dec 2020
I too was looking forward to a Bazille deal as that is the only synth I don't have. Huge fan of Hive cuz it does an authentic-sounding Jp-8080 Supersaw. My favorite though is Zebra - man, that thing can do ANYTHING. If you're looking for a synth that let's you get shit done quick, Zebra is it. There are tons of 3rd party soundbanks available for it, and Zebra's sound quality is exceptional, so there's no need to try and enhance its sound by layering or adding a ton of fx to it, like you have to do with REs. Ever notice how tracks done primarily with REs sound "computery"? You won't get that with Zebra. It's got a luxe sound and your tracks are going to get an audible sound upgrade with minimal effort.
Well, this praise coming from you is encouraging me to spend more time with Zebra!! Cheers!

Despondo
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
17 Dec 2020
I agree...Zebra is my desert Island synth.

hurricane
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2020

I saw an interview with Hans Zimmer, and I don't remember where it was from but he was talking about synths and how (and I'm paraphrasing here) it's not worth your time to mess with shitty sounding synths, that you should select a FEW exceptional sounding synths, learn them inside out, and because they're great sounding synths, you'll have an advantage immediately. He picked Zebra as one of those synths. That made me think about how much time I've wasted trying to make shitty synths sound amazing (most of my Reason life), and while Hans's advice isn't exactly revolutionary, it made me realize how much time I was wasting and so I've started going through all my synths and am slowly disabling all the shitty ones. Now you can argue that weeding out the shitty synths is a subjective thing, but is it really? IS IT?? You have a soft spot for Subtractor, I get it, we all do, but c'mon. That Reason 1 track challenge was not fun. It just reminded me how much I struggled trying to make Reason (Subtractor in particular) sound good. You think it's fun to layer the shit out of things, then good for you. I'll just use one instance of Zebra or Omnisphere or Pigments.

I've been contemplating going through my synth and effect collection for a while, and even though I felt the "but you spent so much money on this stuff" knife in my back, I started doing it this week. I decided to get rid of most of my rack extensions (again), I decided to never use any of Reason's synths except for Monotone, I started tossing out most of my VST plugins even though I paid lots of $$$ for them. I've been going through all my synths and have been making some tough decisions. Goodbye KHS ONE, I never liked you anyway. Viking, you were one of my firsts - but sorry, DIVA does your thing really well, plus it can do more and it sounds better to me. Predator - you were also one of my firsts, but I never really liked you, you were just one of the first synth REs from a "top" dev, your sound is flat and outdated, plus Albino was/still is way better. Hey Prophet by Arturia, you've been replaced by Repro-5. HIVE is an all-around fantastic synth, and that one alone can replace many. All the Kontakt pianos and EPs that I've collected over the years have been replaced by Keyscape. God, what a weight off my back!

I used to be the type who would buy a new synth because I foolishly thought it would spark a new idea, therefore the purchase would be worth it. No, it wasnt. I just ended up with more mediocre synth glut.

So that's it bros, I'm going to start really getting into my synths, and making each synth count. I'm going to start spending a lot of quality time with my chosen ones, because I know that comfort and familiarity are key. Audio quality is my number 1 concern now. Fortunately, most of the higher quality synths out there also come with great GUIs and solid workflows. I'm looking at you, U-he. All your synths make my list. :puf_smile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

stuk71

18 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
17 Dec 2020
I saw an interview with Hans Zimmer, and I don't remember where it was from but he was talking about synths and how (and I'm paraphrasing here) it's not worth your time to mess with shitty sounding synths, that you should select a FEW exceptional sounding synths, learn them inside out, and because they're great sounding synths, you'll have an advantage immediately. He picked Zebra as one of those synths. That made me think about how much time I've wasted trying to make shitty synths sound amazing (most of my Reason life), and while Hans's advice isn't exactly revolutionary, it made me realize how much time I was wasting and so I've started going through all my synths and am slowly disabling all the shitty ones. Now you can argue that weeding out the shitty synths is a subjective thing, but is it really? IS IT?? You have a soft spot for Subtractor, I get it, we all do, but c'mon. That Reason 1 track challenge was not fun. It just reminded me how much I struggled trying to make Reason (Subtractor in particular) sound good. You think it's fun to layer the shit out of things, then good for you. I'll just use one instance of Zebra or Omnisphere or Pigments.

I've been contemplating going through my synth and effect collection for a while, and even though I felt the "but you spent so much money on this stuff" knife in my back, I started doing it this week. I decided to get rid of most of my rack extensions (again), I decided to never use any of Reason's synths except for Monotone, I started tossing out most of my VST plugins even though I paid lots of $$$ for them. I've been going through all my synths and have been making some tough decisions. Goodbye KHS ONE, I never liked you anyway. Viking, you were one of my firsts - but sorry, DIVA does your thing really well, plus it can do more and it sounds better to me. Predator - you were also one of my firsts, but I never really liked you, you were just one of the first synth REs from a "top" dev, your sound is flat and outdated, plus Albino was/still is way better. Hey Prophet by Arturia, you've been replaced by Repro-5. HIVE is an all-around fantastic synth, and that one alone can replace many. All the Kontakt pianos and EPs that I've collected over the years have been replaced by Keyscape. God, what a weight off my back!

I used to be the type who would buy a new synth because I foolishly thought it would spark a new idea, therefore the purchase would be worth it. No, it wasnt. I just ended up with more mediocre synth glut.

So that's it bros, I'm going to start really getting into my synths, and making each synth count. I'm going to start spending a lot of quality time with my chosen ones, because I know that comfort and familiarity are key. Audio quality is my number 1 concern now. Fortunately, most of the higher quality synths out there also come with great GUIs and solid workflows. I'm looking at you, U-he. All your synths make my list. :puf_smile:
A bit of ‘life laundry’ going on there I feel :puf_smile:

Much thanks. I don’t own any U-he synths, so I’m off to purchase Zebra 2 after reading this thread.

EDIT: proud owner of Zebra 2.9 and Dark Zebra... only loaded three patches and warm honey started pouring out of my monitors - no GAS to be seen
Last edited by stuk71 on 18 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

18 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
17 Dec 2020

I agree so far about high quality synth and fx. If i could start again, i directly would buy only a few things, even if they are quite pricey. But all i have bought, tried and played over the last couple of years leads me to this conclusion and only today with my experience i can hear abd find the differences.

As an example i just realized how a good filter can sound and currently the Soundtoys and Arturia SEM are my favorites and the filters in Europa just sound like crap, like in a lot of other synths. Maybe with a bunch of tweaking, noise adding, modulations, smoothing... You can get close, compared to the simplicity of just a good filter.
Reason12, Win10

danc

18 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Wholeheartedly agree... however, what I would say is... yes, the u-he synths are proper top-drawer synths, but if you've already got let's say VPS Avenger, Falcon, Serum, Massive X, PhasePlant, Model 72, Pigments, Thorn or any of those other top-drawer synths from other developers I'd definitely say hold your horses and even at 50% off don't buy u-he for the sake of GAS. Yes Zerbra is great, but you can get similar great sounds from Avenger, Massive X, or PP.

Maybe we would all be wiser to spend our time and attention on music theory. Musicians with solid music theory skills can get even the worst sounding instruments to sound amazing. When musically talented friends pop around that pick up my kids totally out of tune and missing multiple strings ukulele and knock out something awe-inspiring you soon realise that it's not the instrument that is at fault.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information