Favorite REs released in 2020?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

So 2020 is almost over. What has been some of your favorite RE releases this year?

(Try to make sure the REs you mention are actually released in 2020. I know release dates change in the Shop after an update hits, but it can still help a little bit. Also checking the date in My Orders can help to some extent. For example if it says you bought something in 2019.)

DougalDarkly

14 Dec 2020

Evolution.

Also Sequences 1.4 - I think Sequences predates 2020(?), but the Note Conditions update this year pushed me over the edge...

DParris

14 Dec 2020

Really liking two new comps: Forgotten Compressor from Forgotten Clank, and Precision Stereo Compressor from Red Rock.

As if I needed more compressors...

rgdaniel

14 Dec 2020

In my mind, we have a tie: Evolution, and Friktion.

Loque

14 Dec 2020

Friktion or Obsession...
Not sure, which RE came out this year...
Reason12, Win10

DJMaytag

14 Dec 2020

Obsession
Omega Insert, though it might not be official yet?
Dual CV Source

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

i didn't take notes but, maybe Phrase by ReTouch? maybe thats from last year though

if Noel reads this it would be a handy addition to ReInventory to be able to sort by original year released.
- Certified Reason expert

Billy+

14 Dec 2020

I think the only 2020 release RE's I have are Evolution & Friktion but I still haven't got round to using Friktion yet and I might end up with Mutation before the end of 2020 so I'm going to have to think about it a bit longer.

Anyone got Evolution and Mutation, what one do you find better?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

Haven't tried that many new RE releases this year.

Beatmap is pretty cool. I've used it in a couple of tracks. It's a good RE, if you use it correctly that is, meaning take what it gives you as inspiration and then tweak the beat yourself. It's just there to give you new ideas to start from. It won't make the music for you.

Evolution is nice too. Same here. Take what it gives you as rough ideas. You might hear a cool rhythm or a short sequence of notes that are nice. Take that and turn it into something bigger and more polished.

Recently got the ES400 and ES101. Imo they really start to shine when I add some external effects to them. Maybe some distortion or a nice reverb. Nothing wrong with that. Many sounds just benefit from a little extra boost, that's all.

I really really tried to like Obsession. I mean I pretty much like everything else from Synapse. But for some reason I just couldn't get into Obsession. It sounds great. It's a quality instrument. But still I found the sounds to be very uninspiring for the music I make. Scrolling through all the patches and I hardly wanted to make music with any of them. Also Obsession is not nearly as intuitive and easy to work with as Legend. So that was a turn off too. Was so sure I was gonna buy it before I tried it, just by knowing it was Synapse, but nope. Not for me.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

I don't have many doubts on this one.

Friktion is my favorite release of the year!

zoidkirb

14 Dec 2020

Autosub. Not the most dazzling RE ever created, but it finds its way into most of my projects now.

Biolumin3sc3nt

14 Dec 2020

Sequences has had My most usage this year. I love that lil Guy

joeyluck

14 Dec 2020

Off the top of my head, some of my favorites from 2020 are:
  • Tribute by Speo Music - Incredible sound and very innovative interface with its super fun knobs and unique and useful approach to the mod matrix.
  • ES400 by Ekssperimental Sounds - As a DX100 owner and fan, I am very happy with this inspired-by synth.
  • AutoLatch by Static Cling - A player that can quickly give a different flavor to a phrase/sequence without changing the order.
  • Pattern Mutator by Reason Studios/Robotic Bean - A very handy step recorder and way for me to quickly create and audition variations.
  • Evolution by Lectric Panda - I like to use this primarily on bass lines, and I appreciate the rather unexpected results.
  • Velocity Curve by Andrew Russell - Simple and elegant and does the job.

LukeDunn

14 Dec 2020

Sequences for sure!

gullum

14 Dec 2020

don't have any favorite for this year and I doubt I have bought any at all this year

guitfnky

14 Dec 2020

I haven’t purchased too many new REs this year, but Turn2On’s Ghammy was definitely a really good purchase. super fun to use, and easy to come up with something unexpected that sounds great.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

challism

14 Dec 2020

COVID-19 was by far the best virus of the year.
OP, you did say virus, didn't you?

To be fair, I haven't tried all the REs that have been released in 2020.... but of the REs I have tried....
I'm going to go with Static Cling - AutoLatch because of how many alternative variations it can add to a phrase; I'm continually blown away by how much of a difference this player can make just by changing the gate length. And to think that I initially dismissed this player with a "meh" reaction. I didn't realize how powerful it can be until I tried it. I knew I was going to buy it about 5 minutes into my trial.

I think I use Latch in just about every player stack I have, it's that powerful. And the small amount of real estate it takes up is a huge plus. My favorite players to stack above it are MIDI-CV Converter (obviously), Euclidean, Komulsion (arp mode), BeatMap (turning those quick drum hits into longer sustained notes), Delta (because Delta is amazing and it does just about everything you can imagine).

Honorable mentions:
* Forgotten Clank - Omega Mastering Clipper (and to think it was a free BF gift! Thanks again, Forgotten Clank!)
* Robotic Bean - Sequences 1.4 update (how great are those conditions!)
* Lectric Panda - Evolution (unexpected results... great for coming up with some unexpected flair - also works really well with Euclidean and Latch)
* RS - Friktion (it sounds great and it's a lot of fun)
* RS - BeatMap (I like to use this for more than just making drum beats, it's also great for coming up with musical phrases with Latch)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

rorystorm

15 Dec 2020

Basically, anything by Ekssperimental Sounds rules. But if I had to pick one, the 4 channel dub pre-amp is it.

Although in fact I use the ES204 filter delay more, it's in every track I've made recently.

So, one of those.

Ottostrom

15 Dec 2020

Autosub & Omega DEQ :)

Ottostrom

15 Dec 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Obsession
Dual CV Source
Is Omega Insert a new RE from Forgotten Clank which hasn't been released yet?

Loque

15 Dec 2020

Ottostrom wrote:
15 Dec 2020
DJMaytag wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Obsession
Dual CV Source
Guess yes. Someone forgot to be quiet and inserted too much info into the post...
Reason12, Win10

DJMaytag

15 Dec 2020

Ottostrom wrote:
15 Dec 2020
DJMaytag wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Obsession
Dual CV Source
The shop approved it, but he decided not to release it. I do have a license for it.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Dec 2020

Tough to pick one.

I guess my top three are beatmap, pattern mutator and evolution.

Faastwalker

15 Dec 2020

Friktion for me. Amazing device. Really blown away by this one.

I can't remember what else came out in 2020 that I bought :?

• Information